“Weekend Wedding” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pleasant Hill
East Dundee, Illinois
“Weekend Wedding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed here because the bride & groom had booked rooms for their out of town guests here. We were not disappointed, front desk staff was very friendly from check in to check out. We had a few minor issues that we reported and were handled immediately and if not fixed, alternatives were offered....all of what I would expect from good customer service. Breakfast was really good; pool & hot tub were clean. The only thing that kept me from rating this excellent was that the rooms could use some updating with some fresh paint and some carpet replacement.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

On arrival, signs were up saying the elevator was out of order. I asked the desk clerk when it would be repaired - she said tomorrow morning because they are waiting for a part. Hmmmmm. It would have been nice to know this ahead of time - like maybe a phone call to everyone who had a reservation? If not that, schedule an extra employee to help with luggage? Or how about this - a reduced rate on the room? Nope, nothing - just an offhand "sorry". Had I not already driven through Des Moines, or had there been any other options nearby, I would have left and looked elsewhere.

Anyway, I had requested a quiet (and allergy-free) room which generally means the top floor. Traveling solo, I have too much stuff and not enough energy after driving all day to make multiple trips up to the third floor, but there was no offer of help of any kind. The only option I was given was a first floor room. Although every room between the lobby and my room was designated no smoking, the hallway REEKED of fresh cigarette smoke, and was leaking in around the door to the point I stuffed a towel under the door trying to keep it out. My eyes and throat were still burning, so I opened the window and ran the a/c. Unfortunately, the a/c fan cannot be set to "always on", and there is a LOT of highway noise with the window open. When the bathroom light was turned on, the fan automatically came on, which sucked more smoke into the room each time. I didn't bother mentioning the heavy smoke to the desk clerk, because while I was outside loading the luggage cart, she was standing just outside the front door - smoking.

At about 9:00 pm, people checked in to the room directly above me and the sound of them walking around the room transmitted quite well. They resumed what sounded like stomping before 6:00 am, which woke me up, of course.

In the room itself, the furnishings and bed were in decent shape, but there were stains on the carpet and upholstered furniture, cracks in the bathroom tiles, and some mildew around the floor. Otherwise, it looked clean. Cube pillows on the bed instead of full size.

Wifi worked fine. I didn't try any of the other amenities, including breakfast, because I wanted to minimize my exposure to the smoke that was still reeking in the hallway in the morning and get out of there as soon as possible.

There are no restaurants, shopping, or other motels nearby.There is a convenience store adjacent that has a good laser car wash for getting all those smashed heartland bugs off the car.

I stopped by the desk on the way out to get a receipt. The clerk was on the phone booking some kind of party at the motel and let me wait a while. She finally apologized to the person on the phone, and without putting him on hold, looked at me as if annoyed, so I asked for a receipt. She said they couldn't get it under the door that morning, and I told her it was because I had stuffed a towel under the door to keep the smoke out. She said that no, they never are able to get it under that door. I tried to say more, but she cut me off to get back to the phone but did manage a "sorry" when I said the smell was disgusting.

I would not recommend this motel, nor would I ever stay there again. It might have been a totally different experience had they handled the elevator situation with some level of concern or assistance. I can only assume that response is indicative of their idea of customer service, and the experience with two different front desk clerks certainly leads me to believe they don't care.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
IA112, Owner at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at Sleep Inn & Suites.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding these issues on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with the ENTIRE staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future. I would sure like to speak to you in greater detail on this..so if you would email me your information I would like to call you. My email is: gm.ia112@choicehotels.com

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Pleasant Hill.
Mesa, Az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Walked in and the smile was there at the front desk. Check In was fast and pleasant .we had to get to volleyball game and needed to hurry. In the room was a bottle of water and mints and lovely hand written note to welcome us. The room was neat and cool with the temp at 90 outside. Breakfast room was very clean, the help checked on it often and coffee never ran out. It cost more but we know you get what you pay for. This Sleep Inn will be on our list to stay when we travel this way again to watch our granddaughter play volleyball in college.

Room Tip: It is worth the drive to stay out of the Des Moines busy traffic.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Mary,

Whitehall, Mt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is an excellent property. It was the first "ground floor" room of our trip - close to the "end" door...it was one of their KING singles. All the expected goodies, everything worked...bed was very comfortable. Only two things caused this to not rate excellent overall:
THERE WERE a couple of bugs in the room...this is farm country and this can be expected...they were NOT bed bugs...just small gray hardshells..on the floor. figured they came in the AC unit from outside...wanted to tell the front desk, but no one was there when we left at about 8:10 AM. Coffee was great and HOT...in the breakfast room.
THE second thing was FOOD sources...there are not a lot "near by"...we drove maybe 3.5 miles down the road to find a burger king... The Golden arches are closer, but we can't hack their plastic "call it food" items...
Still...we would stay here again...served the purpose intended...and, the front desk did check with us after about 2 hr from checking in...to insure everything was OK...nice touch.

Room Tip: Away from the main road would be better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Oskaloosa, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed here again for business this past weekend. The staff at this hotel is very friendly. The rooms are fairly priced and the breakfast is wonderful. I love that they have a wide selection to choose from. Waffles, biscuits and gravy, sausage or bacon, cold and hot cereal, yogurts, pastries and hard boiled eggs. It really is a nice breakfast bar. The west side of the hotel is parallel to a 4-lane highway and the off-ramp to Pleasant Hill. The 3rd floor itself was quiet, but it seemed like I heard the trucks on the highway all night.

Room Tip: For a quieter stay, ask for a room on the 3rd floor on the southeast side of the building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Deb,

iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have stayed here at least 3 times and I have enjoyed it each time. It is close to the fairgrounds which is the reason I was staying there. An annual car show is held at the fairground in July and I always try to book my stay with this hotel. The rooms are very clean and the staff is very helpful. The only complaint I have about the hotel is they have several smoking rooms which seem to be the last rooms taken. My suggestion would be to reduce the amount of smoking rooms. The lobby and breakfast area is very nice. I love this hotel and I have already booked my NON smoking room for next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
yvonnepi,

Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Room was ok, day and evening staff were fine, midnight guy was a slob, looked like the wore the same clothes for days and did not speak when met in lobby area. Pool was closed, hot tub was good. Not sure we would stay here again. Not a bad location if you are doing something on the southeast side of Des Moines.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IA112, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2013

I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention so that I may address them with staff.

515-299-9922

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!