“Heard good things only to be let down” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Mason City
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Heard good things only to be let down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed in Mason City before at other cheaper hotels and this time I thought I would stay some where more nice and was expecting more for the price. I made a special request when I booked my room for a later check since I am here for business and needed the room most of my last day. The lady told me that this would not be a problem. I called before my arrival to make sure that this was noted on my reservation and the gentleman on the phone told me that as long as I asked when I made my reservation that it would all be taken care of. Well last night October 8th when I checked in I asked the front desk clerk if the note was on my reservation and very rudely she replied with no that is not on your reservation and you have to call in the morning and talk to management to get it changed. I thought this was ridiculous that I would have to call and talk to someone about this after it was the third time I asked about this. Well I did not have time to call this morning because I was tied up with my work stuff. So when I returned later in the afternoon I went to the front desk and asked for a manager and was greeted by another rude women who smirked at me and said I am the supervisor on duty. I told her about my request and reluctantly she finally made it happen! That is just the beginning of problems. The bathroom has mold growing on the bottom of the mirror and the shower provided luke warm hot water. Also do not plan on sitting peacefully in your room at night because you will hear every door that slams shut and every person walk by your door. I sit here in the room typing this and I checkout tomorrow and I will have to really consider staying here again when I come to Mason City.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here twice within 2 weeks and was very impressed. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The accommodations were comfortable, rooms were clean and nicely furnished, and the decor was pleasant and attractive. I definitely enjoyed the convenience of the in-room microwave and refrigerator. Cookies and coffee were always available in the lobby. The assortment of food available at the continental breakfast was quite impressive. Yogurt, waffles, biscuits, eggs, juices, bagels, toast, mini muffins and oatmeal were offered. I would highly recommend Country Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
GMMASONCITY, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Mason City, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your comment and rating on our property. We are always pleased to receive comments from our guests. We hope to see you again in the future.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I never write reviews, but I always read them. I purchased the hotel for one thing and one thing only, a place to rest and relax for the night. I was in town with a sick relative and had not had any rest. I finally got to the hotel in the evening to relax and catch a nap before returning to care for my sick loved one. As soon as I fell asleep....BANG BANG BANG on the door. Ugh I get up go to the door and it was a worker from the hotel. She says "oh sorry I didn't think you were in there", and walks away. Ummm WEIRD! So then no sleep most of the night taking my shift with my family. Finally fall asleep about 5am. Then BANG BANG BANG on the door again....housekeeping at 730 am. UGH!! I have not checked out! I guess I will just get up and get out of here because there is no way I am going to get any rest in this place.

Very Disappointed

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
GMMASONCITY, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Mason City, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. I do apologize for the noise and the knocking on your door. If possible, would you call me at 641 423 1770 so I can gather more information such as what night you were here. At 7:30 am we only have two employees on duty; front desk and breakfast attendant. Only the front desk person would have been to your room and only upon your request. Once I know the day, I can speak to the front desk person on duty. Again, thank you for your comments.
Oskaloosa, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed here on business, Hotel was clean and easy to find. Nice pool. Breakfast was not served until 7:00 so we missed that- no bargain and no breakfast. The beds were hard!!!!!! The pillows were horrible- they flattened like a pancake on contact. The hide a bed was a bed of rocks. No ice machine on our floor. So if you plan to stay here and be comfortable- bring your own mattress, pillow ice and breakfast, Then you will enjoy your stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
GMMASONCITY, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Mason City, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the survey. I apologize that the bed and pillows did not meet your needs. W recently purchased all new upper end, mid firm, lodging Serta mattress' for our rooms. We try to provide a mattress to fit all but unfortunately we do not always accomplish our goal. Our pillows are new feather pillows but there are synthetic pillows also in the room for your convenience. If you have a request for a certain type of pillow, please let the front desk know of your request and we will deliver them to your room.
Based on your comments concerning breakfast hours, I believe you were in the hotel on either Friday or Saturday nights because of the 7am opening. Our breakfast attendant arrives at least one hour before opening and will provide cereal, friut, pastries, coffee, etc upon request. The hot food is available shortly before opening. We also provide a Go Bag with cereal, pastries, etc. for those who leave before breakfast opens.
We appreciate all comments and use them to improve our hotel.
kansas city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

have statyed at this hotel several times and will stay again. But i was shocked at behavior of front desk- a young adult in our party lost her room key- she went to the front desk to get another key. The man working the desk did not ask her name or for an ID - he simply gave her the key for the room she asked for- good thing she was not an ax murder cuz if she was she just got access to a room NO QUESTIONS ASKED. this is a HUGE safety concern

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GMMASONCITY, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Mason City, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
My apologies for the way the additional key request was handled by my front desk person. Our policy is very strict. When an additional key is requested for a checked in room, I require the front desk person to ask for ID and room number. We then check the reservation system to be sure the room and name are the same. Many times a person will come from the pool and have no ID so we will ask other information such as address, phone number, etc. If we still are not satisfied, we will escort the person to the room. For a child, we normally ask that a parent come to the front desk so we can issue a new key.
If possible would you provide the date and time of the key request so I can speak to the person on duty that day?

Jim Latham
641 423 1770
Wilton, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in Mason City one night, Sunday June 10, 2012. Regular room with a king size bed. The entire property was like new, clean and well kept. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet. No noise from outside the room. Doors close softly, no listening to other doors slamming. Room was well equipped, refrigerator, micro wave, etc.

The free breakfast was very good, with china and silverware, no paper plates, no plastic. Hot items and plenty of the regular continental items.

All the employees we dealt with were friendly and courteous.

So why a "very good rating instead of "excellent"? The pool and whirlpool area was closed for a mechanical problem. It was listed on the Country Inn website as a feature of the hotel, and we would have stayed somewhere else had we known it would be closed, as there are lots of choices in Mason City, and we enjoy a swim and sitting in the whirlpool after a long day on the road. But this property was excellent in every other regard.

By the way, we had no trouble finding the hotel, our GPS took us right to it, and it is well marked, with a large sign out front.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Overall a good experience, but some quirks that would keep me from coming back. On the plus side, the room was clean, if a bit dated. Breakfast was very good, with several hot choices, more than at the competition. On the quirky side, first it was hard to find (my GPS had me going in circles to find the entrance, which is not clearly marked from the road); second, as others have commented, there is no cover over the entryway. Getting our luggage in was a hassle, as our rollers hung up on the seams in the sidewalk, and I had to hold the door open with one arm while trying to get my luggage thru. The "living room" of the suite did not have its own AC/heat control, and was too warm. In the bedroom, the curtains blocked the blower for the AC, sending the cool air behind the curtain and out thru the window glass, not into the room. So to get the benefit of the AC, you have to keep the curtains open, giving anyone in the parking lot a show. Worst, the blower in the return vent for the AC absolutely ROARED constantly, making it almost impossible to hear the TV and difficult to sleep.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites Mason City? Share your experiences!