“Not too impressed” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1315 A Avenue East, Oskaloosa, IA 52577   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Oskaloosa
“Not too impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We pulled up at this hotel after searching the internet 20 minutes before arriving. The internet stated they still had over 6 queen and king rooms left. We asked for two of those and were told they were all gone but that we could have two doubles In a room which is more expensive. Rather than challenge the lady at reception we agreed. Once the money was paid she advised that she would not be serving breakfast! This made us feel doubly fooled by the owners here. We noted also that the hotel across the road was fully packed, but this one only had a maximum of five cars all night, including ours. As travellers we appreciate honesty, openness and transparency which we didn't feel like we got here. And you know what? We would have given a better review if she had been.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
shellbrees, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Oskaloosa, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
I am sorry that your stay with us was not very good. Our rooms up front here are our single rooms, they have been closed down for maintenence. We have a system that does not log in and subtract rooms when people walk in and rent them. I thought I should clarify that to you. I was not dishonest with anyone about our rooms. The double rooms is all that we had available. As for the breakfast, our breakfast room had been shut down for sometime, we had a water leak, and had to redo the whole room. It is up and running now! I am sorry you felt that I was dishonest with you, and that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I suppose when there's not a lot of competition, you don't need to aim to please. Such is the case with this inn. Non-smoking room reeked of cigarettes, dust covered phone and lamps (which did not work); broken alarm clock, window unit and TV. Bathroom was filthy with what looked to be dried blood on wallpaper and brown film on the baseboards. We were given 2 tiny bath towels which were stained and frayed. They do offer free wifi and muffins and coffee, but don't try to check in or get service past 10 pm, as the keepers are vocal the office closes at that time.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Oskaloosa, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I would never stay there again the place needs to be closed down I got my room and the beds had dog or cat hair all over the bed was broke our door handle would stick so anyone could be able to get in our room uhh they are to lazy to even clean off the steps so anyone could of fell and broke any bones they told me I was supposed to get 100 percent back but they only gave me 50 percent its just a old ran down hotel that needs to be closed or remodel everything. and kick the 2 that live there out and get new management because they were horrible.....

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
shellbrees, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Oskaloosa, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay here. We do close off our outside stairways during snows and after mainly because they get very slippery and we ask all guests in rooms on the balcony to use the inside stairway. That is the reason for the chains at the stairs entrances.

All of your concerns and recommendations will be considered.

Management
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My group was happy to check into this property, avoiding camping in the rain -- the rooms were clean and spacious and boasted a microwave and refrigerator -- real pluses for us! The front office staff was very accommodating and provided great service. I would recommend this property as a inexpensive alternative for a stay in Oskaloosa.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This property is a little worn like most small town motels but our room was just fine--a suite with two beds plus a sofabed in the other room. We were on the second floor of the second building, and maybe that was a renovated wing. Great price and staff was friendly.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor of the second building, not the one with the office--nice room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Oldbiker49
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

For the frugal traveler, the Best Value Inn is a motel on the mend. Improvements continue and if you're seeking a clean place to sleep, then this is your place. Friendly staff upon check-in, the room was clean and on the first floor. Sturdy mattresses, a clean bathroom and a new vanity are all positives. Unfortunately on the first floor, your neighbors leave at 5:00 am. Not the motel's issue, so we should have taken a second floor room. Two queen beds for one night was $55.00. Well worth the money.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brigham, Ut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is an old property and has one wing that has been renovated. Unfortunately we were given a room in what looked like te Norman Bates motel. It is up behind the office and the rooms are old and stink. Th e carpet was so dirty that I wore my shoes and only took them off when I got in bed. The bathroom was very old with what looked like mold behind the toilet. It was clean however. The continental breakfast consisted of a frozen bagel and coffee. There was dry cereal but no fruit or juice. This place should be closed down until they can afford to remodel. I hope that I never have to stay in this dump again.

Room Tip: If you do book, ask for one of the remodeled rooms or go to Pella Iowa. They have nicer motels,.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
shellbrees, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Oskaloosa, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here with us. The building you stayed in, is the next one to get the new carpet and all that it needs. We have only been able to do things when we have the money available. We have a lot of people that stay here that specifically ask to be in our back building they say it is so much more quieter than being in the front side of the hotel where the traffic is. i am terribly sorry about the breakfast, it is a cold continental breakfast, and so many people here, we ran out of the fruit, donuts, and muffins. Again, I am sorry, and I hope one day you come back and check out our updates that we are making.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Oskaloosa? Share your experiences!