“A great Birthday getaway~” 5 of 5 stars

King's Pointe Waterpark Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1520 Lakeshore Dr, Storm Lake, IA 50588   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Storm Lake
Carter Lake, Iowa, United States
“A great Birthday getaway~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a wonderful time! My middle boy wanted to do something special for his 12th Birthday, we were not disappointed. Even though it was October and the outside park was closed, we all had an amazing time at the indoor water park the slides are awesome! We also had a great time hiking outside and going to the park and exploring around the lake. What a great place for 5 boys to burn some energy. This was our first time here and we will defiantly be back. The views are amazing and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Its a great get away with a lot options for fun. It was nice to see the boys put down their i-pod touch and use their imagination!
We loved everything about this place!

Room Tip: The family Queen Suite was great! It had a kitchenette and we got a roll away which fit in between t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Jojosunshine_13,

Thank you for taking the time to review our facility! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!

Birthday parties are always a fun time at King's Pointe Resort! We enjoy hosting the parties and ensuring each birthday boy or girl has a memorable time! We are glad that your boys enjoyed the slides and the facility.

I love to hear that you explored the hike and bike trail and the lake while you were in town too. The hike and bike trail is a great addition to our facility. Beings that it's over 5 miles with several fun things along the path (play ground, Chautauqua Park, the living history tree museum, and much more), there's plenty for everyone to do along the way!

The views at our facility are hard to beat on the lakeside, and we're glad to hear our staff was accommodating! Some good fun without the technology is always welcome at King's Pointe Resort!

We appreciate having you stay with us and will look forward to your future stays as well! In the meantime, 'like' us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter(@kings_pointe), or join our email list on our website to stay up to date on our latest specials and events!

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Sioux City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our family sayed in one of the Sunrise Cottages last weekend (Oct 27) for an overnight with kids and grandkids. When I called to make the reservation and figured out what we would need for rooms the person I talked with suggested the cottage which I had seen on the website. The cottage was roomy, had a great kitchen (although an oven would be nice) and was located very close to the main resort. The only complaint I have about it is the parking. Each of the cottages had multiple cars vying for very small parking areas so some wound up parking across the street. Would love to return to stay there in the summer as there are nice patios and firepits. The cottage was very clean and the beds and even the hide-a-bed were comfortable. Te tubes needed more air but we were able to find "good" ones each time we wanted one. We loved that even our 2 year old was able to ride the green slide essentially alone (he's really tall and fit the height requirements!) The Halloween activities were perfect for our kids' ages but we didn't go into either of the haunted houses. All staff were courteous, and seemed to be genuinely enjoying the ativities and the kids in costumes and the activities they were working with. Advertised a bonfire and s'mores but when we asked about those we were told they had run out of the smores ingredients. We had the pool practically to ourselves on Sunday - probably about 50 people total there around lunchtime when we were. The pool water was surprisingly warm for this time of the year - unlike many other places we have stayed with pools/waterparks.
All staff and employees were knowlegable and courteous to our family the entire time we were there. Loved the ability to get wrist bands and swim before we could tehnically check into the room and stay in the water on Sunday after we had cheked out. Other resorts with waterparks that we have been to haven't allowed this and it's a definite perk.
This is the 2nd time we have stayed at the resort (have been there for a day trip other times) and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Sunrise cottages are nice for larger groups but the loft are is open and noise echos there. No tub...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Sales Coordinator at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear grandmak60,

Thank you for your visit to King's Pointe Resort and thank you for taking the time to leave a thorough review! Our future guests love to hear from past guests!

We are happy to hear you enjoyed the unique accommodations at the Sunrise Pointe Cottages. These have been a welcome addition to our resort! We are also glad that you enjoyed Spooky Pointe activities & our extended waterpark hours.

We hope that you will stay with us again so we can deliver another great experience for you and your family! In the meantime, stay up to date on all the latest specials and activities by clicking "Like" on our Facebook page and following us on Twitter (@kings_pointe).

Again, we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay & we look forward to serving as your hosts in the future!

Sabrina Martinez
Sales Coordinator
Riverside, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I do not know what is happeining to this establishment overall? I travel for busienss average of 200 days per year and do not ask for much other than clean, efficent, consistant. When our company first started using King's Pointe Resort we were extremely impressed with the value, quick check in, higher class rooms, cleanliness, and conistancy for the value.

My experience the last two visits are far from what i described. It took over 2 hours to finally reach a person when trying to make my reservations on business day during afternoon. When I called the Resort, the phone would keep taking me to answering machine for me to leave my name and number for them to call me back.

When I checked in, there now seems to be a lack of confidence and personal service any longer. Everyone appears to be over tasked and just struggling to get you moved along. Then when I go to my room, there was no soap provided for me to use.

Finally, the restaurant appears to be under complete foriegn management. When I say foriegn, I mean the are not familir with managing a restaurant at all. The Hostess waited for you to approach her to be seated. She told me there were openings at the bar to sit,,, there were, but not clean. I sat down at bar thinking someone would clear the dirty dishes and prevous persons signed check and it took me initiating the request after 7-10 minutes to have this area cleaned. Then when I asked for a Miller Genuine Draft Beer, the bartender did not know what that was. Then when I opted for a draft beer to speed this process along, that item was out, and I was left to wait with no alternatives while they changed the keg. Ok,,, then the gentleman next to me said this was normal and was repeat of night before, and said these are nice people, however be patient and if I flag them down everytime I need something that they would get it,,,, if they remembered. Then he went on to say his food come out and no one knew what to do with it and he tried to get their attention, but the turned around and the wait staff began to eat his meal within his site, cuasing him to reorder. After not being offered a menu, and and hour gone by, I finally just orded an apetizer and hamburger for dinner. 30 minutes later I recieved the hamburger and had to remind the bartender about my appetizer. She stated it was put down late and would be out in couple minutes with an appology,,, then walked to order station behind the bar and obviously put the order in. After finishing my meal and last drink, and waiting for another 5-10 minutes, I just pulled out my credit card and asked for my check. Bartender asked if I would like to wait and take my appetizer with me? I declinde and politly stated appetizers are meant to be prior to meal, not for take out as midnight snack.

As stated prior, I am not demanding person, just looking for the basics and basic services when I travel. Rooms are great, location good for rural Iowa, and provides a feel of large hotel in small town. After this stay, I will however be foreced to recomend to my company that we discontinue our corporate agreement with King's Pointe Resort, as it wouild be embarassment to bring our upper management here with this lack of service. We will go alternative directions, regardless of distance to find busienss traveler oriented offerings.

Room Tip: Choose lake side rooms in the spring, summer and fall as the view and feel is great. I always like t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Brian M.,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time from your busy schedule to write a review on our property. We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment in the resort during your most recent stay. We value your business and realize that you are a very good client of ours, so we want to be sure we do everything we can to make this situation right.

To address your issues at the front desk, it is very disappointing to hear your experience was less than satisfactory and we want to assure you that we have addressed the issues with the staff. They are all trained extensively and should be very confident in the operation. There should never be any task that is more important than our guests. In addition, we will also make sure that our guests rooms are stocked with all the proper amenities as no product should ever be missing from any room.

The Regatta Grille would also like to apologize for your recent frustrations, yet thank you at the same time for your feedback. We take guest experiences very seriously and want every person through our doors to be treated like a guest in our own homes. As the Director in our Food and Beverage department, I would like to personally address your issues.

There are no excuses for the experiences you have received recently in the Regatta Grille. We are taking immediate action in response to your feedback. First, we are conducting a “hands-on” training exercise within the next week with all staff members. Our focus will be customer service - “Every guest, every time.” That is our goal and you have my word that we are hard at work and moving forward.

Brian, we realize that improving our training in the future does not make up for your most recent visit to the Regatta Grille, but we do hope that you and your company will give us another chance to showcase the quality customer service that has come to be expected at Kings Pointe Resort and the Regatta Grille.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences and we wish you safe travels.

Lance Bellinghausen Wendy Oleson
Food & Beverage Director Guest Services Manager

Travelers are raving about these Storm Lake hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel is way overpriced for the location but the bed was comfortable, wifi worked most of the time, large room, the staff was friendly. Lovely lake! The waterpark looks like so much fun for families. Or, if you want a quiet couple's getaway, it's nice for that too. I'm definitely going back. Very impressive.

Room Tip: The lower room was very nice - walk out onto patio right on the beautiful lake.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Travelingwurd,

Thank you for your recent review and stay our facility! We are happy to hear of several of your positive comments!

We do pride that our beds are comfortable, the rooms are spacious, and many do enjoy the views of our lake! I'm glad to hear the staff was friendly as this is one of our top priorities at King's Pointe Resort! The waterpark is a blast for families with kids and adults of all ages. At the same time, the resort is accommodating to couple's getaways - we actually just started a romantic getaway package for a refreshing weekend away!

We are sorry to hear that you believe our facility is overpriced. We always like to hear feedback like this as it is something we can review for the upcoming year! We have several packages going on right now that are affordable for families, girlfriend getaways, and for couples as mentioned above! Feel free to check out our website to learn more!

Again, I appreciate your time, and we look forward to seeing in the future! To hear about all the updates, promotions and new things going on at our facility in the future, please join us on Facebook and Twitter (@kings_pointe).

Pella, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

It was great that the kids could ride the waterslides. My son hasn't been able to ride at any other water park, he is only 46 inches tall. I liked that he was able to ride with an adult or his older brother. The tubes were all almost flat. It could have been due to it was the last week they were open outside.

The rooms were very nice. We did have a broken bathtub. There was a hole in the side so there were no baths for the little ones after swimming :(

I did wish that the pools was open past 8. We usually swim till 9 or ten at regular hotels. We went to the park instead.

The smores were a fun bonus. The kids liked them.

My in-laws room did have a bug problem in the kitchen. They let them know at the front desk so it could be taken care of before the next guests.

Room Tip: if you are travling with kids a suite with the extra bedroom is a plus.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear michelle v,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your review of our facility. I am sorry to hear you weren't completely satisfied with our facility, but I am happy to hear that your kids were able to enjoy the water slides, s’mores roasting, and extra space in the suite!

We did thoroughly inspect the two rooms you mentioned in your review. The bathtub repairs are in the works. The kitchen situation was isolated to that suite and has already been resolved. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences these issues may have caused, and as always we welcome your feedback.

As a management team, we have been discussing ways to improve guest satisfaction. Some ideas we are tossing around include modifying pool hours for hotel guests and improving communications with our maintenance department. Though none of these ideas are fully in action yet, we do hope to have several ideas implemented for next summer.

Again, I appreciate your time, and we do hope you give us another chance in the future! To hear about all the updates and new things going on at our facility in the future, please join us on Facebook and Twitter (@kings_pointe). We will be excited to announce all the great things coming down the pike within the next year!

Falmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed here for Labor Day weekend with my extended family and we all enjoyed the resort for many reasons. From the firepits outside and the bags of s'mores, to the large, comfortable, clean rooms, and the gigantic watermark that is fun for kids and adults, this is truly a great hotel and in a class of its own in Storm Lake. We would stay here again, and it seems to be a great place for families with kids!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Director of Sales at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear WorldCitizen_77,

Thank you for your great review! We are delighted to hear you had such a nice time at our facility! It was our pleasure hosting you and your extended family!

During Labor Day weekend we did place fire pits on the south lawn so guests could enjoy complimentary s'more roasting! We are so glad you enjoyed it and hearing your feedback reinforces our decision to provide more activities like this regularly in the future!

We are also glad you enjoyed our guest rooms and waterpark too! We are happy to hear that both kids and adults in your party enjoyed the park! This is a quality we pride at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort!

Again, we appreciate your comments and your most recent stay with us. We invite you back to visit us again in the near future! Until then, ‘like’ us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@kings_pointe) to stay up to date on the latest specials and news.

Warmest Regards,
Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I took my kids for a weekend to this resort, and I have to say it is a very nice resort! Unfortunately for us the weather didn't cooperate that weekend, and we were unable to use the outdoor waterpark, however we made the best of it. The kids did use the indoor water park a bit, but because they are older (12 and 14) they tired of it after an hour or two, but enjoyed the time they spent in it. It was very crowded as well due to the outdoor waterpark being closed. The staff at this hotel is awesome! They go out of their way to accomodate the guests and is very reflective of their commitment to the satisfaction of their guests. We decided to have a scavenger hunt because the weather outside was chilly. One of the items on the scavenger hunt list was "most creative picture", and the staff was more than willing to assist in these funny photos! We did eat in the restuarant 3 different times while there, and the service was attentive and friendly and the food was good as well. Loved the poblano pepper soup! They even had a one man band Saturday evening that I enjoyed. We all enjoyed the lunch and dinner meal more than the breakfast, but the breakfast was still good. The rooms were decent sized and seemed well kept and clean to me. I travel frequently and am used to seeing wear and tear in hotel rooms, however I really didn't notice these problems in our room. Loved the view of the lake from our balcony. Even housekeeping was quick...I called for an extra bath towel Sunday morning and was prepared to wait 10-15 minutes as in most hotels, and to my delight it showed up within about 3 minutes! I'm looking forward to staying again, only this time we'll be sure to wait until it's much warmer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
KingsPointe, Sales Coordinator at King's Pointe Waterpark Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Oceanblues,

Thank you for visiting us and for leaving this wonderful feedback! It was our pleasure hosting you and your family! We are happy to hear your family was able to have fun despite the weather! We are also happy to hear you enjoyed the service in the Regatta Grille and the view from your balcony.

We appreciate your comments and your most recent stay with us. It will be our delight to have you visit us again! Until then, ‘like’ us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@kings_pointe) to stay up to date on the latest specials and news.

Sabrina Martinez
Sales Coordinator

Been to King's Pointe Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!