“Priceless!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   119 Second Street SE, Mason City, IA 50401   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Mason City B&B and Inns
“Priceless!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My sister and I flew in to Mason City to attend family festivities. Not wanting us to be underfoot, my brother "put us up" at The Decker House. What a great idea. Service with a smile, worked around our schedule and we simply made ourselves at home. It happened to be Band Festival that same weekend. They reserved seating for everyone along the parade route, walked them down and even supplied umbrellas in case of rain! We were going to Church Sunday when breakfast was to be served. They waited and served the two of us and a guest when we arrived back later that morning! We made ourselves at home by having an ongoing card game at the dining room table the whole week-end. Serve yourself a beer and just leave a note....I love the honor system...We were in Iowa! The place was very clean, plenty of towels and any amenities we needed were provided. I loved that it is a family run business. Sally, Sophie and Tom were so sweet! We really did feel at home. Someone asked the price of the room. We answered, according to my brother and us, "Priceless!"

Room Tip: We loved the Rose Room with the separate vanity area and private bath as there were two ladies getti...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I had to fly back to the Mason City area on the spur of the moment for a funeral. It was a very sad occasion, and from start to finish Sally and Sophie were understanding, flexible, and wonderfully accommodating. At first it was just me at the inn, then a friend from high school joined me, and then her mother joined us after coming for breakfast. We couldn't have asked for a more peaceful and comfortable retreat during a difficult time. The inn itself is spotless and decorated with fantastic period antiques--not your typical hodge-podge of banged up yard sale pieces from various eras, by a long shot. I stayed in the Rose Room and appreciated being able to open onto an adjoining deck, as I'm a fresh air freak. The beds in all three rooms were very comfortable. Sophie and Sally managed to make us feel totally welcome while letting us have space to grieve and laugh. A heartfelt thank you to them for giving us a haven and rolling with all of our changes--we will definitely be spreading the word about this fantastic inn.

Room Tip: Choose the Rose Room for a private deck.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Deephaven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

The Decker House in Mason City Iowa provides a great B&B experience conviently located near downtown Mason City. Walking distance to good food, shops, and historic attractions was expecially nice. The hosts of Sally and Sophie provide a warm, inviting, experience; everything you would expect from a B&B. The historic home is very comfortable with many rooms to choose from. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Mason City.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but the unique back stairs entry to the 3rd floor suite is uniquely different.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mason City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Disregard the review from 2009, The Decker House is under new management as of late 2011. Sophie, Sally, and Tom are wonderful hosts in this beautiful home!

My wife and I stayed in the Magnolia Room Suite for an anniversary get away. We were offered a complimentary beverage and endless cookie jar upon our arrival. The home is beautiful and tastefully decorated. The Magnolia Suite is a private, third floor respite that was exactly what we were looking for. Quiet and comfortable with a relaxing jacuzzi tub.

Mason City's downtown area is currently undergoing a Renaissance of sorts. The convenient location of The Decker House allowed us to easily walk around the downtown area for spectacular drinks, dining, and live music!

Breakfast was the highlight as Sally's cooking is worth the price of admission alone. We were served fresh fruit, orange infused French toast, homemade blueberry syrup, sausage and endless coffee. Conversation with the hosts complimented the dining experience.

The Decker House is gorgeous in its own right, but what really makes a stay here special are the hosts. Thanks to the Ballmer's for a great experience!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I stayed here for several nights and while the house itself is beautifully renovated and the rooms were comfortable, it's missing the standard Bed and Breakfast touches. The main reasons I choose to stay at a B&B is the personable host(s) and the usual delicious homemade breakfasts. At this place, the hosts merely come to cook your breakfast each morning and the breakfast was unfortunately not very good at all.

There is not much choice for breakfast (during the few mornings I was there, I was given small cups of fruits and either pancakes or a slice of some baked egg concoction and 2 slices of bacon or sausages) I was never asked what I like or don't like. Breakfast was generally tasteless, orange juice was of the diluted kind and coffee was like water. It seemed like the place was run on a very tight budget with minimal money being spent on guests.

I paid $120 a night before tax and I expected more. For $120 I was expecting a toilet/shower inside my bedroom, but I had to walk about 3 metres down the hall for mine. For this I was expecting a much better breakfast than Holiday Inn.

Overall I was disappointed. It is a great place and has a great potential, but it is missing all the values of a true bed and breakfast. Be choosy with your rooms, my room was right under the attic suite, and I could hear and feel all the noise emanating from the room upstairs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Decker House? Share your experiences!