“Good, but could be improved.” 3 of 5 stars

King's Pointe Waterpark Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1520 Lakeshore Dr, Storm Lake, IA 50588   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Storm Lake
Junction City, Kansas
“Good, but could be improved.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed at King's pointe for 4 nights in a double queen lake view room (#308). The room itself was large, clean, and the view was very nice, but the walls were thin. I could hear the kids in the next room playing clue at midnight. I literally heard the dice hit the board, that's how thin the walls are. Upon arrival we had coffee, but no cream/sugar/stir sticks. After the first night housekeeping didn't even replace the coffee I had used, but the second night we got coffee and cream/sugar, and toiltetries replenished. Coffee was available for free in the lobby. And there was a coffee shop across the street. The indoor and outdoor waterparks were both very nice, though a little crowded as you don't have to be a guest to use them. One of the days they closed down part of the outdoor waterpark for a swim meet, which was really annoying. On that day we waited over an hour for towels, that never came. I was told it would be 5-10 minutes, yeah right. The pizza at the snack shack was terrible, the worst I've ever had. The lines tended to be a little long at the snack bar too. It was nice to be able to leave my wallet/money in the room and charge food and beverage to the room, in the restaurant and at the waterpark. I found it a little confusing at first to find the entrance to the waterpark, as this wasn't explained to me upon check in. I was also not given the wireless password upon check in and had to call down and ask for it. The swim area of the lake is easily accessible and wasn't very crowded at all. It would have been nice to have been able to rent chairs/umbrellas out there. They did have canoes and waterbikes to rent. We wanted to rent a pontoon boat, but both of their boats were out of service. The restaurant on site wasn't that great. I found the menu to be limited, not even a kids menu for breakfast. Some of the items were pretty overpriced too. We ordered room service one night. I asked for ranch dressing with my cheese sticks, which I didn't get, and my husband ordered a hot fudge sundae that was a joke. It was a drizzle or hot fudge, maybe like a teaspoon total. It was the most pathetic sundae I've ever seen. After that experience we were afraid to order room service again. The gift shop was a little small and I didn't notice prices on anything. It would have been nice to have a snack bar type grab and go place in the lobby. Maybe with sandwhiches, ice cream, etc. The biggest thing that put me off about this place was when I discovered that I was charged a $7 per day resort fee. Now, I am no stranger to resort fees. I don't like them, but it is what it is. What I DO have a problem with is that I was NEVER informed of this fee. I checked my reservation confirmation email and it makes no mention of it. I was also not informed of it when checking in. It just left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Sales Coordinator at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear TLWTraveler,

Thank you for choosing to stay at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort. We are glad you enjoyed the room you stayed in on your trip to the resort. However, we are sorry to hear that you had some issues during your stay.

We are disappointed to hear that your coffee was not replenished in your room and for the long wait for your towels. We will take your concern to our housekeeping manager to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

We're happy to hear you enjoyed the waterparks; however, in regards to the swim meet, we do understand that it is an inconvenience to our guests when we close the lap line pool side of the waterpark for hometown swim meets, thankfully this doesn’t happen often, and we do apologize for this inconvenience.

In regards to the items you weren’t satisfied with in the waterpark snack shack and restaurant, we will bring them to the attention of our Waterpark Director and Food & Beverage Director so they can make changes accordingly. Some people love our pizza, and others do not.

Your suggestions about renting chairs and umbrellas is a great idea, and we will discuss this further as a part of our action plan in the future. Unfortunately, our pontoon boat is being repaired as it was broken from a previous user. It was a pretty bad mechanical glitch that occurred, so it took a little bit of extra time to get the issue fixed. We are sorry this put a glitch in your vacation though.

We also apologize that you were not aware of our $7 resort fee. We have had a resort fee on every waterpark room since we have opened. We appreciate your feedback and will look into adding this information in more locations on our website so all guests are fully aware of the fee.

Thank you for providing us with your feedback! We believe that hearing the feedback is the only way we know of your issues and it’s the only way we can take actions to improve. Should you need anything else, please feel free to contact us directly. I do believe you did not experience the best that we have to offer at King’s Pointe Resort, so we do hope you will give us a second chance and come to see us in the future. Again we are sorry for the inconveniences we have caused during your vacation.

Whitney Dickinson
Sales Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family decided get away from Omaha for a long weekend and chose King's Pointe. We LOVED it. The staff, from front desk to cleaning staff to waterpark staff, were very nice and friendly. The first aid station was well stocked and quick to help when my husband hurt himself.
The rooms were very comfy and clean...I slept well, which usually doesn't happen at a hotel!
We have 3 boys, ages 10, 7, and 4, and they all had a BLAST on both the indoor and outdoor water features, playing pretty much all day.
We will be going to King's Pointe again next summer for sure!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Jessica R,

We are so glad to hear that you loved King's Pointe Waterpark Resort! Our staff strives for customer service so we are happy to hear that our front desk, cleaning, and waterpark staff met your expectations.

We are also happy to hear that the rooms were comfortable and clean for you to enjoy peaceful nights of sleep, especially during your family getaway.

King's Pointe Waterpark is a great place to spend the day out in the sun so we are glad your boys enjoyed the waterpark! We are looking forward to your next getaway at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort next summer!

We really appreciate your feedback and thank you for choosing King's Pointe Waterpark Resort. Feel free to 'like' us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter (@kings_pointe), or sign up for our newsletter on our website for the latest specials and upcoming events.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pleasant check-in staff, the room was very clean, tastefully decorated and we found the beds to be comfortable. We're sure the old box TV was there for nostalgia in a otherwise fully updated room. The kids enjoyed the water park and there were plenty of attentive guards on duty around the pools and slides. The buffet breakfast was good and fairly priced at about $9 for an adult. We were in town for a wedding but this resort would be a good weekend get-away too.

Room Tip: Lake side view in an additional charge.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear 7Xtraveller,

Thank you for staying at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort. We are glad you were pleased with the cleanliness and décor of the room. We're also glad you had a comfortable night of stay.

We're happy to hear your kids enjoyed the waterpark and they were kept safe by our wonderful staff! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the buffet breakfast at the Regatta Grille as well.

We really appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you again at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort! Feel free to 'like' us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter (@kings_pointe), or sign up for our newsletter on our website for the latest specials and upcoming events.

Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here overnight to break up a drive to South Dakota. The rooms were nice(we had a family suite) with 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa. We took the pull out sofa, and the matresses were so thin, I could feel every coil and spring all night. It got to the point where I tried laying on the sofa cushions. The others who slept in the normal beds said they were quite comfy. I did mention to staff about the sleeper sofa and they said they were trying to get mattresses replaced. The waterpark (both indoor and outdoor) were quite fun, and the staff was very friendly. The hotel offered wonderful views of Storm Lake which sets right beside the hotel. It was nice that four waterpark passes were included in the price of the room.

Room Tip: Try to get a lakeside view, it may cost a bit more, but much better than overlooking the parking lot...
Dear Shelleystarr2753,

Thank you for choosing to stay at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort. We are glad you enjoyed the family suite. However, we are sorry to hear that you had an uncomfortable night of sleep on the sleeper sofa. We will take your concern to our housekeeping staff to get the mattresses replaced.

We're happy to hear you enjoyed the waterparks and are glad that our staff was friendly and accomodating. We hope to see you at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort again in the near future!

Thank you for providing us with your feedback! Feel free to 'like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter (@kings_pointe), or sign up for our newsletter on our website for the latest specials and upcoming events.

reinbeck
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent the week end at this resort in Storm Lake while attending a wedding. Because it was supposed to be a nice place we opted to stay there rather then a budget motel. The bed spread had disgusting stain on it and the floor by my bed had about three sticky spots. Every time I got out of bed I would step on them!! When i brought it to the receptionist attention she said "I'll write it down and let them know". That was it, When I pay extra $ to stay in a motel I expect something better then I'll let them know. i won't be going back there again.

Room Tip: Check your room before you commit to it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear a l,

Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. We're sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the condition of your room.

We apologize for the stain on the bed spread and the sticky spots on the floor. We will definitely pass this concern on to our housekeeping staff to get this problem resolved.

We hope that you will give us another chance at King's Pointe Resort to make your stay more enjoyable. Again, we apologize for your unpleasant stay.

Travelers are raving about these Storm Lake hotels

Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

A couple of weeks ago we loaded up the van and drove 2.5 hours up to Storm Lake to enjoy our first vacation as a family of four at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort.

This was our second time staying at the resort and again it did not disappoint.

We pulled into Storm Lake around 11:00 am and quickly and easily checked into our room. We stayed in a double queen suite on the third floor. Our room had a balcony that overlooked the lake. It was truly beautiful! The queen suite was perfect for our family as we have a one-year-old who goes to sleep around 7:00 pm, so we could put him down in the bedroom and hang out on the balcony or watch tv in the living room without worrying about waking him up.

After we got settled in our room we headed down the Regatta Grill where we enjoyed a nice lunch overlooking the lake. After lunch it was time for the main event...swimming!!! Despite being a chilly day (I think the high was 60 degrees that day) we decided to brave the outdoor waterpark. To my surprise the water was super warm! It actually felt better in the water than out. We swam outside for about thirty minutes but soon the sky filled with clouds and our littlest swimmer started shivering so we decided to head inside to the indoor waterpark.

I can't say enough great things about the indoor waterpark! It has 3 big slides, a great area for little kids and it's very own lazy river. We had the best time!

We took a break in the middle of the afternoon to drive around Storm Lake and explore. We stopped at the bakery downtown and grabbed some afternoon snacks to fuel up for round 2 of swimming.

We spent the rest of the afternoon bouncing back and forth between the indoor and outdoor waterpark. After we had our fill of swimming we enjoyed a pizza picnic on the lawn of the resort overlooking the lake. We spent the rest of the evening exploring the resort and walking around the lake.

After a good nights sleep by all, we started our morning off with the breakfast buffet at the Regatta Grill. We thought we better squeeze in one last swim before we had to leave so after breakfast we headed down to the indoor waterpark (it was another cool and rainy day) where we had to literally drag our kids kicking and screaming when it was time to go home!

We had the best time at King's Pointe! They helped make our first vacation as a family of four a memorable success. We hope to make this trip an annual event and are already excited to go back next year!

Dear Katie C,

Thank you for choosing King's Pointe Waterpark Resort as your first family vacation of four! We are glad you were satisfied with your room and enjoyed your time at the waterpark.

We are happy to hear that you were pleased with King's Pointe Resort and that you had a great time on your family vacation. We look forward to your next vacation with us!

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it. Feel free to 'like' us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter (@kings_pointe), or sign up for our newsletter on our website for our latest specials and upcoming events.

West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My only problem was that the sound travels quite a bit between rooms, the first night we heard footsteps from upstairs a lot and the second morning we were awoken by a crying baby. The resort was beautiful and was a great getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
KingsPointe, Sales & Events Coordinator at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Jimmy L,

Thank you for your recent stay at King’s Pointe Waterpark Resort. We are glad you had a great getaway and you enjoyed our beautiful resort.

We are sorry that you had a problem with the sound traveling throughout the rooms. We strive to make sure our guest have a quiet and comfortable stay but unfortunately, some groups are louder than others.

We apologize again for the noise, but we are glad you still enjoyed your time and we hope to see you again in the future.

Feel free to ‘like’ us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter (@kings_pointe), or sign up for our newsletter on our website for the latest specials and upcoming events. Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

Sales & Events Coordinator

Been to King's Pointe Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!