“Never again” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Spirit Lake, Iowa
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I heard several good things about Kazarelli's and decided to give it a try - never again! We were not seated until 30 minutes after our reservation time and the hostess was not the friendliest person we'd ever encountered. She constantly left the front door leaving us and many other guests standing in line wondering if we would ever get a spot to sit. The layout was so poor that we found ourselves moving constantly to avoid wait staff and other customers trying to leave. We were finally led to a room with about as much ambience as an old bowling alley (bright lights, musty smells, etc.). Oh, and let me tell you about the paper on the tables. There were linen cloths but they covered them all with white butcher paper. I felt like I should have been offered a box of crayons or a slab of meat to process for the butcher shop. I guess this wasn't my expectation of "fine dining". It took an additional 30 minutes for us to get a glass of water and bar drinks. The waitress was friendly but was completely disorganized. Quite often she found herself apologizing for issues the restaurant was having. At 90 minutes in we finally had an appetizer in front of us. We had to ask several times for bread and dipping oil and when it finally arrived it was tasteless and cold. Salads were okay and when the steaks were finally put in front of us at the 2 hour mark they were decent but the potatoes and vegetables were cold on one side of the pile and slightly warm at best on the other side. It took 3 requests for my husband to get a beer and at one point the waitress told us that she thought she might have given it to someone else by mistake. I would not recommend this restaurant. While dining we heard two other tables of patrons complain about the same issues we were having loud enough for us to hear. Another table also close by waited longer than us to even get acknowledge they were there. Meanwhile other guests that came in 15 minutes after them immediately got their order taken. There was no rhyme or reason to what any of the staff was doing. We have traveled the country together and my husband has traveled abroad and both came to the agreement that this was the worst dining experience we have ever had. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

New Orleans area
“Don't miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I travel all over the US working and visit many restaurants. I have been in this area for 6 months now and will leave soon. I have been to every eatery in Okoboji area many times. Hands down this place is great, all the time, I'm from New Orleans and know what good food is, Chef Dan is great and the staff are friendly. Anyone that writes a bad review on this place works for one of their competitors, ! He flys fresh fish on from Hawaii and New England, the Kobe beef lasagna is unreal good. I eat there weekly if not more. It's a little hard to find but well worth the effort

Sarasota
“Prepare to Wait for Your Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Since the menu is limited and all food is prepared as ordered, get ready to wait quite some time for your meal. This is NOT a quick-serve restaurant, but a fine-dining establishment with a full-service, well-stocked bar. There are also nightly specials.
All dinners begin with warm sliced bread(tasty). Meals on the regular menu include either homemade soup of the day or a salad of baby greens. The menu is heavily Italian, but is NOT served with garlic bread. The spaghetti with 3 golf-ball size meatballs dinner was fine, but really needed the garlic bread to compliment the meal. The walleye fish dinner was awesome, as was the soup of the day(Iowa Tomato Soup), although the soup was barely lukewarm. The pan-fried fish was served with jasmine rice and a mélange of fresh veggies, along with raspberry tartar sauce that tasted out of the jar and tinted pink. There was plenty of fresh lemon wedges for the fish. Other diners in our party were also quite pleased with their meals.
Service is attentive and pleasant.
Kazarelli's is actually located in the Village of Wahpeton, IA, outside Milford. Being in a resort area, dress is always casual.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Omaha, Nebraska
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I visited Kazarelli's for the first time early August 2013. It was the worst dining experience in a long time. We went there because of the "all you can eat fish" ad in the local paper. We paid $17 per person and after being at the restaurant for two hours had received 2 small pieces of walleye and fries. After multiple complaints to staff a female manager came to the table and told us that "if you want my fish you will wait". Although no foul language was used in complaining we were told by her that "we are no allowed to talk to her like that". I'm never seen such arrogance over fried fish and fries. We informed her that we had been at the restaurant since 6pm and she told us we got there at 7pm. Apparently she can tell time better than us. With the multitude of dining choices on Okoboji (this isn't even on the water) I would avoid Kazarelli's all together. I will never be back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“A great neighborhood bar & restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

For those of us on the west side of West Lake Okoboji, Kazarelli's is the perfect neighborhood bar & restaurant. It's like you're sitting in the Cheers Bar! You almost expect to see Norm sitting at the end of the bar.
Dan does a great job with his steaks & seafood, but the kobe beef lasagna is his speciality.

• Visited July 2013