“Thieving Waitress -- Bad Food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Des Moines, Iowa
“Thieving Waitress -- Bad Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I understand that on a holiday it can be a really bad day for workers. I know--I worked food service on holidays in the past. But for a place that charges as much as it does--I want my money's worth. It took ten minutes for a waitress to get to us--they honestly weren't busy at the time. She forgot to ask for our order and ran off before we could place it. Ten minutes later she is back. She was at least polite. Our sushi fell apart and the ingredients looked --- old. The fish was chewy, the rice was kinda hard, and the cucumber was slimy.

I ordered the beef yakisoba since at the time we decided not to get the grilled food. This looked worse than something you could get from an entree at the mall. All the veggies were brown, they spiced it WAY too much with nutmeg and it was all I could taste--which is probably to hide the fact the food is outdated. Water leaked at the bottom of my dish.

And to top it all off--after two days I checked my card statement. Without my acknowledgment, the waitress gave herself another $5 tip. I always tip well in cash-- $8 for a $30 meal is a pretty good tip. I've worked in food service and I always tip waitresses well.

For good service-- Go to Ohana, Waterfront, or Zen. Waterfront still has the #1 sushi in my book. And you can't beat Ohana's for the show aspect of the food.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

grimes, iowa
“Used to be a fan-No More!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

After being an avid fan of Taki since opening in Des Moines, my experience yesterday changed how I feel about this place. While we go for the cooking at the table experience and the quality of the food and not the sushi as a rule, I'm afraid it is mostly due to the customer service which we received. This place is not cheap, so I expect quality food. We had an overly zealous young waiter...I can appreciate his enthusiasm but don't need the bashing about why our group wasn't as great as he was even when working...so why were we only good when he greeted us and asked us how we were? Our chef was amiable and the food was pretty good this time, not as good as times past. The final blows came when our server told us the manager was making him put a mandatory 15-20% gratuity on our bill. I don't recall seeing this stated anywhere on the menu or at the time of our reservation for 9. Sadly, they probably would've come out ahead if he hadn't made the gratuity mandatory on our bill of $350.00
When trying to use a $200. VISA gift card, he came back and told us it was declined. I called the number on the back of the card and the value was indeed what I told him...$200. I think they didn't want to bother splitting the bill onto a VISA debit card and another card. We weren't thanked upon leaving from the manager, and felt rushed to get out after dinner. They were busing our table before we even got our coats on at the table to leave. We were the first table at 5:00 on a Sunday to be served, were we over an imaginary time allotment? We weren't sitting leisurely at the table chatting and drinking either. And so what if we were for $350.00??

There are other Japanese Steakhouses around town we haven't tried, but will now. And oh, for sushi? Waterfront has some of the best in town!!

See ya Taki...we will nott miss you.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Des Moines, Ia
“HATED THE SUSHI”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

After hearing time and time again from friends that raved about the Sushi here my husband and I decided to try it. We were so disappointed. They gave us 3 of their "best" and it was all bad. I'll stick with the Water Front in Ankeny for sushi - their CHUCK NORRIS, ANKENY ROLL and DES MOINES roll at The Water Front are out of this world delicious and put Taki to shame. We'll never go there again.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The food is AWESOME here! I must agree that the servers and bartenders are foul-mouthed and obnoxious. Because of...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

The food is AWESOME here! I must agree that the servers and bartenders are foul-mouthed and obnoxious. Because of that, I would rather visit Zen downtown or Waterfront.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Very good sushi. Unfortunately, this place can be super crowded, and some of the staff can be kind of pretentious. I...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

Very good sushi. Unfortunately, this place can be super crowded, and some of the staff can be kind of pretentious. I would give it 5 stars for the food, but the atmosphere of the restaurant can be kind of off-putting.