“Nice hotel but billing issues were a nightmare” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Urbandale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice hotel but billing issues were a nightmare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Everything with this hotel was was fine until the morning I had to check out. I noticed my debit card has been billed three times for the room & three times for a pet charge. My $86 room had now taken $422 from my debit card in the middle of my 860 mile travel. The girl at the front desk did try to help & even stayed past her shift end to help me but even though she credited it back it still would not go back on my card immediately that I was using to travel with so I was pretty much stranded there. My debit card company was nice enough to take my word for it & released my funds back to my card. This all took approx. 3 he's before by long drive. The hotel did decide to comp my room for all the trouble, which was great except that two days later more charges appeared on my card and from my vacation I had to spend another couple hours on the phone with both the hotel & debit card company again. When I called the hotel the person on duty was not authorized to help me but promised the manager would be on duty at 3pm and would call me by 3:30. By 6pm that evening I still had not heard from anyone do I called back there only to be informed by yet another employee that there was never a manager on duty that day so they couldn't understand why their coworker told me one would call me.
The entire fiasco was a stressful inconvenience over the holidays and it'd be safe to say we will not be returning to that hotel. We had stayed there in the past several times and only had one other bad experience but overall were pleased with the hotel. I can't take the chance of my accounts getting do messed up again though so we will be staying elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Leduc, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is a award winning hotel and i can see why.

I stayed here for one night and checked in late. The night auditor was friendly and accommodating to give a late check out.

Although i missed the breakfast. I was able to get fresh coffee in the lobby. They had several flavors of cream which i enjoyed. The color and design of the building is beautiful. It feels nice to be around.

Stayed November 2013
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

What this hotel lacks in ice and hot water it makes for in customer service.everyone at the front desk is outstanding!!! The breakfast lady/attendant is a sweetheart. My room was clean, my towels fresh and my bed comfortable. When all you need is sleep and a good breakfast with smiling faces to greet you at check in and in the mornings this is the place. Thank you, individually to David and the front desk manager, for going above and beyond to make sure my forgotten items were sent to me without hassle to your sister property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times over thst couple of years. I had been very satisfied until my last visit. At the last visit it was OK, but no better than OK. There seems to have been a loss of attention to detail. Things need paint and cleaning. It makes me wonder if there has been a change of ownership or management. The carpet in the room was filthy. It turned my wife's slippers black on the bottoms. Really made me hate to walk on the carpet with bare feet or when only wearing socks on my feet.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
twbtcaptain, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We are very sorry your room was not up to standards. We really appreciate your comments. We would like to hear more about your stay from you so we can work to correct these issues in your room. Please know that we strive to provide excellent standards and we appreciate your past business you have given us. I do hope that you will continue to stay with us and give us a chance to exceed your expectations. If you have any further concerns please call us directly and ask to speak to a member of our Executive Team. Any of us will be happy to assist you.
Terre Haute, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Within walking distance to Machine Shed restaurant and Living History Farms. Ask for a referral coupon for Machine Shed appetizer. Less expensive option than than adjacent Comfort Suites. Pleasant and helpful staff from desk clerks, breakfast worker to housekeeping. Central location - close to restaurants and shopping. Short drive to casino, Bass Pro and Jordan Creek, Merle Hay and Valley West malls. Reasonable rates if you are a priority club member and watch for sales. Staff makes an effort to honor requests for room location and optional refrigerators. Location popular with sports teams, pet owners and families so can be noisy. Heard running in the halls and pool crowded. Charming lobby lounge has computer and sofa seating. Updated decor in cheerful modern colors interspersed with county antiques. Breakfast seating fills up quickly. Waffle maker, sausage, cereal, toaster options. No eggs, bacon or oatmeal pot. Rooms updated a few years ago but bed was not very firm and shower only. Our room was at the end of hall bordering the stairs and an exit so could have higher foot traffic but convenient to unloading luggage. Room was non-smoking but had a strong previous smoking or over deodorized smell that required running the AC to mitigate the smell.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the halls are located near stairs and exit doors. Convenient for unloading vehic...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Huron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Best stop this week. Stayed two nights in Room 308. Everything was good including the price.

Sort of strange location and a little hard to find behind the Comfort Suites, but worth the effort.

The only area lacking was in the breakfast selection. There's some room for improvement there.

I'd stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

When we arrived at the Sleep Inn, we discovered some of their power was out due to a storm that went through. I overheard them on the phone with the power company and while I'm still not sure how some power was out and some was not, it was evident there was nothing the staff could do. While this was not an ideal situation, I was so impressed with the staff's ability to continue to provide outstanding customer service. They asked us (and the people in line before us and after us) if we would like them to call and book us a room at another property due to the inconvenience. They were even willing to lose a sale to keep me happy! I said no, and I'm glad I did.

The staff made sure to bring a lamp into my room to plug into the one working outlet and hand-delivered a wake up call by knocking on our door early this morning.

It was an unfortunate situation, but the staff rose above it. It is clear they understand the meaning of customer service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!