“Don't stay here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 hotels in Mason City
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Don't stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Dirty carpet and bathroom. Grossley over priced. We were desperate and they socked it to us Don't know what else to say except that we we're very disappointed. I guess could say the same thing over and over. We should have demanded our money back and found another place, but it was late and we weren't sure we would be able to find anything because of many construction workers seeking motel rooms also. My daughter and I had separate rooms and her room wasn't too bad, but she was furious about the filthy bathroom and carpet, also very badly worn. we really couldn't get out of there fast enough the next morning. If the occasion ever arises where I need a room in Mason City, I'll sleep in the car before going there again. The carpet was so dirty that when i got my feet wet, it left my foot pring on the tile in the bathroom. As the title of the review says, "Don't stay here

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Wow is all I can say. I needed a place to crash on a night of buisness, thought I would save a penny. Boy did I make a mistake. This place was terrible. The room were a pit, sheets were stained with God only knows what. The other clientel that were there were very scary people. The managers, were nice at first, however creepy at the same time. Seriously I should have slept in my car. I believe there was a science expierement growing in my shower.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

Just needed a place to get some sleep and the price was ok. Guy at the front counter was friendly. Asked for non smoking and the first room they gave us smelled like a bar. They gave us a second room but the heat was off. Carpets looked like someone changed their oil on them. No toilet paper in the bathroom. I unpluged the fridge because it squeeled so bad. Went to take a shower and there were empty shampoo/conditioner packets laying in the shower. Beds were uncomfortable, room stunk. No contental breakfast in the morning. Wish the place we stopped first would have still been open even though it cost a bit more.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Altoona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

The hotel room was very interesting we walked in and were greeted by a blast of the smell of smoke we found ashes next to the bedside, we opened the door again to check the no smoking sign posted---Yes it said No smoking but it smelt worse than a bar in there. They must have thought so too because there was a car freshener hanging from the light.
The floor boards were all rip out of the room and in the corner there was some animal poo. Everything was well worn and the bedspread was a dingy brown/yellow on the inside--the sheets popped off the bed every other minute so you could have a look at the wonderful mattress you are sleeping on. The mattresses crunched when you sat on them (yes I thought it was strange too).
The bathroom had hair in the drain in the tub--as in it covered the whole drain--not just a few hairs. The sink was grimy brown and felt greasy.
I noticed many contractors staying here--this hotel wouldn't be bad for that I suppose, due to the fact that it is the cheapest place in town , no one minds if you bring a little dirt in, and they have a little fridge and microwave., but not a family---or your loved ones.
On the plus side--
It did have a little refrigerator and microwave. It claimed to offer free breakfast but didn't see where they could have it and plus was a little afraid to eat there. It is located right next door to the town's mall, other shopping hot-spots and not to far from restaurants . Our room was right next door to a gas-station, so if you wanted coffee or a snack late at night you are right there. The person behind the desk seemed nice. They had a outdoor pool in the drive-way.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Upon late afternoon check-in, my husband was given a room that was not ready; the bed was unmade and there were dirty linens in the bathroom. They did give him another room but after making him feel like the other room should have been OK. The second room was cleaned (?) but had cobwebs around the ceiling and no baseboard.

There was a sign posted that breakfast was served starting at 6:00 am. At 7:15 there was nothing there but coffee and no one around so he waited 10 - 15 minutes. He checked out shortly after that and there still was no one around.

Definitely NOT a "best value inn; Do not stay here!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

I stayed in the Americas Best Value Inn, during one of the events in Mason city.The good thing is they have the best rate for the service in town.
I guess it used to be Best Value Inn before and heard the new management has taken the Vantage Hospitality brand and upgraded it to Americas Best Value Inn and Suites.The front desk manager was really friendly and accommodated with all my request regarding the rooms, although they were full that night.He was very good in giving us the directions.The rooms were cozy and comfortable.I actually stayed in one of the upstairs room with kind of private balcony and the hotel has both interior and exterior corridor access.
There was a nice swimming pool,but it was out door, so closed for winter.The breakfast, room cleanliness,linen were all decent.The wireless internet was really faster than my home connection!! Although the parking lot in front is bit tight, actually there are enough spaces to park all the cars.If needed they have additional spaces at the back too.
I would recommend this hotel to individuals and family both for bussiness and family purpose

• Liked — Best price and Best service
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Myrtle Point, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

The Mason City Thrift Lodge is now called America's Best Value Inn. Being budget travellers on a cross country trip, we have to make every penny count. I got a 1 Queen Bed Room for $39.95 + tax. This is half the price the rest of the known motels in the area.

Of course, you get what you pay for. The motel is located in an older area of town, which is cramped and depressed looking, along a busy intersection. Parking was a bit tight in front of the office since there was a small swimming pool that took up much room. There was additional parking at the back but it did not look very safe. Check-in was quick. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We had a first floor room which opened into an interior corridor with worn carpeting. Our room smelled musty and old although it looked clean and average size. We had a view of the back parking lot and a glimpse of the town mall. There was a table and 2 chairs, 1 night table, dresser, microwave and a small fridge. The AC was ok although the iindividual thermostat control was broken. The bed was average and the sheets looked clean. The bathroom was clean too with thicker than average towels. The shower stall was big with swinging glass doors. The water felt a bit slimy but this was a common observation during our stay in Iowa motels.

There was a continental breakfast in the morning but the orange juice was obviously watered down and at 9:30 am, they were out of toast. Checkout was 11 am and at 9:00am, we got a loud knock on the door from housekeeping despite having a "Do not disturb sign" on the door knob. Checkout was quick. I asked directions to the post office. They could not even remember the name of the streets. The verdict: If you can put up with a few things and if your stay is only for a night and only to sleep, go ahead and book a room here and save some money.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!