“Humiliating Experience” 2 of 5 stars

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Good morning Mr. Reingold Al Reingold
(Director, Brand Management
Holiday Inn Family of Brands),

I did in fact stay at the Sioux City, IA downtown Holiday Inn October 10th – 12th, 2012, along with my guest consultant. That trip was my second business visit to Sioux City and my second stay at this hotel...
Thursday afternoon, October 11th at around 4:15 p.m., my business consultant and I were sitting at a table in the empty dining room debriefing (from our asset mapping meeting with a cross section of Sioux City leadership), over a couple of bags of chips, a bottle of water, and a sprite--before we went to our next meeting at 5:30 p.m. This hotel doesn’t really have comfortable sitting areas for guests to sit and chat; a man walked up and confronted the two of us—I’m not sure who he was as he never introduced himself. The following exchange took place:
--The unidentified Man said: “You Are Illegal”. This was said in a rather loud, abrupt, and confrontational voice. My first reaction was visceral in that I thought he was profiling the two of us as either undocumented Latino people, or, he had profile us as two African American males up to something;
--I said: “you’re kidding right, we’re guests at this hotel”;
--He said: “No I’m Not Kidding, Would McDonalds Let You Bring Food In Their Restaurant? Still in a rather loud and confrontational voice;
--I said: “I never thought about it or tried”;
--The Man asks: “Who Are You, Are You Guests”;
--I said: “we are guests here, we identified ourselves as guests a few moments ago;
--The Man said: “Well You Need To Get Out Of Here With That Food”;
--I said: “I don’t like the way we’re being treated as guests of this hotel”;
--The Man: didn’t say anything else, he simply turned and walked away.

Humiliated was how I felt. I was humiliated in front of the consultant that I hired to accompany me on my business visit to Sioux City, and humiliated that others milling around the dining room/lobby area had heard how we were dealt with. I have not felt humiliated like this since I left Mississippi years ago e.g. talked down too, related to in a condescending and verbally aggressive manner. It was very difficult to transition to our second meeting that evening having been treated like that. And it was very uncomfortable to return to that hotel later that evening--feeling unwelcomed and not sure if that Man might return and confront us again or even kick us out.
I travel all over the US twice per month on average and I have many choices of hotels at which to stay; the Sioux City downtown Holiday Inn was recommended by a local community business leader. As I continue to work with Sioux City’s leadership over the next 2-3 years, it will be very difficult to recommend future consultants and colleagues to book a stay at this facility....

Humiliated

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The nicest parts of this hotel are the flat screen TVs, new carpet in the hallways and the signage outside. Aside from that everything else is old. Especially the heating and air-conditioning units within the room. A king room feels incredibly cramped. Great location and great service though.

• Stayed October 2012
Goldsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed here again (actually a 4th time overall) and thought I owed the place a "re-review" due to the hopitality the staff has shown on later visits. I came in late on a flight and was picked up at the airport by the nicest shuttle driver ever. She called and had the restaurant stay open so I could get a meal. The crew in the restaurant brought me a great meal even after hours and the day was great. There could not be a better overall staff. This group is totally different from an earlier visit and I applaud the teamwork shown!!!! Congrats!

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is not the greatest on the 5th floor so get a lower floor if you need to do work.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel isn't in a scary area of town but there is the constant presence of homeless around this property. The rooms are nicely appointed with flat screens and the usual brand beds and bedding. The restaurant is average but there is a Chili's just across the parking lot if you are in the need of a appetizer and drinks on arrival. I stay here every time I am in town because it is a great value next to the other hotels in its class.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed for 1 night as a stop over so arrived around 7pm. Rooms were basic as expected; 2 dble beds, small bathroom, TV. Room was clean and bed was comfy. Eateries around hotel i.e. Burger King and also a Walgreens. Ate breakfast in the hotel but just had cereal so cannot comment. Looked organised and staff were friendly. All in all a good stopover.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Traverse City, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Ok, the good things: the bed was comfortable, the room was quiet and it's easy to find. We got a free drink for being a Holiday Inn club member. So what's not to like?

Well, first off the TV did not work--that, fortunately, was not a big deal to us since we didn't arrive 'til late at night and were leaving early the next morning. The hair dryer did not work. The free drink was met with a disinterested bartender who did little to make us feel welcome or engage us in conversation. Despite the fact that she had little, if anything to do. The room came with a cramped shower stall, not a full tub.

So, there is little to recommend this place other than it was quick and easy to check in and get to bed. Those looking for nicer amenities (and that wouldn't take much) are advised to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Be aware that the elevators are located off a zig-zag hallway...so if you're dragging in large p...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux City, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear MongoSchwartz,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I am pleased you liked your room accommodation. I am sorry that the television and hair dyer did not work. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This is an older Holiday Inn property which has been kept in reasonably good shape with up-dates and other modes of modernization. It's sited between an IHOP and a Chili's, just a block or two from the new Tyson Event Center, and enjoys convenient access to I-29.

What gave away its age was the size of my first floor room. "Cozy" and "boutique" are real estate and hostelry euphemisms for "small" and such was the case here. There was a very comfortable king-sized bed which took most of square footage. There was a floor-to-ceiling window and an air conditioning unit which took up an entire wall. The bathroom had a 2-man walk-in shower (no tub) and the sink had minimal counter space around it. Opposite the bed, the entire wall was taken up with a large desk, a large flat-screen TV atop a chest of drawers, a niche for an ottoman, and a stand-alone cabinet of less than 6' in height which was the closet! That's right - no built-in-closet in this room! In it were shoved a folding suitcase stand (where you'd actually put it is anyone's guess) and an iron and ironing board plus the rod with hangers. There was a comfortable armchair next to the bed which was flanked by two end tables with lamps situated (or squashed) in front of the air conditioning unit. Getting to its controls was a tricky proposition. Everything worked (well, the vending machine on my corridor didn't seem to want to accept dollar bills inserted in any side or direction). I put on my air conditioner upon arrival (outdoor temperature was in the low to mid-90s), turned it off less than two hours later and the room remained comfortable through the next morning upon my departure. There was also a convenient electrical outlet for my C-PAP machine.

What surprised me the most, however, was the price. I booked it on Hotwire and was frankly surprised when the price popped up. I paid as much for this Holiday Inn in Sioux City as I did for Westins in San Diego and near LAX last summer! Needless to say, the rooms at both those properties were much larger and more stylish. I had to scratch my head over this one. The front desk clerk was friendly and offered me Priority Club "perks" (10% off on a drink). But I would offer two words: caveat emptor!

Room Tip: One has to traverse quite a few halls and turn several corners to reach elevators and rooms from the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux City, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear SineNomine69,

Thank you for being a Priority Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I am pleased you liked the condition of our hotel as well as its location. I'm very sorry that you were not fully satisfied with your room accommodations. Your comments are very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sioux City
Hilton Garden Inn Sioux City Riverfront
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Sioux City
Holiday Inn Express and Suites: Sioux City-Southern Hills
Marina Inn Hotel & Conference Center
Marina Inn Hotel & Conference Ce...
#1 of 5 in South Sioux City
4.0 of 5 stars 122 reviews
Candlewood Suites Sioux City - Southern Hills
Super 8 Sioux City South
Super 8 Sioux City South
#7 of 18 in Sioux City
4.0 of 5 stars 174 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Sioux City? Share your experiences!