“stay here if you dare” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 hotels in Mason City
Twentynine Palms, California
“stay here if you dare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My husband and I needed a place in a short notice. It's in a good location, and the sign said "free wifi". The price was right so we decided to stay for the night.
The lady(manager?) was pretty friendly with a big friendly cat there too. I didnt feel too bad til I got inside the room.....it was old and dirty. It's kinda place you dont wanna walk in bare feet. There are some dry "grass" on the desk and some hair was in the shower!! I dont think that place has been cleaned. You can't miss the dry grass on the desk. I uncovered the blanket and checked the bed.....found some hair again! I didnt feel comfortable sleeping in the bed. There were more hair in the bathroom sink too. Unbeliable!!
My husband has been to many places and he is pretty "tough" when it comes to staying strange places but even he told me this is pretty bad. We went out to get shower shoes too. We both regret getting the room, but its already paid for. We just sucked it up and spent the night, and left as quickly as possible the next day. It just seem like a place where some weird people would stay and do weird personal business or something.
The only things were; decent price(but Id rather wanna pay more for cleaner place!), free wifi, and good location.
If you cannot afford any other places, this has to be it. Otherwise, worth paying more for comfort and security.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel managers Shawn and Lorna are really kind people, and great to chat with. I needed a place to stay for a few months and they dedicated a room to me for a very reasonable price. Free wifi, good, hot showers with excellent water pressure, comfy beds, close proximity to quite a few amenities including a convenience store, a movie rental place, a couple decent bars (check out Lorado's), the mall and several eateries (a block from Pro's Sandwich Shop - cheap and delicious homemade fare - and close by, Wok 'N' Roll has an excellent menu, and Chop is super swanky). Being smack in the center of town, it is a great hub to travel to and from - you're in the center of everything Mason City has to offer here, within blocks of a Frank Lloyd Wright building!, a really excellent library, a club (Eleven), and not far away is East Park, which is a great place to stroll or sit by the meandering stream that flows through it.
You can't beat the location and value of the American Best. Give it a shot!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

When I got to town I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay while I visited family. This was definitely the place to be! Staff was helpful and friendly, the other guest were nice too. Hotel is older but looks like upgrades are in progress. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: No restaurant or pool but plenty of restaurants to choose from in Mason City, and I'm not really...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Dirty carpet and bathroom. Grossley over priced. We were desperate and they socked it to us Don't know what else to say except that we we're very disappointed. I guess could say the same thing over and over. We should have demanded our money back and found another place, but it was late and we weren't sure we would be able to find anything because of many construction workers seeking motel rooms also. My daughter and I had separate rooms and her room wasn't too bad, but she was furious about the filthy bathroom and carpet, also very badly worn. we really couldn't get out of there fast enough the next morning. If the occasion ever arises where I need a room in Mason City, I'll sleep in the car before going there again. The carpet was so dirty that when i got my feet wet, it left my foot pring on the tile in the bathroom. As the title of the review says, "Don't stay here

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Mason City hotels

chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Wow is all I can say. I needed a place to crash on a night of buisness, thought I would save a penny. Boy did I make a mistake. This place was terrible. The room were a pit, sheets were stained with God only knows what. The other clientel that were there were very scary people. The managers, were nice at first, however creepy at the same time. Seriously I should have slept in my car. I believe there was a science expierement growing in my shower.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

Just needed a place to get some sleep and the price was ok. Guy at the front counter was friendly. Asked for non smoking and the first room they gave us smelled like a bar. They gave us a second room but the heat was off. Carpets looked like someone changed their oil on them. No toilet paper in the bathroom. I unpluged the fridge because it squeeled so bad. Went to take a shower and there were empty shampoo/conditioner packets laying in the shower. Beds were uncomfortable, room stunk. No contental breakfast in the morning. Wish the place we stopped first would have still been open even though it cost a bit more.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Altoona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

The hotel room was very interesting we walked in and were greeted by a blast of the smell of smoke we found ashes next to the bedside, we opened the door again to check the no smoking sign posted---Yes it said No smoking but it smelt worse than a bar in there. They must have thought so too because there was a car freshener hanging from the light.
The floor boards were all rip out of the room and in the corner there was some animal poo. Everything was well worn and the bedspread was a dingy brown/yellow on the inside--the sheets popped off the bed every other minute so you could have a look at the wonderful mattress you are sleeping on. The mattresses crunched when you sat on them (yes I thought it was strange too).
The bathroom had hair in the drain in the tub--as in it covered the whole drain--not just a few hairs. The sink was grimy brown and felt greasy.
I noticed many contractors staying here--this hotel wouldn't be bad for that I suppose, due to the fact that it is the cheapest place in town , no one minds if you bring a little dirt in, and they have a little fridge and microwave., but not a family---or your loved ones.
On the plus side--
It did have a little refrigerator and microwave. It claimed to offer free breakfast but didn't see where they could have it and plus was a little afraid to eat there. It is located right next door to the town's mall, other shopping hot-spots and not to far from restaurants . Our room was right next door to a gas-station, so if you wanted coffee or a snack late at night you are right there. The person behind the desk seemed nice. They had a outdoor pool in the drive-way.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!