“I wouldn't stay here again or recommend this motel to any of my friends.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Vintage Block Inn & Suites

You added Vintage Block Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1107 Sanborn Avenue, Okoboji, IA 51355 (Formerly Abe's of Okoboji)   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Okoboji
“I wouldn't stay here again or recommend this motel to any of my friends.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here while attending a wedding. I had reserved a single king bed room about five weeks in advance. When I walked in to the lobby it seemed nice, but upon approaching the counter my expectations fell. There were two women working and while I was standing there they had a brief discussion about which one of them would be able to check me in. I was the only guest in the lobby and apparently both of them were too busy with other paperwork to check me in right away. So I just stood there. (I've attached a few pictures) We were assigned room number 43. It was NOT the king bed I had reserved, it was insanely dirty including multiple spiders and webs in every corner. There was no headboard, the TV kept turning completely red, and we discovered later that the hand towels that were folded on the rack were smeared with dirt, but it was folded to the inside. This was very alarming and strange considering that on our walk to the room we saw FIVE housekeepers walk out of one room. You would think that if five women are cleaning one room it would be spotless! I felt like they hadn't used our room in quite some time and had maybe closed it to do some maintenance and then just called it good and stuck us in there last minute. I felt over charged for a room that wasn't even what I had booked and had confirmed three days before my arrival. I'm very glad we only stayed one night and were too busy with the wedding to spend much time in our room. I have a professional certificate in Hospitality Operations Management and if I was the owner or manager of this place I would be embarrassed. I hope they take the ridiculous rate I paid and put it to good use with updates.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed here for the second time - for 2 nights over the 4th of July. We arrived in town around noon, but checkout wasn't until 3pm. We called the motel to see if our room was ready, and in about 10 minutes they called back saying we could check in! Very nice to be able to drop all our luggage off before heading to the lake!

Our room was clean, and maid service did a good job replacing towels and making the bed. The fridge and microwave were nice to have as well. Despite being a motel, the parking lot seemed very quiet at night. The outdoor pool was open and busy, but we never used it. The free breakfast is quite good - they have waffles, biscuits and gravy, hardboiled eggs, as well as toast, muffins, fruit, cereal, etc. They also have free ice, which is nice when you're filling up a cooler every day!

Not the most luxurious or updated accomodations, but for the price and location, you can't beat it! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night last August, and are planning on staying here again for 4th of July this summer. It is extremely hard to find hotels that will let you only stay 1 or 2 nights in the summer in Boji!
The rooms are outdated and beds aren't the best, but not any better that what you would find at Four Seasons or Northland Inn. Good enough for an affordable place to sleep, and a short drive to everything fun in Okoboji! We did enjoy the complemenetary breakfast on the deck.

Hoping our expeiernce this summer is good as well!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I had the unfortunate opportunity to stay at Abes Okoboji Motel & Suites; first impressions in the lobby area were nice. Once entering the room I found that their maid service did not do a great job as trash from the previous occupant was found. After the first night maid service came only exchanging the used towels for new towels. They did not make the bed nor take the trash out and found out the hard way that they did not provide more toilet paper. As they do not have someone in the lobby at night we had to purchase our own toilet paper. I have attached pictures of the restroom in the ice and pop room; I was looking for toilet paper and found a very unpleasing site.
The do not have a complimentary breakfast, cable, nor wireless internet. Our television worked for about thirty minutes and then the screen went red. When we informed the woman at the front desk she apologized and then informed us that the motel only has three employees including her self. I do not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott M, Owner at Vintage Block Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
We are sorry that Michelle did not have a good experience at Abes Okoboji Motel and Suites.
We were very disappointed that our staff did not do a good job. In April of 2012 we hired Bob and Roxy Wright as our new in house managers. We are very pleased that since they took over we have had a great response from our guests. We have repeatedly reached out to Michelle to offer her and her companion a complimentary stay but she has not responded to our efforts. Abes Okoboji Motel and Suites is working hard to be simply the best value in the heart of Okoboji!
Waconia, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The lobby and breakfast area have been remodeled and were very nice. The rooms are pretty outdated but were okay. Service was good and there's a nice deck and lots of outdoor seating available. The firepit was a nice addition and was used by many. If you're looking for affordable lodging, this will probably work for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Okoboji, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

The Okoboji Motel is convenient to all attractions around the lake, reasonably priced, clean and comfortable. What more can you ask for? The staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable of the area. Will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Vintage Block Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!