“Relaxing, romantic "getaway"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Perry
Des Moines, Iowa
“Relaxing, romantic "getaway"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at Hotel Pattee as a mini-vacation for a night, and it was wonderful! The staff was friendly and gave us lots of tips on places to go in Perry. Our room, the Italian Room, had a lot of character, and was super comfortable! We ate at the restaurant in the hotel and the meal was DELICIOUS! My fiancee had the veal meatballs and I had the Irish salmon. There was a woman singing and playing music in the lobby which was a really enjoyable way to finish the wine we'd ordered at dinner. Afterward, we went and bowled three games in the basement in the old-school bowling alley. We had an absolute blast! I wish we would've had time to get a massage at the spa, but we can save that for next time! Hotel Pattee is definitely a treat!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Italian room which had a lot of character, super comfy beds, and allowed us to actu...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Rogers, MN, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I grew up just 12 miles away from the Hotel, before it was refurbished, but have lived away for decades, now in Minneapolis. I still have family in the area, who always offer me lodging, but now and then I will treat myself to a room at the Pattee and I am never disappointed. I also have gone there for large group parties and had a blast. The new owner/manager gives it a much more personal touch than the previous owners.

LaDonna M.

Room Tip: This hotel is very unique as no room is the same and you can look on line for room that is most appe...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Washington, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband & I wanted to get away during the week, so didn't want to travel very far. After hearing an ad for Hotel Pattee on our local radio station, I looked it up online & thought it looked very interesting. We found it to be very unique with a different theme in every room. Loved the design & style!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Perry is a little out of the way if you're in Des Moines, but if you're looking for excellent food, service, and an atmosphere that's second to none, make the drive. My family has Thanksgiving dinner here every year and my grandmother and I often have lunch here when I visit from out of state. Great every time I go.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Waterloo, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Well, I guess I will have to go back. The Hotel Pattee is without a doubt the best small town hotel in Iowa. The guest rooms, lobby, bar, restaurant, library, bowling alley are all very well done. Whoever designed the rooms and the public spaces certainly had a flair for decorating and a real commitment to making each room the best it could be. I was part of a larger group and thus had the chance to see several of the rooms. We had a ball going into each others rooms and checking out the details that we found. In my Italian room there was a "kneeler" that may have been part of a confessional in a Catholic church. Too many items to mention but everything was tastefully done. I must mention the bed ( mattress and coverings ) made for an excellent nights sleep. The bathrooms are surprising large and in excellent condition.
I could go on and on but you will just have to check this place out yourself. Give front desk man Nick a call and he will be as helpful to you as he was to our group.
As far as the restaurant goes we had breakfast there and I must recommend the "Pain Perdue" ( french toast ) as that was very tasty. Also, don't forget to check out the 2 lane bowling alley and throw a few frames. Though the condition of the lanes aren't the best it will still be fun giving it a try. Next to the alleys is a hot tub and steam room and a fitness room. All worth your time to check out.
Husbands surprise your wife with a trip here, she will be very impressed and say she didn't know that you had such class to pick a beautiful getaway like the Hotel Pattee.

Room Tip: Go online and look at the photos of the different rooms. Pick one that appeals to you. If you are tr...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

I stayed in the Louis Armstrong Suite! Most divine, beautiful master bedroom and living room i have ever seen. Steam glass shower and deep jet bath tub! I enjoyed there indoor pool, steam room,and bowling alley! Not to mention there bar and drinks was great! Best service, friendly, cozy place! Love Love Love this Hotel!!!

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

When you want to focus on romance and stay at a unique location, the Hotel Pattee is the perfect blend of timeless beauty. Art is everywhere, even when you look out your window. History of Perry, pride in its town, and strong Midwestern values prevail at this delightful location. Each room has a unique theme. The private bowling alley was a total surprise. The hotel has a fantastic restaurant, nice bar with live music, and even a library, spa, and exercise room. Hotel Pattee is a unique experience that really makes you feel like you are special and welcomed.

Our experience: We enjoyed an evening meal of Irish Salmon and the walleye in the restaurant. The food was fantastic. We heard Frank Sinatra music in the background which added to the historic railway dining experience. Each booth was labeled with custom artwork and the art on the the wall was simply amazing.

During the evening, the bar area had live folk music. We also visited the library/lounge which was wonderful and uniquely relaxing in itself. We self toured the basement and discovered the beautiful spa and small bowling alley.

We slept the night in one of the most comfortable hotel beds on the planet, and looked out our window to see more art on the buildining and on the roof. We stayed in the Southeast Asian room that had an authentic wedding chest, decorated with Laotian artistry, beautiful mahogany woodwork and some of the most romantic indirect lighting in any room I've ever been in. The rooms were clean and well maintained. It had the usual hair dryer, ironing board, and great smelling soaps. The room included bath robes if you fancy that type of thing.

We went to breakfast at the restaurant and had excellent service and delightful food. Again, we heard period appropriate and refreshing music. Overall, this was the most delightful and refreshing one night get aways we have ever experienced. Thanks for the most memorable and relaxing experience. We came from Iowa City and it was worth the drive.

Room Tip: Look at the website as they have 40 unique room themes.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Pattee? Share your experiences!