“Nice, quiet restaurant, excellent food...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Mason City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Nice, quiet restaurant, excellent food...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010 via mobile

Nice, quiet restaurant, excellent food and the waitress was super nice! My husband and I both had steak and it was awesome. Would definitely go there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Des Moines, Iowa
“trying to get back here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

Lived in Mason CIty and this was one of our favorites! The steaks are so tender. They're cooked greek style. We never tried anything else because the steaks were that good. Bad part is the wait. The building is very little so you can wait up to an hour. They open at five pm and start taking reservations. The waitresses are all nice. Definitly worth a try. Meals range from $20.00 to $26.00. They also serve wine and beer. Not sure about desserts.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Connecticut
“Quirky with top notch steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

First of all, this restaurant is in a residential area and also behind a cement plant. You certainly don't feel as if you're in the right place, but then randomly there is a restaurant. The building looks quite big, but it's actually a very small dining room which means the wait time is long (even on a week day). They don't take reservations (might for larger parties), but you can call ahead to put your name on the wait list. While you're waiting you can have a drink and play cards upstairs. No idea why the large area upstairs isn't used as another dining room, but oh well.

I've had both the filet mignon and the NY strip at the Northwestern and both were absolutely delicious. The juice they are served in is addictive. We were soaking up the juice with our bread and pasta. They also have beer, wine, and hard alcohol.

This is not a fancy place at all. It's actually a hole in the wall kind of joint, but the steaks are out of this world. It's can't be good for you for how delicious it is! But if you don't like steak or you're a vegetarian, this definitely is not the place for you.

Sunman, Indiana
“Amazing place, great steaks.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

After reading tripadvisor reviews, I decided to check this place out while in Mason City for the PGI Convention. Even though it's usually a mistake to do so, I went with a large group (12 people). The service was great, even with the large group and splitting checks. Food was amazing, perfectly cooked steaks and wonderful spaghetti. The servers and cooks managed to get everything out together, and it was all hot and delicious. Great job! It was my birthday, and the server sat on my lap, sung Happy Birthday to me, and kissed me on my cheek. Over and above all around, and a fantastic experience. I will definitely be back the next time PGI is in Mason City!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Hartford, CT
“Best. Steak. Anywhere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I grew up in Mason City and dined at Northwestern Steak House countless times. I never go back for a visit without at least one meal there. I have traveled the world in my adult years, and eaten at fancy steakhouses across the U.S., and the finest $70 Kobe beef does not compare to what the old Greek guys do here. My family and I have puzzled over their secret for many years and have concluded that they add lamb juice to the steaks. Whatever, they're tender and flavorful and, from my perch here in New York, I am yearning for one right this minute.