“Amazing B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blarcreen House

and 1 more site!
You added Blarcreen House to your Saves list
Blarcreen House
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Ardchattan | Oban, Argyll, Ardchattan PA37 1RG, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Ardchattan B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Amazing B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just wanted to write about the fantastic stay at Blarcreen House. We stayed for 3 nights while visiting for a family wedding nearby. The hospitality was first class, as were the facilities, breakfasts and views ! We would recommend this B&B again and again. The setting is spectacular and we were lucky to have superb weather as well. What a bonus ! We will definitely be going back. Thank you to them both.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed at Blarcreen for 3 nights while attending a friends wedding nearby. I am so grateful to my friend for finding this wee place for me, it was a little piece of heaven! Beautiful house surrounding by great views. Sian and Gary could not have done anything more, they were the BEST! It was only meant to be B&B but when I was hanging around waiting for the wedding late afternoon Sian made sure I didn't go hungry! Oh and the wine was delicious too! PERFECT!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My boyfriend took me here on a surprise romantic trip away. I completely forgot to break my Tripadvisor virginity after our stay a few months ago, so want to begin by apologising to the lovely couple who run Blarcreen! Despite the delay in my review, the memories of the weekend will be with me forever. Picking Blarcreen House as our place of rest for the weekend completely exceeded my expectations of the surprise weekend. As I hadn't a clue where we going, the winding road we took to the guesthouse (which was, perhaps, the long way round) was dark and secluded. Just before I began to panic that we might be lost, the warm lights of Blarcreen shone through the dark!

Gobsmacked, we were welcomed by the proprietors, and shown the drawing room and breakfast room, before being led to our suite. We were bought up two glasses and an ice bucket for the bottle we had brought with us, and very kindly wished a good evening. The room, like the rest of the house, mixed antique furniture with tasteful contemporary accoutrements. After taking an obligatory power-shower, sampling all the luxury toiletries, we slipped in to the dressing gowns provided, and put music on the iPod dock.

My first night in a four poster, I was awoken by the light 'baaaas' of the sheep in the fields outside. By daylight, the place managed to be twice as beautiful. Our room looked over Loch Etive, and the sun was shining for us. The interiors across the house were put together with such finesse, yet still the rooms downstairs retained the charming quirkiness of a place that is proudly lived in. Once downstairs, we had two equally good breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Homemade jams, freshly baked bread, and all the options for a fry-up under the sun were offered to us. Being foodies, my boyfriend and I tried everything! To this day, I am adamant I ate the most delicious breakfasts I've ever had.

With Oban being a scenic drive away, we spent a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning strolling around it. Before lunch, surprise number two was the ferry to Mull! We ate in Tobermory, had a walk along the coastline, then returned to Oban for a fresh seafood supper. The second night we spent at Blarcreen was warm and peaceful.

I would be delighted to visit the house again, and would recommend it to anyone seeking a country retreat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location close to Oban to take ferry to Lochboisdale.
We only stayed one night as part of our honeymoon in July 2013, but it was an impressionable one thanks to Sian and Gary! It is luxury accommodation at its best. Very clean and inviting. There was tea and tasty shortbread upon our arrival and fresh milk left in the fridge IN the room. What a nice touch especially when travelling with a cooler you can put a few bits in the fridge to help keep cold. We stayed in Room 1 with a four poster bed and immaculate bathroom with nice Scottish toiletries/robes. Bed was comfortable with luxurious linen and two large bedroom windows to look out at the lovely landscape all around Blarcreen House. The two resident dogs and cat are adorable. It helped to be able to give them rubs as we were missing our own cats left back at home.
We enjoyed a lovely meal in the dining room and an after dinner walk down the very quiet road alongside Loch Etive before settling down for the evening. We had to be up bright and early to catch the first ferry out of Oban to Lochboisdale. This wasn’t a problem with Sian and Gary. We were still able to have our cooked breakfast to help make a proper start for the 5 hour ferry journey. We opted for a packed lunch (a bit overpriced) which we had on the ferry. We didn’t know what to expect and were quite surprised that the ferry offered good food at reasonable prices. If you’re running late, don’t worry, you can get something on the Ferry. We had fish and chips on our journey back from South Uist to Oban – yummy. A good choice as it was 7pm by the time we docked and still had an hour and half drive down to Ardgartan to stay at another B&B. We were thankful that we ate beforehand.
If you choose to stay at Blarcreen House, you will not be disappointed. Happy travelling.

Room Tip: Room 1 was nice and "roomy". Did not hear any other guests during our stay. Very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very great night in this place. Don't be afraid of the road you have to make to go there....first the road is very interesting and second it worth it!
Great view on the loch and on the cows and sheeps around the house. Very nice breakfast. I definitely recommand it!

Très agréable nuit passée dans cette demeure. N'ayez pas peur du chemin qu'il y a à faire pour y aller...la route est très belle et ça vaut le coup!
Belle vue sur le loch et sur les vaches et les moutons autour de la maison. Très beau peti-déjeuner. Je recommande vivement cet endroit!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The welcome we got was amazing. The room was clean and had everything we needed and breakfast was good. The location was peaceful, surrounded by fields with lovely views towards the lake. Definately would go back tomorrow if we could, wont get better hospitality than here.

• Stayed July 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here overnight recently as part of a trip to Oban and the Isle of Mull. The B&B is in a really amazing location that's easy to find if you take the advice on the website, about 30 mins from Oban. The farmhouse is wonderful and the hosts are very welcoming. Everything in the house is immaculate and well-maintained. The rooms are really stunning and full of traditional character and touches. The little extras such as Green & Blacks/shortbread and the toiletries are really lovely. The surrounding views are stunning and the paths nearby good for a light bit of exploring around the Loch (tip, bring wellies!), but if the weather is bad they have a snug with books, dvds etc too. Breakfast was wonderful and we left feeling ready for our long drive ahead. I would recommend this place to friends and family, and for the price I would say it's a real bargain!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blarcreen House? Share your experiences!