“Clean, friendly and inviting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dutch Colony Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orange City
Dutch Colony Inn
You added Dutch Colony Inn to your Saves list
706 8th St. SE, Orange City, IA 51041   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Orange City
Kansas City, Missouri
“Clean, friendly and inviting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I've spent many nights at the Dutch Colony traveling for business. I regularly travel all over the U.S. and I must say that I enjoy staying at the Dutch Colony better than anywhere else. Why? Because this motel is exceptionally clean, well managed, and very friendly. They go out of their way to accomodate any requests. In the past I've mentioned to them that I liked to have a recliner in my room to rest my aching back at the end of a long day. They remember it everytime and make sure that I'm well taken care of. The big chains don't offer that kind of service....
This small town motel represents the best of what a traveler wants.....reliable, clean, friendly and consistant. The owner and employees are always very friendly.

I would recommend this motel to anyone...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

I work in Oklahoma and travel to Orange City quite regularly and have over the past 5 years. Ever time I am there I have seen work being done to the hotel. Updating of carpet and paint and furniture. Is it the biggest, most known hotel out there, heck no, but there is alot of pride that is shown in that hotel and I refuse to stay anywhere else. I have gotten to know the owners and they know me by name when I come. Every time I have asked for things they have went out of there way to provide it. I highly recommend this hotel, and will over and over.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We booked two rooms the end of January for an event we would be attending the middle of June. They do not do confirmation numbers but of course they hold your rooms with a credit card. The week of the event I called to verify the two rooms and was told because they had three events going on that same weekend and because they overbooked the rooms for the bride and groom and needed more rooms for the other events, they took one of our rooms away from us and didn't bother to tell us. They had not intention of telling us - if I hadn't of called to verify the rooms the 8 of us would of arrived at the front desk on Friday expecting to check into 2 rooms and had 1 room. They did say they would be happy to provide a roll-a-way in our remaining room if that would help. Uh no, that won't help - there are 8 of us. The one room sleeps 4 people and the roll-a-way will sleep 1 so where were the other 3 people to sleep - not to mention 8 people and 1 bathroom. Then we were told we were first on the list for any cancellation - another not true statement because we later found out that others who booked there for our same event were told the same thing. We called back and spoke to the owner asking why they took our room away without letting us know and what she could do about it - this is why we booked the rooms 6 months in advance and if there was a problem with us doing that then they should not have let us book 2 rooms. You don't just book two rooms for people and then decide oh we have over booked so we will just take people's rooms away and not let them know til they arrive. The owner didn't like that they were being questioned about how it was handled so they cancelled the other room also. Once again I was not told this until i called back later to verify we stil had one room - I was then told that the remaining room had been cancelled per the owner and once again if i had not have called to verify this we would not have known til we showed up to check in.
Don't book here - you can't be sure you really have a room reserved when you arrive....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Orange City hotels

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Orange City, Iowa is a beautiful, unique Dutch community in Northwest Iowa. We visit the area quite often because we have family there.

During our last visit we stayed at the Dutch Colony Inn. While the Dutch Colony Inn is clean and neat, it needs something to brighten it up. Even higher watt light bulbs would help. Also, for the money, we expected a bigger breakfast.

While I encourage everyone to visit this wonderful community, I would recommend staying in nearby communities like Le Mars, Iowa for now.

• Liked — It was quiet and clean.
  • Disliked — It needs to feel more cheery and inviting. The breakfast left much to be desired.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dutch Colony Inn? Share your experiences!