“Charged for smoking when we didn't smoke--and they charged us behind our backs” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dutch Colony Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orange City
Dutch Colony Inn
You added Dutch Colony Inn to your Saves list
706 8th St. SE, Orange City, IA 51041   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Orange City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Right from the start, the front desk lady was very rude and shirt with us, despite only friendly questions being asked. A few days after our stay, our bank statement reflected an unexplained extra charge. We called, and they stated that we were charged an extra fee because the cleaning lady "found ashes in the sink". We do not smoke! No amount of explaining helped us, the front desk lady was extremely rude and not willing to work with us. We are very unhappy with this place.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I travel a lot for business and pleasure. This motel is average and average is not bad. To me the most important is being clean and the room was clean.

There was no coffee pot in the room and they still have old box TV.

For breakfast the offerings were quite slim.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed for a weekend for a family event. staff was polite and rooms were large and clean! New tv was in room. In our king sized bed there were 3 pillows and one in the dresser drawer. We requested one more due to a bad back but was told they did not have extras. A very very basic breakfast is available. We would stay there again

• Stayed July 2012
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel during Orange City's Tulip Festival. We are an older couple so we appreciate the family business aspect of the Dutch Colony Inn. It was a VERY busy week in this town and we couldn't have asked for a more pleasureable experience. Room was cleaned everyday, we were helped with directions when asked, and the place has a home away from home feel. We plan to stay here again next year and would recommend this hotel to our family and friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have never experienced less accommodating lodging. Not only was there absolutely no soap in the motel room (no hand soap or bath soap) but the owner (Joy) was incredibly rude when I brought it to her attention. Breakfast was also a half an hour late and they are the only hotel or motel I have ever had flat out deny a request for extended check out, with only a few cars in the parking lot. Very poor experience, over all!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Orange City hotels

Titusville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I went for a wedding in Orange City, IA and this hotel was selected for the wedding party with a block of rooms set aside. When I was checking in the desk person was more interested in what was playing on the TV across the lobby then talking to me. The room was clean, but for $75 a night I expect better than shampoo out of a little plastic pouch that I needed my teeth to open with in the shower. There was no conditioner. I had to buy some at the grocery store one block over. My room was not cleaned (not a big deal) but left me feeling like they don't care. The continental breakfast is nothing to write home about. Not even a banana or other fresh fruit offered. Hello sticky buns.
There is not much choice if you need a hotel in Orange City, and apparently they know it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back, and especially away from the lobby.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Hesperia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

I stayed at the Dutch Colony Inn Monday night for an interview at the college, and was quite pleased with the service. The staff accommodated a couple special requests quite cordially, and went out of their way to make me feel welcome. The owner was a sweetheart, you can tell they love what they do, and they do it with pride. The room was simple, but clean, and featured a very nice 40" LCD Television in the room, an oversized chair to lounge in, a desk, free wifi, and a comfortable bed. The mattress was a cut above what I'm used to for a hotel. Not fancy, no pillow-top or anything like that, but you could tell it was very new, and I slept like a log.

The room rate was also an exceptional deal, and even though there was a convention in town for the local paint manufacturing company, and I got their last room, they didn't shoot the rates sky-high like you see at a lot of the larger chain hotels.

Breakfast was a simple continental breakfast selection, nothing too fancy, but a nice touch, and got me on the road quicker than having to stop in for fast-food somewhere nearby.

overall an excellent experience. It's not often i take the time to review a place online, they have to make an impression on me, either very good, or very bad, and I'm pleased to say these people impressed me greatly! Thanks!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Knights Inn Rock Valley
Knights Inn Rock Valley
#1 of 1 in Rock Valley
3.5 of 5 stars 19 reviews

Been to Dutch Colony Inn? Share your experiences!