“Old, worn out, depressing, go somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Sioux City
Saskatoon, Canada
“Old, worn out, depressing, go somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After a very long drive with a 2 hour weather/accident stoppage on I80, my colleague and I were forced to stay at this hotel. It's old, badly laid out, and poorly maintained.
Had to listen to somebody working on getting an old junker of a car started in the back parking lot right outside my window..... took about 1/2 an hour of revving up and down on an unmuffled motor before they finally left.
Breakfast buffet was dismal. Burnt bacon, over dried eggs, cheap quality and slow service even to get a coffee.... my colleague and I had coupons as Priority club members, but the coffee cost extra. Pretty lame.
Room was tiny, bathroom didn't have an exhaust fan, windows were dirty.
Need I say more? Find another hotel or keep driving.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux City, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear DonN099,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the poor breakfast selection, poor cleanliness and the small room. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Rooms are very comfortable, although most of them are rather small. Service is very good, both in the hotel and restaurant. It is conveniently located near the freeway, with restaurants and shopping nearby.

Breakfast buffet is pretty good. I got free breakfast as a priority club member, however they still charge for tax & drinks, so you will still get a bill for something like 63 cents. The complimentary meal is nice, but nickel & diming the tax seems petty.

Internet speed is about 5 meg, good enough to stream HD video.

Room Tip: GPS may tell you to do an elaborate U-turn getting to the hotel from the freeway, but you can just g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here due to the close proximity to the Tyson Event Center. The hotel was busy but otherwise fine. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The ice was frozen. I guess it met all my expectations

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Good morning Mr. Reingold Al Reingold
(Director, Brand Management
Holiday Inn Family of Brands),

I did in fact stay at the Sioux City, IA downtown Holiday Inn October 10th – 12th, 2012, along with my guest consultant. That trip was my second business visit to Sioux City and my second stay at this hotel...
Thursday afternoon, October 11th at around 4:15 p.m., my business consultant and I were sitting at a table in the empty dining room debriefing (from our asset mapping meeting with a cross section of Sioux City leadership), over a couple of bags of chips, a bottle of water, and a sprite--before we went to our next meeting at 5:30 p.m. This hotel doesn’t really have comfortable sitting areas for guests to sit and chat; a man walked up and confronted the two of us—I’m not sure who he was as he never introduced himself. The following exchange took place:
--The unidentified Man said: “You Are Illegal”. This was said in a rather loud, abrupt, and confrontational voice. My first reaction was visceral in that I thought he was profiling the two of us as either undocumented Latino people, or, he had profile us as two African American males up to something;
--I said: “you’re kidding right, we’re guests at this hotel”;
--He said: “No I’m Not Kidding, Would McDonalds Let You Bring Food In Their Restaurant? Still in a rather loud and confrontational voice;
--I said: “I never thought about it or tried”;
--The Man asks: “Who Are You, Are You Guests”;
--I said: “we are guests here, we identified ourselves as guests a few moments ago;
--The Man said: “Well You Need To Get Out Of Here With That Food”;
--I said: “I don’t like the way we’re being treated as guests of this hotel”;
--The Man: didn’t say anything else, he simply turned and walked away.

Humiliated was how I felt. I was humiliated in front of the consultant that I hired to accompany me on my business visit to Sioux City, and humiliated that others milling around the dining room/lobby area had heard how we were dealt with. I have not felt humiliated like this since I left Mississippi years ago e.g. talked down too, related to in a condescending and verbally aggressive manner. It was very difficult to transition to our second meeting that evening having been treated like that. And it was very uncomfortable to return to that hotel later that evening--feeling unwelcomed and not sure if that Man might return and confront us again or even kick us out.
I travel all over the US twice per month on average and I have many choices of hotels at which to stay; the Sioux City downtown Holiday Inn was recommended by a local community business leader. As I continue to work with Sioux City’s leadership over the next 2-3 years, it will be very difficult to recommend future consultants and colleagues to book a stay at this facility....

Humiliated

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The nicest parts of this hotel are the flat screen TVs, new carpet in the hallways and the signage outside. Aside from that everything else is old. Especially the heating and air-conditioning units within the room. A king room feels incredibly cramped. Great location and great service though.

• Stayed October 2012
Goldsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed here again (actually a 4th time overall) and thought I owed the place a "re-review" due to the hopitality the staff has shown on later visits. I came in late on a flight and was picked up at the airport by the nicest shuttle driver ever. She called and had the restaurant stay open so I could get a meal. The crew in the restaurant brought me a great meal even after hours and the day was great. There could not be a better overall staff. This group is totally different from an earlier visit and I applaud the teamwork shown!!!! Congrats!

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is not the greatest on the 5th floor so get a lower floor if you need to do work.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel isn't in a scary area of town but there is the constant presence of homeless around this property. The rooms are nicely appointed with flat screens and the usual brand beds and bedding. The restaurant is average but there is a Chili's just across the parking lot if you are in the need of a appetizer and drinks on arrival. I stay here every time I am in town because it is a great value next to the other hotels in its class.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Sioux City? Share your experiences!