“Skip it!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mason City
Iowa
“Skip it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

My sister and I met here for a weekend get-away as it is half way for both of us from where we live. We had stayed here before when our Mom was in the hospital in town and found it quite adequate and clean. What a difference a year can make.
The room wasn't terrible but not squeaky clean. There was no regular coffee for the coffee pot and stale coffee still in the pot. The toilet would run for 10 to 15 seconds every so often, which would have been annoying if we hadn't had ear plugs.
The halls are not very well lit at all, almost dingy.
What clinched it for us was that we couldn't get the wireless to work after 45 min. of trying. We used the computer in the lobby but they have annoying parental restrictions requiring a password for sites that shouldn't be restricted. Also, the staff used the lobby and breakfast area for their living room, ate pizza and talked very loudly in another language. It was very unprofessional and annoying. Certainly not what you would expect to see when you come in to the lobby. Glad we had a 2nd floor room.
The breakfast was minimal and there seemed to be no one checking on things to replenish. Ended up with a bowl of cereal and some OJ.
There was rarely anyone actually at the front desk whenever we went by or called.
It just could have been so much better for $68. We will stay elsewhere next trip.

• Stayed November 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mason City, IA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

The other reviews are very accurate of my experience, too, however I would like to add that this Days Inn is very pet friendly. I have stayed there several times with my dog- she is a breed that has been discriminated against due to poor owner behavior- and we were welcomed by both staff and other guests.

• Stayed September 2009
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Just returned from Mason City the room was ok for the price paid $39 but would not pay anymore, cleanliness of the room was fine but the front desk was a shambles as the managment team do not seem to communicate that well with their staff.On arrival we found the receptionist lounging around and was not that welcoming....................
The breakfest selection was very poor and very seldom replemished, would only stay here again if stranded.
The managment team reaaly need to wake up and smell the Coffee !!!!!!.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

I have stayed at this property only once, but for a 7 day stay when my truck broke down and I got stranded in Go' Ole' Mason City. I tried to get a room at the Super 8, however they were full. This Day's Inn is OK. It was not as clean as some others I have stayed at in the past. Very quiet though, breakfast was adquate. Free WiFi which worked excellantly was a big plus for the price. They also had a computer avilable in the lobby. The night staff was very VERY nice, the day staff I could hardly understand when they spoke. No amentites, but good for the price. Rooms are very tiny, good for one person. Safe location as well.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
OMaha, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

I used the Entertainment book to make this reservation on my drive home - small hotel with no frills - front desk lady was polite and courteous -

No pool - no business center - had to get instructions to reset the TV to get all of the channels, but then it worked - okay room - king bed and recliner chair - small bathroom, but okay - surprisingly nice fluffy towels - good price at $52.00

Breakfast was basic, but neat and stocked which is more than I can say for some higher priced hotels I have stayed in recently -

free newspaper in the morning too was a nice surprise - this hotel is in the downtown area of Mason City, and somewhat quiet except for some of the drivers in the next door fast food restaurant -

I would stay here again, if I just needed to sleep

• Liked — easy to find
  • Disliked — computer not working in business center
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a room in the front of the hotel, not facing the back and restaurant area
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Mason City? Share your experiences!