“Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 17 hotels in Sioux City
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here due to the close proximity to the Tyson Event Center. The hotel was busy but otherwise fine. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The ice was frozen. I guess it met all my expectations

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Good morning Mr. Reingold Al Reingold
(Director, Brand Management
Holiday Inn Family of Brands),

I did in fact stay at the Sioux City, IA downtown Holiday Inn October 10th – 12th, 2012, along with my guest consultant. That trip was my second business visit to Sioux City and my second stay at this hotel...
Thursday afternoon, October 11th at around 4:15 p.m., my business consultant and I were sitting at a table in the empty dining room debriefing (from our asset mapping meeting with a cross section of Sioux City leadership), over a couple of bags of chips, a bottle of water, and a sprite--before we went to our next meeting at 5:30 p.m. This hotel doesn’t really have comfortable sitting areas for guests to sit and chat; a man walked up and confronted the two of us—I’m not sure who he was as he never introduced himself. The following exchange took place:
--The unidentified Man said: “You Are Illegal”. This was said in a rather loud, abrupt, and confrontational voice. My first reaction was visceral in that I thought he was profiling the two of us as either undocumented Latino people, or, he had profile us as two African American males up to something;
--I said: “you’re kidding right, we’re guests at this hotel”;
--He said: “No I’m Not Kidding, Would McDonalds Let You Bring Food In Their Restaurant? Still in a rather loud and confrontational voice;
--I said: “I never thought about it or tried”;
--The Man asks: “Who Are You, Are You Guests”;
--I said: “we are guests here, we identified ourselves as guests a few moments ago;
--The Man said: “Well You Need To Get Out Of Here With That Food”;
--I said: “I don’t like the way we’re being treated as guests of this hotel”;
--The Man: didn’t say anything else, he simply turned and walked away.

Humiliated was how I felt. I was humiliated in front of the consultant that I hired to accompany me on my business visit to Sioux City, and humiliated that others milling around the dining room/lobby area had heard how we were dealt with. I have not felt humiliated like this since I left Mississippi years ago e.g. talked down too, related to in a condescending and verbally aggressive manner. It was very difficult to transition to our second meeting that evening having been treated like that. And it was very uncomfortable to return to that hotel later that evening--feeling unwelcomed and not sure if that Man might return and confront us again or even kick us out.
I travel all over the US twice per month on average and I have many choices of hotels at which to stay; the Sioux City downtown Holiday Inn was recommended by a local community business leader. As I continue to work with Sioux City’s leadership over the next 2-3 years, it will be very difficult to recommend future consultants and colleagues to book a stay at this facility....

Humiliated

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The nicest parts of this hotel are the flat screen TVs, new carpet in the hallways and the signage outside. Aside from that everything else is old. Especially the heating and air-conditioning units within the room. A king room feels incredibly cramped. Great location and great service though.

• Stayed October 2012
Goldsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed here again (actually a 4th time overall) and thought I owed the place a "re-review" due to the hopitality the staff has shown on later visits. I came in late on a flight and was picked up at the airport by the nicest shuttle driver ever. She called and had the restaurant stay open so I could get a meal. The crew in the restaurant brought me a great meal even after hours and the day was great. There could not be a better overall staff. This group is totally different from an earlier visit and I applaud the teamwork shown!!!! Congrats!

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is not the greatest on the 5th floor so get a lower floor if you need to do work.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel isn't in a scary area of town but there is the constant presence of homeless around this property. The rooms are nicely appointed with flat screens and the usual brand beds and bedding. The restaurant is average but there is a Chili's just across the parking lot if you are in the need of a appetizer and drinks on arrival. I stay here every time I am in town because it is a great value next to the other hotels in its class.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed for 1 night as a stop over so arrived around 7pm. Rooms were basic as expected; 2 dble beds, small bathroom, TV. Room was clean and bed was comfy. Eateries around hotel i.e. Burger King and also a Walgreens. Ate breakfast in the hotel but just had cereal so cannot comment. Looked organised and staff were friendly. All in all a good stopover.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Traverse City, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Ok, the good things: the bed was comfortable, the room was quiet and it's easy to find. We got a free drink for being a Holiday Inn club member. So what's not to like?

Well, first off the TV did not work--that, fortunately, was not a big deal to us since we didn't arrive 'til late at night and were leaving early the next morning. The hair dryer did not work. The free drink was met with a disinterested bartender who did little to make us feel welcome or engage us in conversation. Despite the fact that she had little, if anything to do. The room came with a cramped shower stall, not a full tub.

So, there is little to recommend this place other than it was quick and easy to check in and get to bed. Those looking for nicer amenities (and that wouldn't take much) are advised to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Be aware that the elevators are located off a zig-zag hallway...so if you're dragging in large p...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux City, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear MongoSchwartz,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I am pleased you liked your room accommodation. I am sorry that the television and hair dyer did not work. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Sioux City? Share your experiences!