“Under new management...delightful.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Mason City B&B and Inns
Mason City, Iowa
“Under new management...delightful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Disregard the review from 2009, The Decker House is under new management as of late 2011. Sophie, Sally, and Tom are wonderful hosts in this beautiful home!

My wife and I stayed in the Magnolia Room Suite for an anniversary get away. We were offered a complimentary beverage and endless cookie jar upon our arrival. The home is beautiful and tastefully decorated. The Magnolia Suite is a private, third floor respite that was exactly what we were looking for. Quiet and comfortable with a relaxing jacuzzi tub.

Mason City's downtown area is currently undergoing a Renaissance of sorts. The convenient location of The Decker House allowed us to easily walk around the downtown area for spectacular drinks, dining, and live music!

Breakfast was the highlight as Sally's cooking is worth the price of admission alone. We were served fresh fruit, orange infused French toast, homemade blueberry syrup, sausage and endless coffee. Conversation with the hosts complimented the dining experience.

The Decker House is gorgeous in its own right, but what really makes a stay here special are the hosts. Thanks to the Ballmer's for a great experience!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I stayed here for several nights and while the house itself is beautifully renovated and the rooms were comfortable, it's missing the standard Bed and Breakfast touches. The main reasons I choose to stay at a B&B is the personable host(s) and the usual delicious homemade breakfasts. At this place, the hosts merely come to cook your breakfast each morning and the breakfast was unfortunately not very good at all.

There is not much choice for breakfast (during the few mornings I was there, I was given small cups of fruits and either pancakes or a slice of some baked egg concoction and 2 slices of bacon or sausages) I was never asked what I like or don't like. Breakfast was generally tasteless, orange juice was of the diluted kind and coffee was like water. It seemed like the place was run on a very tight budget with minimal money being spent on guests.

I paid $120 a night before tax and I expected more. For $120 I was expecting a toilet/shower inside my bedroom, but I had to walk about 3 metres down the hall for mine. For this I was expecting a much better breakfast than Holiday Inn.

Overall I was disappointed. It is a great place and has a great potential, but it is missing all the values of a true bed and breakfast. Be choosy with your rooms, my room was right under the attic suite, and I could hear and feel all the noise emanating from the room upstairs.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Decker House? Share your experiences!