“No issues” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Spencer

You added Super 8 Spencer to your Saves list
Super 8 Spencer
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   209 11th Street SW, Hwy 18 & 71 at South T, Spencer, IA 51301-5835   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Spencer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I travel through NW Iowa extensively and frequently make hotel decisions based on which hotel group has the best points incentive. I prefer Choicehotels because there aren't any nicer chains in most of these cities. This time I picked Wyndam reward hotels. That was a mistake this time around. I usually stay at a different hotel in Spencer, but wanted a "Stay 2 times get a gasoline gift card" offer from Wyndham.

This is one of those hotels operated by a middle eastern individual. Hotels like this are usually less than desireable.

This hotel is old and needs updated. The drywall and other features are cracked, have patched holes and look terrible, especially in the bathroom. The mirror in the room is covered with stickers reminding me that I will be fined $100 if I have a dog in my room, if I smoke in the room, checkout is 11:00am and no cooking in the room except with microwave.

He charged my credit card and closed out my charges when I checked in. That was odd.

I stay for business in the area, when I went to my room and couldn't connect to the internet I just about left. I called the office and was told he "was almost full and lots of people on internet, I should try again in 30 minutes." Tis is unacceptable in this day and age. I called 2 hours later, I voiced my concerns about needing to connect to my company's vpn for business. Low and behold, within a minute of complaining I was connected. Not sure the deal here but it was the deal breaker for me, never again will I stay here. I stay away from other nicer hotels because their internet works well but it won't connect to my company's vpn...some security issue with their connection. So this dump is definitely on my Never again list.

I get up to get breakfast....it doesn't start until 7:00am, that's too late, I'll be gone by then.

The TV works but is old tube type model.

Room Tip: Try the north end of the building, the south end you can hear trucks rumbling past. Room 203 has a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sac City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Teh g al @ the front desk was very helpful suggesting a place to eat supper for our group of 8. Rooms were very nice considering the good Super 8 price. We only wanted a place to sleep since we were going to the Okoboji area. Not a far drive to Okoboji & the Great Lakes.

Room Tip: Get a downstairs room for the elderly.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sioux City, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was so disappointed with this stay here. Our room had a no smoking sign on the door but we could smell cigarette smoke so strong all night that it woke me from my sleep. Our room smelled like urine, there was black mold growing in the air conditioner vents, the bed was so hard. The bathroom door knob was not clean. Would not recommend staying here. The only reason we stayed was that we were traveling with others and they stayed here as well, my husband had already paid for the room and we didn't realize how bad the conditions were until later in the night. Thank goodness we only stayed one night. The positives were the towels were clean and fresh, the shower was clean and the linens on the bed were clean. I would never come back again. :( I am also shocked that hotels allow smoking in them, restaurants forbid smoking why would hotels allow this? I worried about my kids breathing in the smoke all night, I was tempted at one point to go sleep in my car it was so bad. :(( If I could give no stars I would. I left my comment about the conditions at the front desk on check-out and as my husband went back inside to get something we forgot he overheard the manager tell the cleaning ladies about it and to rip it up. So sad, we will not be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This hotel was pretty rough, the rooms say non-smoking, but everything in the place smells like an ashtray. The building seemed like it was coming apart, walls didn't connect to the floor in the bathroom. The location is nice for what I needed, to be close to the highway.

I think most of the other people staying knew the quality of the rooms, because they spent their entire evening out in their work trucks, rather than in the rooms. Also, their "high speed internet" is slower than dial up. I wouldn't plan on getting any work done over it. Just loading emails took 30 minutes, and some re-starts of the service. After 8pm, you couldn't even establish a connection to the wireless, it was just too overloaded.

The beds are blah, old dated comforters, with threadbare sheets.

Next time I will try the AmericInn a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Waterloo, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel when we took our girls to the Big Time Rush Concert at the Clay County fair. We made reservations 3 months in advance. They were the only hotel that would book a room for us. The others were "saving" rooms for vendors. Nothing fancy but a clean, quiet and comfortable room to lay our heads down. The manager made our stay as comfortable as possible by providing us with extra pillows & blankets. Breakfast was decent with cereal, bagels & pastries. The only thing I didn't like was the lingering smoke smell in the hallways (there was a smoking room right across the hall from us.) I would definitely stay at the Spencer Super 8 again.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Super 8 Spencer? Share your experiences!