“Very Nice Historical Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Decker Hotel 1875

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maquoketa
Decker Hotel 1875
You added Decker Hotel 1875 to your Saves list
128 North Main Street, Maquoketa, IA 52060 (Formerly Decker House Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Maquoketa
Reno, Nevada
“Very Nice Historical Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I met my daughter in Maquoketa to hike in the Caves State Park. I chose to stay at the Decker House for a change of scenery. It was definitely a change of scenery...beautifully restored and almost all the comforts of a modern hotel. I say almost since it did not have items such as internet, in room coffee, hair dryer, iron/ironing board, vending/ice. I can really get along without some things and perhaps some items might be available at the front desk The internet and coffee however for me is a must. I did access the internet and coffee in the lobby...comfortable but extremely loud background music. The owners were a pleasure.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a short weekend away to Maquoketa. We hiked through the caves at the State Park. After a long day of hiking, we were able to check in to the Decker Hotel much earlier than the usual check-in time, which was nice!

As someone who enjoys staying in family owned inns and bed and breakfasts frequently, this establishment was top-notch. The care put into refurbishing the hotel to its previous grandeur was done with exquisite taste. You could almost imagine your self stepping back in time walking down the grand staircase to a fabulous dinner in the restaurant. Despite all the beautiy and charm, the major factor in my statisfaction was the cleanliness of our room. I don't know that I have stayed anywhere as clean before. I remarked to my husband many times over about how clean the room was.

We had dinner in the restaurant and it was wonderful as well. The prime rib was delish!! I knew that I would not be able to pass up the buffet for breakfast the next morning. It did not disappoint!!

Overall, our expierence was very positive. There is not a lot to do in Maquoketa but the people are friendly and a trip to the caves for some hiking makes for a well rounded weekend get away. Be sure to stay at the Decker Hotel!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

Four good friends and I wanted to extend a college reunion, so I searched for a place we could call home in eastern Iowa. I was lucky enough to find the Decker Hotel. It has a nice website, by the way, which provides a good sense of what it's like.

There is very little to do in Maquoketa, but the countryside is gorgeous, and we didn't want to do much anyway. We wanted a pretty, comfortable, and reasonably priced place to be together, and the Decker worked out perfectly.

Each room is different, but the four we booked were all lovely. The individually controlled heat/air conditioning worked perfectly; the beds were great; everything was clean; the hotel owners were helpful, pleasant, and accomodating.

The prices are wonderful!

I couldn't recommend this hotel more highly,

• Liked — It's lovely
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Des Moines Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

The Decker house has a charm all in itself I enjoyed talking to the owners and even met one of their children. The hospitality is warm and friendly. I ate in the resturaunt and had a few drinks down in the pub.
I would stay in the comfortable, cozy rooms again. There clean and quiet.
If your looking for something unique and different and not to far to dine, rest, and have a few drinks, along with relaxation,and shops near bye you should stay here!
The food is excellent, with very good waitstaff and cooks!!
Thanks for the Great weeknd!

• Liked — People and friendly attmosphere, you feel as if you belong
  • Disliked — Could not stay longer than I had time too
  • Tips/Secrets — Relax enjoy the small town theme and the wonderful people
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carol Stream
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

It is a one of a kind experience!!!! I actually loved it !!!! it is antique and old!!!! But after the remodelling it looks new!!! But I have this thought in my head that this property might be haunted!!! It looks old and haunted!!!! I was actually scared to stay there at first but then I loved it!!!!

• Liked — creepiness and antiques
  • Disliked — it was perfect
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2006

My wife and I love to get to small getaways about once a quarter. We heard from some friends that a nice weekend was spent at the Decker Hotel. This weekend was one of a kind. The atmosphere is wonderful. I saw pictures that the owners had before they fixed the place up. They did a wonderful job and very classy. My meal was excellent. Food and second-to-none service. We went downstairs to a bar for a night cap and my wife and I had a wonderful night together. Kudos to the Decker.

Travlers from Wisconsin

• Stayed January 2006
pekin IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2005

My wife and I, along with another couple, stayed at the Decker House Hotel the weekend of October 15-16. As it was the 2nd stay for all four of us, we knew what to expect:great service, fun bar, beautiful rooms, all at reasonable prices. The hotel was full, so we had to get the smaller rooms, which were fine. The only drawback was a tiny shower. Other than that minor problem, the stay was great. The place was busy, so we didn't eat there, had dinner in town at The Loft, which is to be avoided at all costs. We wish we had waited to eat in the Decker restaurant like we had on the previous trip. We love this hotel, with the beautiful renovations, and the warmth the staff shows the patrons. We'll be back again soon.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Decker Hotel 1875? Share your experiences!