“Great place to bring kids!” 5 of 5 stars

King's Pointe Waterpark Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1520 Lakeshore Dr, Storm Lake, IA 50588   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Storm Lake
Marcus, Iowa
“Great place to bring kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at King's Pointe at the beginning of December because I decided to do a little getaway treat for my neices and nephew. We got a Family Suite for some extra space and there wasn't much of a price difference. It had a living room and kitchen area which was great. The kids LOVED the waterpark. It was definitely something they want to do again, since you can't find many things like that to do this time of year. I don't live too far so I plan to take them at least one more time this winter for a day trip to the waterpark. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone with kids, especially in the winter!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Storm Lake, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My company booked their Christmas party at King's Pointe resort in the Awaysis Room. Where to begin??...on a good note, the table settings were simple, but cute for the holidays and were decorated as said they would be. This was the only good thing about the night. Now to the less than great parts of the evening...There was a cash bar set up for our group outside of the Awaysis Room, but the drinks were cheaper if gotten from the bar in the Regatta Grille. Also, our cash bar was being manned by a trainee. The food was a complete disaster on all aspects. The menu was tossed salad (no dark greens, just pale light green/white lettuce) with two options for salad dressings, short cut green beans with chopped red bell pepper (tasted like rubber and were tough -- no seasonings on them), garlic baby red mashed potatoes (the consistency was so thick that they weren't coming off of the serving spoons), gravy (must've used constarch instead of a roux -- very cafeteria), sliced turkey (this was the ONLY thing I enjoyed), sliced roast beef (incredibly overcooked and was curling -- one guest referred to it as a "meat saucer"), white dinner roll (no option for wheat rolls and the top of mine was flaking due to being dry). I am passionate about dessert and this was very disappointing on all levels...it was apple crisp. It was plated ahead of time on a table outside of the Awaysis Room so it was not warm when served. King's Pointe staff said, "the chef can make a mean apple crisp" and was raving about it beforehand. I was looking forward to this as apple crisp is one of my favorite desserts, but this was just apple pie filling from a can and very little oats on tops. The oats were quick oats too! No crunchy topping at all and by the time this was baked, the apples were mush. Might as well have served us apple sauce. King's Pointe staff said they were going to have the dessert at the end of the buffet line so it would stay warm, but this was not the case. The price for the meal was $15 per person and this was not worth it. Very overpriced for quality of food given. One guest sitting next to me stated that if this was the chef's "best food", he didn't want to know what his "worst food" was like. I was embarrased to bring my guest to this venue for the meal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Heidi F. -

Thank you for your time and for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your company Christmas Party. I was very concerned when I read your review as we had not heard any complaints from your party, so I called the planners of the party to see if there was anything we didn't hear about the night of the party as our sales and events staff are always on hand the night of to ensure everything goes as planned.

The planners and management staff again said that the party went as planned and everything was great; however, I understand that attendees can feel differently than the planners themselves which makes it hard to receive all feedback. Opinions can and do differ, and we care about everyone's experience - planner and attendee alike. We strive for everyone's experience to be a great one here at King's Pointe Resort whether it's in the hotel, waterpark, Awaysis Ballroom or the Regatta Grille.

With this said, I am very sorry to hear that the Christmas party was not up to your standards. I have passed your food review along to our Food & Beverage Manager and Supervisor, who are always looking to improve where there is a need.

Again, we appreciate your time and for sharing your review with us. Should you have any other concerns you would like to share, please feel free to contact me! We hope you and yours had a wonderful Holiday Season!

(712) 213.5701

Travelers are raving about these Storm Lake hotels

Ames, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I had such high expectations for my stay at this hotel/resort. I was traveling through Storm Lake on business and heard many high comments/reviews from this location. Check in went smoothly but it felt too rehearsed and not personalized to the guest staying at their hotel. I had to prompt every comment question such as what time the on-site restaurant started serving. When I got to my room, I was pleasantly surprised but disappointed at the same time. If you are accustomed to having a lot of light in your room, bring along an extra lamp. I had to request an extra lamp at the front desk as there are only 2 lights in the room. It was way too dark in order to work on my computer or read over my paperwork.

Room as a whole was very comfortable – I had a king room on the 2nd floor that was very spacious and comfortable. Bed was very comfortable and easily to snuggle in and fall asleep.
Only issue I had was the onsite restaurant; I ate dinner here twice. Both evenings I had an issue with my meal and/or the service that was given. I wasn’t trying to be a “complainer” and I normally don’t mention anything but both evenings required a comment to management. The first meal, I ordered an appetizer and a basic sandwich to go along with it. Two bites into the appetizer I couldn’t eat it – it tasted horrible. When the server brought out the remainder of my meal, I mentioned it to the server and she graciously removed it from my bill. The 2nd evening’s meal, I ordered a larger more “expensive” serf & turf meal of steak & shrimp. The menu made it sound delicious and I was looking forward to it. What I received was something I could have made at home – the shrimp tasted like rubber and were WAY overcooked, the steak & baked potato had too much seasoning, and one was overdone and the other underdone. I mentioned something to my server and she sort of blew me off which ticked me a bit as I had to ASK her for an additional drink after she walked past my table 2x. I was not a happy camper and left without leaving a tip; on my way out I asked the host for the managers contact info and within a few minutes the actual manager came out. I explained my concerns to her; she was very nice and offered a gift cards towards a future purchase.

During check-out, I noticed the same “rehearsed” spiel from the front-desk. Also I was not thanked for staying or if I enjoyed my stay. Not sure if I’ll stay here again – in my opinion, the customer service could use some improvement.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
KingsPointe, Food & Beverage Director & Guest Services at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear JanetCat73 -

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a review on our property. We are very sorry to hear of the issues in our food and beverage department and with our front desk staff during your most recent stay.

In every area of our facility, we strive for the highest level customer service so when we read your review to learn the staff at our front desk were not “personable” and that it felt rehearsed, we were disappointed as well. We continuously hold customer service training for our staff as well as verbiage training. Our goal is to make the verbiage we use personal to every guest while being pleasant and warm mannered. However, we understand this didn't happen for you, and we are taking steps to improve our staffs' customer service skills so every guest experience is more than satisfactory.

We are also sorry to hear of your experience in our on-site restaurant. Food quality and customer service is something that we pride ourselves on, so it disappoints us that we did not meet your expectations. Corrective action is currently in place to ensure an experience like yours does not happen again.

I would again like to apologize for your most recent visit to Kings Pointe and the Regatta Grille. We hope you give us another opportunity in to future to serve you at the expectations you deserve. Thank you for your valued comments!

Wendy Oleson, Guest Services Manger
Lance Bellinghausen, Food & Beverage Director
King’s Pointe Resort and Waterpark
Carter Lake, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a wonderful time! My middle boy wanted to do something special for his 12th Birthday, we were not disappointed. Even though it was October and the outside park was closed, we all had an amazing time at the indoor water park the slides are awesome! We also had a great time hiking outside and going to the park and exploring around the lake. What a great place for 5 boys to burn some energy. This was our first time here and we will defiantly be back. The views are amazing and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Its a great get away with a lot options for fun. It was nice to see the boys put down their i-pod touch and use their imagination!
We loved everything about this place!

Room Tip: The family Queen Suite was great! It had a kitchenette and we got a roll away which fit in between t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Jojosunshine_13,

Thank you for taking the time to review our facility! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!

Birthday parties are always a fun time at King's Pointe Resort! We enjoy hosting the parties and ensuring each birthday boy or girl has a memorable time! We are glad that your boys enjoyed the slides and the facility.

I love to hear that you explored the hike and bike trail and the lake while you were in town too. The hike and bike trail is a great addition to our facility. Beings that it's over 5 miles with several fun things along the path (play ground, Chautauqua Park, the living history tree museum, and much more), there's plenty for everyone to do along the way!

The views at our facility are hard to beat on the lakeside, and we're glad to hear our staff was accommodating! Some good fun without the technology is always welcome at King's Pointe Resort!

We appreciate having you stay with us and will look forward to your future stays as well! In the meantime, 'like' us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter(@kings_pointe), or join our email list on our website to stay up to date on our latest specials and events!

Sioux City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our family sayed in one of the Sunrise Cottages last weekend (Oct 27) for an overnight with kids and grandkids. When I called to make the reservation and figured out what we would need for rooms the person I talked with suggested the cottage which I had seen on the website. The cottage was roomy, had a great kitchen (although an oven would be nice) and was located very close to the main resort. The only complaint I have about it is the parking. Each of the cottages had multiple cars vying for very small parking areas so some wound up parking across the street. Would love to return to stay there in the summer as there are nice patios and firepits. The cottage was very clean and the beds and even the hide-a-bed were comfortable. Te tubes needed more air but we were able to find "good" ones each time we wanted one. We loved that even our 2 year old was able to ride the green slide essentially alone (he's really tall and fit the height requirements!) The Halloween activities were perfect for our kids' ages but we didn't go into either of the haunted houses. All staff were courteous, and seemed to be genuinely enjoying the ativities and the kids in costumes and the activities they were working with. Advertised a bonfire and s'mores but when we asked about those we were told they had run out of the smores ingredients. We had the pool practically to ourselves on Sunday - probably about 50 people total there around lunchtime when we were. The pool water was surprisingly warm for this time of the year - unlike many other places we have stayed with pools/waterparks.
All staff and employees were knowlegable and courteous to our family the entire time we were there. Loved the ability to get wrist bands and swim before we could tehnically check into the room and stay in the water on Sunday after we had cheked out. Other resorts with waterparks that we have been to haven't allowed this and it's a definite perk.
This is the 2nd time we have stayed at the resort (have been there for a day trip other times) and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Sunrise cottages are nice for larger groups but the loft are is open and noise echos there. No tub...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Sales Coordinator at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear grandmak60,

Thank you for your visit to King's Pointe Resort and thank you for taking the time to leave a thorough review! Our future guests love to hear from past guests!

We are happy to hear you enjoyed the unique accommodations at the Sunrise Pointe Cottages. These have been a welcome addition to our resort! We are also glad that you enjoyed Spooky Pointe activities & our extended waterpark hours.

We hope that you will stay with us again so we can deliver another great experience for you and your family! In the meantime, stay up to date on all the latest specials and activities by clicking "Like" on our Facebook page and following us on Twitter (@kings_pointe).

Again, we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay & we look forward to serving as your hosts in the future!

Sabrina Martinez
Sales Coordinator
Riverside, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I do not know what is happeining to this establishment overall? I travel for busienss average of 200 days per year and do not ask for much other than clean, efficent, consistant. When our company first started using King's Pointe Resort we were extremely impressed with the value, quick check in, higher class rooms, cleanliness, and conistancy for the value.

My experience the last two visits are far from what i described. It took over 2 hours to finally reach a person when trying to make my reservations on business day during afternoon. When I called the Resort, the phone would keep taking me to answering machine for me to leave my name and number for them to call me back.

When I checked in, there now seems to be a lack of confidence and personal service any longer. Everyone appears to be over tasked and just struggling to get you moved along. Then when I go to my room, there was no soap provided for me to use.

Finally, the restaurant appears to be under complete foriegn management. When I say foriegn, I mean the are not familir with managing a restaurant at all. The Hostess waited for you to approach her to be seated. She told me there were openings at the bar to sit,,, there were, but not clean. I sat down at bar thinking someone would clear the dirty dishes and prevous persons signed check and it took me initiating the request after 7-10 minutes to have this area cleaned. Then when I asked for a Miller Genuine Draft Beer, the bartender did not know what that was. Then when I opted for a draft beer to speed this process along, that item was out, and I was left to wait with no alternatives while they changed the keg. Ok,,, then the gentleman next to me said this was normal and was repeat of night before, and said these are nice people, however be patient and if I flag them down everytime I need something that they would get it,,,, if they remembered. Then he went on to say his food come out and no one knew what to do with it and he tried to get their attention, but the turned around and the wait staff began to eat his meal within his site, cuasing him to reorder. After not being offered a menu, and and hour gone by, I finally just orded an apetizer and hamburger for dinner. 30 minutes later I recieved the hamburger and had to remind the bartender about my appetizer. She stated it was put down late and would be out in couple minutes with an appology,,, then walked to order station behind the bar and obviously put the order in. After finishing my meal and last drink, and waiting for another 5-10 minutes, I just pulled out my credit card and asked for my check. Bartender asked if I would like to wait and take my appetizer with me? I declinde and politly stated appetizers are meant to be prior to meal, not for take out as midnight snack.

As stated prior, I am not demanding person, just looking for the basics and basic services when I travel. Rooms are great, location good for rural Iowa, and provides a feel of large hotel in small town. After this stay, I will however be foreced to recomend to my company that we discontinue our corporate agreement with King's Pointe Resort, as it wouild be embarassment to bring our upper management here with this lack of service. We will go alternative directions, regardless of distance to find busienss traveler oriented offerings.

Room Tip: Choose lake side rooms in the spring, summer and fall as the view and feel is great. I always like t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Brian M.,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time from your busy schedule to write a review on our property. We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment in the resort during your most recent stay. We value your business and realize that you are a very good client of ours, so we want to be sure we do everything we can to make this situation right.

To address your issues at the front desk, it is very disappointing to hear your experience was less than satisfactory and we want to assure you that we have addressed the issues with the staff. They are all trained extensively and should be very confident in the operation. There should never be any task that is more important than our guests. In addition, we will also make sure that our guests rooms are stocked with all the proper amenities as no product should ever be missing from any room.

The Regatta Grille would also like to apologize for your recent frustrations, yet thank you at the same time for your feedback. We take guest experiences very seriously and want every person through our doors to be treated like a guest in our own homes. As the Director in our Food and Beverage department, I would like to personally address your issues.

There are no excuses for the experiences you have received recently in the Regatta Grille. We are taking immediate action in response to your feedback. First, we are conducting a “hands-on” training exercise within the next week with all staff members. Our focus will be customer service - “Every guest, every time.” That is our goal and you have my word that we are hard at work and moving forward.

Brian, we realize that improving our training in the future does not make up for your most recent visit to the Regatta Grille, but we do hope that you and your company will give us another chance to showcase the quality customer service that has come to be expected at Kings Pointe Resort and the Regatta Grille.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences and we wish you safe travels.

Lance Bellinghausen Wendy Oleson
Food & Beverage Director Guest Services Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel is way overpriced for the location but the bed was comfortable, wifi worked most of the time, large room, the staff was friendly. Lovely lake! The waterpark looks like so much fun for families. Or, if you want a quiet couple's getaway, it's nice for that too. I'm definitely going back. Very impressive.

Room Tip: The lower room was very nice - walk out onto patio right on the beautiful lake.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Travelingwurd,

Thank you for your recent review and stay our facility! We are happy to hear of several of your positive comments!

We do pride that our beds are comfortable, the rooms are spacious, and many do enjoy the views of our lake! I'm glad to hear the staff was friendly as this is one of our top priorities at King's Pointe Resort! The waterpark is a blast for families with kids and adults of all ages. At the same time, the resort is accommodating to couple's getaways - we actually just started a romantic getaway package for a refreshing weekend away!

We are sorry to hear that you believe our facility is overpriced. We always like to hear feedback like this as it is something we can review for the upcoming year! We have several packages going on right now that are affordable for families, girlfriend getaways, and for couples as mentioned above! Feel free to check out our website to learn more!

Again, I appreciate your time, and we look forward to seeing in the future! To hear about all the updates, promotions and new things going on at our facility in the future, please join us on Facebook and Twitter (@kings_pointe).

Director of Sales

Been to King's Pointe Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!