“Don't miss the Avocado Fries!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
KC
“Don't miss the Avocado Fries!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We finished touring Frank Lloyd Wright's Historic Park Inn Hotel and noticed the outside dining of the Quarry. It was in a park like setting between interesting buildings. Our waiter was great, funny, and friendly. The avocado fries were different and delicious. The Gyro was superb and my strawberry and goat cheese salad was delightful.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Holmesville, Ohio
“Good Food , Great drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Was there late-night after a long drive from Badlands & service was good even though they were about to close , offered full menu.

Visited September 2013
“Don't miss the mushrooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We went to The Quarry one week ago and there was a jazz band. The place is well located and has tables outside. The mushroom and avocado appetizers are great. The atmosphere is relaxed and invites you to stay. I got lamb chops and they were really good

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Palm Springs, California
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is my seond time eating here as I come to Iowa each summer for a visit. After this dinner, I returned for lunch, and again just for appetizers. This restaurant is consistently good. We were a party of 4, each having a different dinner. My walleye was nicely done. Since I live on the west coast, this fish is not available to us. My partner had a steak. He, too, said it was deiicious. Our friends had the lamb and the other had the shirmp. Well, worth the return and will do it again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Crofton, Maryland
“Very flavorful food, fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had both lunch and dinner here during my visit to Mason City. I enjoyed both meals, and found the food to be very flavorful and fun.

Lunch was the muffuletta with chips and a cup of beer cheese soup, which was the special that day. Oh man, I hope they have that soup in the future! Very delicious, slightly spicy, very filling, exceptionally tasty. The sandwich as well took me back to New Orleans, though it was less an olive salad than a tapenade. Hardly worth complaining about, though, because the taste was spot on. (Yes, I know they're not the same thing, but it was a similar flavor profile, so I really didn't mind). My only complaint was that the bread was fairly greasy, as if it had been brushed with butter and grilled or something. Not bad flavor-wise, but a little heavy for lunch. Probably could have gone a tad lighter, but that's just one fella's opinion.

Dinner started with the avocado fries, which were so perfectly done. They retained their shape and body despite the temperature, and the flesh inside was buttery, warm all throughout, and creamy. Give them a few to cool off! :) Nice to note, too, that they really weren't greasy, and the jalepeno remoulade that came with was a marvelous foil to the fairly mild flavors of the veggie.

For the entrée, I had the duck... oh, the duck... A maple orange sauce is the start and finish of this dish. Paired marvelously with the garlic mashed potatoes, and accompanied by two generous discs of grilled zucchini, the combined flavors were superb. The sauce and duck on its own is a tad sweet, so it wouldn't have suffered from a bit of a brine, but all the same, it was perfectly cooked, and entirely delicious.

The décor was... mixed. Lunch was outside, as the day was lovely, so that was fine. (Tables and chairs could use a revitalization, but otherwise clean and presentable). The main room, or the left one if you're facing it from the outside, appeared to be more modern, stylized (as if in a mine or quarry), and had more updated furnishings, where as the other room (where I dined) was a bit more outdated. It was clean enough for the most part, but the tables and chairs had seen happier days, and the carpeting, walls and ceiling could definitely benefit from an update. Still, it was minor compared to the positives about the place. If I find myself back in Mason City in the future, you can find me here, at the Quarry.

Visited August 2013