“a evening with friends” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Timberland B&B and Inns
Horncastle, United Kingdom
“a evening with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We thought that we would go out for the evening to The Penny Farthing at Timberland. It is down a small lane on the sharp corner. The car park is small and when we arrived we took the last space. The have a Specials Board which included plenty of tempting dishes. The atmosphere was warm and friendly. The food was good, hot portions and the Sweet Menu was very tempting three of us had the Sticky Toffee Pudding and I have to say that it was the best I have tasted soft not heavy texture. Certainly recommend it for you to try.
A good evening was had by all of us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We were impressed by the write ups on Trip Advisor and other pub review sites, so decided to pop in for lunch. The pub's web site says that it is open from noon but when the door opened at ten past twelve the barman ignored the customers and continued moving furniture around the dining room. The atmosphere in the bar was just like the welcome: cold and damp.
After standing around for a further five minutes we enquired whether they were doing food and the only response was, "Can't you see I'm busy?".
We took the hint and left to find somewhere who could be bothered.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bridlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. My husband had room 6 for the first night and could not sleep because of the noise from an extractor under his bedroom window. On telling the manager(?) the next morning he was swiftly given a much quieter room. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, with plenty of towels and toiletries. The staff were friendly and efficient, especially Anthony. The food was top quality, the integral restaurant very comfortable. I only have 3 small points that could easily be put right. It would have been nice to have had a guests lounge available, and the lighting on the stairs could be brighter and the stair and corridor carpet cleaned.

Room Tip: Do not have bedroom 6, Room 2 has a ful size bath. Others Showers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I were on a trip upto Lincolnshire and booked 2 nights at The Penny Farthing Inn and from check-in to leaving found the staff very friendly the room was comfortable and nice and clean the food was fantastic. I would highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here while working in the Lincoln area. This place has a wonderful, quiet location, great rooms and fantastic food.

If anyone is looking for peace and quiet, as well as a real treat when it comes to food, this is the place to go!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I agree with all the other good reviews about friendly staff and excellent food. Also, our bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Two peaceful nights with the only sounds being a mysterious church bell which we couldn't find, the dawn chorus and occasional tractor. Perfect.

Room Tip: We slept in room 2 at the back of the pub and our ensuite bathroom had a window which is a rare trea...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I loved this little inn! I started my Europe trip with this place, and coming from New York this was a welcome change. I drove all the way from Heathrow so I wanted to relax and stretch out. The staff here were so very accommodating and friendly, making sure that everything was intact for me throughout my stay. The breakfast was very very good, the traditional English Breakfast. The General manager of the inn was my favorite, telling me various tales about the UK (very informative!!), very funny and even got me to eat eggs! (Which I have not eaten in about 12 or so years, and yes they were very good!).
The rooms were very nicely put together, bright, sunny and airy. The inn gave a great homely feel because the staff is not there 24/7 but, giving you your own keys to come and go as you please.
It is a little bit of a ways off to the central part of town (about 25 minutes), but that was fine with me.
The only thing that I would say is that be careful if you come on a Friday or Saturday evening, the place tends to be packed and it is difficult to get a parking space. Nothing to really worry about though.
When I come back to the UK, I will definitely be staying there again.
Thank you Thank you Thank you for an excellent experience!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Penny Farthing Inn? Share your experiences!