“Nice but ....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 hotels in Urbandale
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
“Nice but ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Quite tricky to find since the GPS turned me away from the property and around a frontage type road. I suppose it may have been so I could see the sign on side of the building way up the hill, beyond the Machine Shed and Comfort Suites. A sign with an arrow on that frontage road might have been more help since there was already a sign there for the Living History Farm.

Fortunately I asked people who were exiting their car, at the Comfort Suites. They directed me to the red lamp posts that seem to delineate the property line. The Sleep Inn appeared to be new-ish, well maintained, with a computer nook in the lobby, a fire going in the gas fireplace, and the front desk people were cheerful as they informed me my reservation was canceled and there was no room at the Inn.

There was a manager who noted they had an emergency "check out" so if I could be patient, they would see about getting housekeeping to check the room while they worked at getting it available in their system to check me in. They busied themselves with the computer, checking in other guests for a bit, and then announced I was all set.

Off I went to the room which was nice and appeared pleasant enough till I started to unpack. The room was meant for a man since there was so little space to put things down. Maybe if there was a luggage rack it would free the space in the closet area where I had squeezed my purse and small suitcase.

Don't get me wrong, it had a nice large flat screen TV, nice carpet, good towels, iron, ironing board, etc but no fridge or microwave. The bathroom was weird, a closet with a sliding door containing a commode and no tub, just a shower with no room to put anything, just a soap dish and grab bar. The towel rack was over the commode on the opposite end of the tiny room.

Maybe after the long drive (over six hours) I just wanted to sink into a bubble bath but I figured it would ease some of my tension to take a hot shower. Thank goodness I wanted to wash my long hair because there was little movement in the direction of the shower head. With no ledge or shelf I used the soap dish for my soap, shower gel, and conditioner, then I balanced my little trial size shampoo on the grab bar.

The sink area had a very small vanity, so that when I added my toiletry case to the coffee maker that was there, it took up all the available space. I had to jockey to make room for the ice bucket.

I wandered off to the vending area, passing the pool which was empty but looked inviting and noted an adults only hour. There was a hot tub too and some seating.

So now to get some work done. I unpacked my laptop to the desk which holds the big TV but not much else besides the hotel phone and a lamp with a big base. The case has to go up on the rack over the closet because there is no place else to fit it in even standing on end. I was glad I didn't need a notebook or anything to work from.

There was room for my book but nothing else on the nightstand because of another lamp with a big base. I hate to sound like a broken record but I felt like I was juggling all evening long looking for somewhere to put things down. Even the remote had to be put on top of my book because there was no space.

The bed was fairly comfortable with pillows of different materials so you had a range of softness to choose from the four on each bed, The blackout curtain worked well with no interference from the heating/cooling system. There was no noise unless someone was in the hallway.

If I have to go back I may plan to be out of the room more or pack differently. With only a one night stay I didn't use drawers. Maybe that would help.

Breakfast seemed to be varied: eggs. sausage, waffles, whole fruit, and an assortment of pastries and juices. That is a bit better than some hotels offer.

Check out was easy. The meeting room was about average with a plentiful supply of ice water replenished by the staff at intervals. We had access to the heat controls for the room.There were both a men's room and ladies room right there in the meeting room.

All in all, it was OK but the whole experience just was not great for me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sioux City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I thought the size of the room was nice and the property overall looked good. However, I probably wouldn't stay again do due the price, noise and breakfast. Price was high for this hotel chain. Noise everywhere. In the halls, rooms above you and you could even hear talking in the next room with your TV on. The noise had died by the time I went to sleep, but if I had needed to go to bed early you wouldn't be able to due to the noise. Breakfast was a joke. Why you wouldn't base staffing on how many rooms are booked. The breakfast area is too small for this size hotel. We went down at 8:15am they were out of waffle batter, scrambled eggs, sausage, hard boiled eggs. All the tables were either occupied or dirty. We tried to clean a table for ourselves however they had sticky syrup and needed to be cleaned with a hot water. There were at least 5-6 tables unoccupied but filthy. We had an appointment at 9:30 so we couldn't sit around and wait for them to get there act together so we had to go buy breakfast. This was added expense to the already overpriced stay. I do understand it can get very busy and there were a couple of hockey teams that stayed. However, you need to staff accordingly. The other con is the fitness center is off site, not convenient.

Overall I would probably not stay again unless it was a very good deal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
twbtcaptain, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
We are very sorry that parts of your stay were not up to your standards. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. Please know that we strive to provide excellent standards and we appreciate the business you have given us. If you have any further concerns or would like to try to stay again with us in the future please call us directly and ask to speak to a member of our Executive Team. Any of us will be happy to assist you.
Camdenton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Sleep Inn are my preferred locations to travel- and this is at the top of the heap as a new property. Excellent room, amenities, staff for a large hotel- but highest price Sleep Inn of any I have stayed at-- by more than $25.

Unique Sleep Inn shower door still had mold on it- like all the other Sleep Inns- but much less than most.

Room Tip: Any should be fine- big hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Everything with this hotel was was fine until the morning I had to check out. I noticed my debit card has been billed three times for the room & three times for a pet charge. My $86 room had now taken $422 from my debit card in the middle of my 860 mile travel. The girl at the front desk did try to help & even stayed past her shift end to help me but even though she credited it back it still would not go back on my card immediately that I was using to travel with so I was pretty much stranded there. My debit card company was nice enough to take my word for it & released my funds back to my card. This all took approx. 3 he's before by long drive. The hotel did decide to comp my room for all the trouble, which was great except that two days later more charges appeared on my card and from my vacation I had to spend another couple hours on the phone with both the hotel & debit card company again. When I called the hotel the person on duty was not authorized to help me but promised the manager would be on duty at 3pm and would call me by 3:30. By 6pm that evening I still had not heard from anyone do I called back there only to be informed by yet another employee that there was never a manager on duty that day so they couldn't understand why their coworker told me one would call me.
The entire fiasco was a stressful inconvenience over the holidays and it'd be safe to say we will not be returning to that hotel. We had stayed there in the past several times and only had one other bad experience but overall were pleased with the hotel. I can't take the chance of my accounts getting do messed up again though so we will be staying elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed December 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is a award winning hotel and i can see why.

I stayed here for one night and checked in late. The night auditor was friendly and accommodating to give a late check out.

Although i missed the breakfast. I was able to get fresh coffee in the lobby. They had several flavors of cream which i enjoyed. The color and design of the building is beautiful. It feels nice to be around.

Stayed November 2013
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

What this hotel lacks in ice and hot water it makes for in customer service.everyone at the front desk is outstanding!!! The breakfast lady/attendant is a sweetheart. My room was clean, my towels fresh and my bed comfortable. When all you need is sleep and a good breakfast with smiling faces to greet you at check in and in the mornings this is the place. Thank you, individually to David and the front desk manager, for going above and beyond to make sure my forgotten items were sent to me without hassle to your sister property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times over thst couple of years. I had been very satisfied until my last visit. At the last visit it was OK, but no better than OK. There seems to have been a loss of attention to detail. Things need paint and cleaning. It makes me wonder if there has been a change of ownership or management. The carpet in the room was filthy. It turned my wife's slippers black on the bottoms. Really made me hate to walk on the carpet with bare feet or when only wearing socks on my feet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
twbtcaptain, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We are very sorry your room was not up to standards. We really appreciate your comments. We would like to hear more about your stay from you so we can work to correct these issues in your room. Please know that we strive to provide excellent standards and we appreciate your past business you have given us. I do hope that you will continue to stay with us and give us a chance to exceed your expectations. If you have any further concerns please call us directly and ask to speak to a member of our Executive Team. Any of us will be happy to assist you.

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!