“The polar opposite of a great hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mason City
“The polar opposite of a great hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

To begin, I travel frequently for business. I never post a review unless the place exceeded my expectations or left me disgusted. This place was the latter. If a person wants to put a hotel under...follow the business plan of Days Inn Mason City.
My initial contact with the hotel front desk via phone left me feeling like I was imposing upon the clerk for asking normal info about the rates and property.
Upon arrival, I was met by a discourteous, deathly ill woman that seemed borderline psychotic. I was practically thrown the the key card and ushered on my way. She had something very important to watch on the TV I noticed.
As I entered the hallway, I was assaulted by a smell resembling body odor, bodily fluids and smoke.
I had reserved a non smoking queen but arrived to a smoking full. I was exhausted from travel so I opted to grab my febreeze and deal with it. I will give the hotel this....when they provide you a smoking room, it has smoke embedded in everything. I think I second hand smoked a carton during my three day stay. Half a bottle of febreeze did nothing.
Topping off the list of negatives were a sink that did not drain, sloppy housekeeping and general nastiness.
I almost forgot, a winter storm dropped a few inches of snow. The sidewalks were not cleared or salted. While walking I slipped twice on the sheet of ice covering the sidewalk.

• Stayed December 2012
Milav P, Manager at Days Inn Mason City, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for providing your comments. We apologize for inconveniences that you experienced during your three day stay. We have addressed these issues and have been working diligently to improve the areas that you mentioned.

I am not sure what smell you referred to because our hotel does not have any such smell issues. Also we always make sure that during and after the snowfall we clean and shovel the sidewalks so our guest would not have to experience any difficulties getting in and out of our facility. However, if the storm is bad and mother nature is pounding us it is hard to keep up.

Unfortunately, this room was booked as smoking room so we assigned the smoking room per guest request. We had plenty of non smoking rooms available around that time and we would have switched it to a non smoking room had we were asked.

Again, we thank you for your comments and hope that you would give us another chance to show you our hospitality that we are known for.

Milav. P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Davenport, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

It was a place to sleep, and it was nice to be able to walk to the river right behind the hotel, but the service and the quality of the hotel itself left a lot to be desired. Biggest complaint: darkness. The hallways and the ice/snack machine room were very dark. Many rooms were obviously unlocked (anybody could slip in and hide) and several times at night there was nobody at the desk even though the front door was open. Dangerous, even if we are in Iowa. Booked for two people, received shampoo, soap and towels for one. The "continental breakfast" was horrid. The cheapest bread available, a poor selection of bruised fruit, and two generic cereals. The snack machine was nearly empty and the candy bar I bought had to be over a year old--it was inedible! Telephone only worked intermittently. Was refused the points for staying there because I booked through Hotels.com. Needed salt for some food I cooked in the microwave and there was none in the hotel. Not enough electrical outlets for cell phone and computer. When I complained, I was told the manager would call me. The next day, the manager "was not in" and I never received a call. I want a refund!!! Will never stay there again--mostly due to the poor response to my complaint. Penny-wise and pound foolish. No wonder the parking lot was empty.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Mason City hotels

Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Terrible experience, and we will definitely not stay there again! We booked a room at this hotel through Hotels.com, a non-smoking room. When we arrived, we were put in a smoking room. The rooms around us were both non-smoking, as well as the room above us. We know this because our friend was in that room. You couldn't smell the smoke in the hallway, but when you walked into the room, it was like someone was chain-smoking in there. I called the desk, and Jessica said that we booked a smoking room, and that because we prepaid for the room, she could not move us. She said the only non smoking room left was a jacuzzi suite, to which I asked to be moved to and would pay the difference, and she said she couldn't do that. She said that even if she could, we would still have paid for the smokey room, plus she would have to charge us full price for a new room, and we wouldn't get our money back. The surrounding hotels were sold out so we were forced to stay there. We opened the windows and turned on the fan to air out the room, and went to dinner. Jessica did bring down some air freshener to try to cover up the smell. When we returned from dinner, the smokiness was worse than when we left. We were not next to an exit, and again, the surrounding rooms were all non smoking. My husband was running a marathon the next morning and had to breathe this crap all night. We didn't sleep well at all. The free wifi was not available in the guest rooms, we had to go sit in the lobby to use our computer. The room was in desperate need of renovations, as there were stains on the ceiling and walls, and the whole room wreaked of smoked...the mattress, pillows, towels, etc.

I happen to work for a company that owns nearly 30 different hotels, and Days Inn is one that they own in MN. I inquired about what the policy is if someone gets put in a smoking room when they reserve non smoking, and was told that all they have to do is change the room number. They said it's common for hotels.com to book the smoking room even though the customer actually thought they were reserving non smoking. It was a simple thing that could have been done, and instead of making the customer happy, Jessica chose to blow smoke and as a result we had to suffer. Terrible customer service, and I am all too happy to share my experience with all.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WINDSOR HEIGHTS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Value received for the price was great. Was just looking for a place to sleep. Did not use any services except the ice and vending machine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Williamsburg, Iowa, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

It was pretty clean, nice employees, small - not a place to take a luxury vacation, but a good place to crash if you're on the M.C. If you have little ones you may want to bring your pack and play as they didn't have one available for us

• Stayed August 2012
Dubuque, IA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The room was run down and dirty. Ceilings had water stains. Shower curtains had dirt or mildew on an area. The bed was ok. But who know if it was cleaned to the standards of the rest of the place. I have scratched this place from my list.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Days Inn Mason City? Share your experiences!