“Decent hotel but not spectacular” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Amsterdam Hotel
705 East First Street, Pella, IA 50219   |
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Pella
Michigan
“Decent hotel but not spectacular”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is a nice, clean hotel in downtown Pella. It is not a spectacular hotel but it is fine. The price I paid was reasonable and my stay was fine. There is no business center in the hotel. The rooms, while clean, are plain. The bed was small and the furniture was tired. I could hear the woman cough all night in the room next to me and the person in the room above me was walking around much of the night. There is no reason that I would not stay here again, though I would suggest it isn't any better than a middle of the road chain hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
independence, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

With two students at Central College in Pella, Iowa, the Royal Amsterdam is our home away from home. We look forward to our stay almost as much as the visit with our kids! The staff is awesome, the rooms are always clean, ready when we arrive, and the desk is staffed 24 hours a day. The bar and restaurant are great, and they treat you like family when you are there. We recommend the Royal Amsterdam to all our family and friends that visit Pella, and they all love staying there as much as we do! If you visit Pella, do yourself a favor and stay at the Royal Amsterdam Hotel, you will love it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel is a beautiful, and beautifully managed place. The staff is awesome, and there are not enough words to tell how peaceful and enjoyable it is to stay there. The location, right in the middle of Pella, is perfect for shopping (or going out to eat.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We spent nearly a week at the Royal Amsterdam Hotel for a reunion with classmates and friends, and our experience was great. The staff was friendly, worked to accommodate our needs, and went "beyond the ordinary" to make sure our stay was pleasant. The Amsterdam's location allowed us to stroll through the downtown shops and some of the city's parks at our leisure. The Monarch restaurant on the main floor served Dutch pastries and coffee as a complimentary breakfast, and we chose to eat lunch and dinner there several times because the food was excellent and prices were reasonable. I would choose this hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cody, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I just spent the weekend in Pella, Iowa staying at the Royal Amsterdam Hotel and what a treat. The hotel is quite new, just off the town square overlooking a beautiful walkway and canal. Our room was very spacious, comfy bed, nice toiletries, and included a refrigerator. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There was also a restaurant and bar. Our room happened to overlook the walkway and canal. Looking out the window I could easily have thought I was in some lovely town in the Netherlands and forgot I was in the heart of Iowa! Pella is a community with a rich Dutch heritage. It is also the home of Central College. It is worth a stop in this community if you are ever in Iowa just to enjoy the architecture, food, and parks and be sure to stay at the Royal Amsterdam, the price and experience can't be beat! And speaking of food, be sure to stop in at Jarsmaa's Bakery for a Dutch Letter pastry.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the walkway and canal
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I travel a great deal for business. My expectations for any hotel property are fairly simple - I want a friendly, attentive staff, a clean room, consistent wifi, and as hassle-free an experience as possible. I have visited Pella, Iowa on business on average 3-10 visits a year for the past 13 years, and the Royal Amsterdam is my hands-down hotel choice. The staff is fantastic and go out of their way to serve me. I even had an unfortunate incident a few years back where I came down with the flu upon arrival and the staff catered to my every need while I recovered. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. They offer a very nice complimentary breakfast and have the best bar and restaurant in the city. Lastly, their location in the center of the city can't be beat. I highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This is the best hotel in Marion County Iowa. Nice clean rooms. Staff is very helpful. Great location in downtown with many restaurants and great shopping. Royal Amsterdam Hotel has an excellent restaurant and bar on main floor.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Royal Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!