“Should have stayed in Sioux Falls” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larchwood
Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort
Save Saved
You added Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort to your Saves list
1415 Grand Falls Blvd., Larchwood, IA 51241   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larchwood
Custer, United States
“Should have stayed in Sioux Falls”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife, daughter and grandson and I stayed one night. My wife is disabled and we had one handicap accessible room. Distance from the check in area to the hotel rooms is a long way. The check in area could be moved to another area to be more convenient for people with walking difficulties. The room was small for four people. The handicap shower area was great but it took forever for the water to reach a comfortable temperature. They charge 10 BUCKS to get wifi per day. My grandson was pretty disappointed. Every other motel I've stayed at provides free wifi. The outdoor pool was closed and you must bring towels from your room into the pool area. Expect a nasty note describing what will happen if you don't bring back your room towels after using the pool. The front desk staff were friendly. The luggage carts for hauling your suitcases are stored near the main casino entrance. So therefore to use them upon departure you have to take the long trec from the room to the storage area, then return the long trec to the room to load and then again back to the main entrance so you can load you car. Poor design that could easily be rectified by stroring half the carts near the hotel rooms. There appeared to be plenty of room for storage of the carts at the concert hall entrance. Overall the beds were comfortable and the rooms quiet. If I was to stay again, I'd get two rooms.

Room Tip: Be prepared to do lots of walking
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
GFCR, Front Office Manager at Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to evaluate your stay with us and hopefully by providing you with some information you will choose to be our guests again. I am glad that you found the beds comfortable and rooms quiet, but I do apologize for the water in the shower heating slowly. I have alerted our Maintenance department and the issue will be corrected. Guest satisfaction was our goal in the design of Grand Falls Casino Resort, but that does result in some distance between the Front Desk and the Hotel rooms. The Hotel placement allows for excellent views of our waterfalls, outdoor pool area, and our 18-hole golf course that is on schedule to open next summer. We do have wheelchairs for guest use at Valet and 24-hour complimentary bellhop service available. We also would be happy to deliver a luggage cart to your room if you prefer not to utilize the bellhop service. I do apologize that the outdoor pool season (open Memorial Day to Labor Day) had commenced prior to your stay. As a benefit to our guests, we do provide luxurious pool towels in the room and additional towels will be provided by contacting the Front Desk. I am unsure as to the “note” that you received, but we do have signage provided in each room indicating our policy on this. I thank you for your input on your stay, and through ongoing training with my staff I hope to improve on communication with our guests to make the stay more enjoyable.

Joel Twedt
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Roseburg, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This resort consistently delivers! Service in all areas is awesome. The rooms are amazing, and the food is delicious, no matter where you get it. The boutiques are worth a look and the staff in them is very nice and helpful. Occasionally I even win on the machines.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get the grandview room, nice view and a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are pleased to hear that we are meeting your expectations at Grand Falls Casino Resort! I am glad to hear that you enjoy the Grandview rooms and the experience that is afforded with the balcony upgrade. Everyday there is progress being made on our Rees Jones designed golf course, which is certain to add to the scenery from the balcony! We look forward to having you back as our guest on your next visit to the area!

Joel Twedt
Front Office Manager
Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The rooms are just OK.
The soap in shower makes you feel as though your oily and the oil is not removable no matter how much you try to rinse it off.
The shampoo is scented rosemary- great for women perhaps but not all.

There is no venting of shower available thus all is steamed up and grooming via mirror not possible. -Talked to front desk about this and requested that the Manager be notified and instead was told that they will let maintenance know. Makes one wonder what information is actually being given to management.

Towels felt like stiff cardboard.
Coffee in room Kona blend only, which is not a preference of mine.
Only has a one-sided elevator thus quite a long walk to your room if you are placed in a room at the end of the corridor not near the elevator. Very poor design for disabled persons.

Attempted buffet for breakfast and found that there are not enough people to either seat you (which is apparently a requirement) or let you seat yourself. -This also caused others in line to wait to pay and be seated, time consuming and somewhat frustrating for those who may have a tight schedule especially in the morning.

The napkins had a fork and butter knife yet no spoon for coffee, when I requested one the person who seats you, who also doubled as a room server, table clearer, and coffee runner, said some spoons should be on the serving line but would get me one.
However, this person was also cleaning up tables and passed by twice without the spoon promised. I went to look for one myself and found soup spoon were the only type of spoons available.

The cook who was making omelets on the grill was quite busy as I wanted to get some bread, which was gone from the bread dispenser, to perform the self-toasting. Thus, I could not ask the obviously too busy cook and as mentioned above I already had one request forgotten (coffee spoon) by the room person/server.

The room person /server/bus person was running all the way to the back to get coffee from who knows where. I think placing an coffee urn out for self-service would had done nicely instead.

There were home fries available though they had either bologna or sausage in them and I did not appreciate that and would prefer to have home fries without them included.

The fruit was a mix of melons that I found had the hard rind included and was tough to chew.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Larchwood hotels

minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I saw a coupon for matching any other casino coupon and a coupon for 2 free buffets. I had a two consecutive night stay coupon for another casino, so we made a reservation. I read the reviews, and was a bit skeptical. Here is what I would tell people. This casino resort is VERY nice. The casino is clean, smells great, and has a very nice layout. As far as payouts go, many people complained in the prior reviews. I would tell them that I did play a lot, and found the bonuses to be almost nonexistent, or with a very poor payout. I did not see very many winners, but hey.... it is a casino. There are a few machines I found that DO pay out, so there are some there that pay out consistently. The hotel rooms are VERY nice. The bedding is so comfortable, the pillows are wonderful. Internet is NOT free, so that is something that I did not appreciate. I also did not appreciate bottled water in the room at $3.00 each. We did not eat at Ruthie's, which is their expensive restaurant. We did eat twice at the buffet, and it was quite adequate. the choices were not many, but what was offered was very tasty for dinner. I was not impressed with the breakfast buffet, however. The potatoes need a complete overhaul... they were awful, and the eggs were too. The sausage gravy was very good, however. The customer service is adequate, not too friendly, but not dismissive either. The pool area is amazing, with cabanas, lounge chairs, high top tables and chairs, and a very nice pool area.... that even has a lifeguard. Some rooms have balconies overlooking the pool, and at night there are two large pots that have fire burning. It is a very nice outdoor pool area, and the indoor pool area has a place where you can swim outside and then swim back inside. These amenities were WELL worth the two free nights. The grounds are well maintained, and lovely. Sioux Falls is not far away, and if you are looking for a great free afternoon, go to the Falls park, and walk into town along the river. Once into town, there are sculptures on display, in a very cute part of town. there is a trolley that is free that you can take back if you get tired of walking. This was a nice getaway, and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My family and I were looking for a place to have a small stay-cation that was not hours away. There are casinos closer to home, but we chose to take a little trip. Bad decision....

Upon arrival, the hotel is very nice and everything appears to be new and clean. We found the staff in general to be friendly and helpful. The valet were the friendliest of the staff from our experience.

The rooms are very nice and also seem to be clean, and are spacious! We had a corner queen suite with a balcony, and that didn't disappoint.

Now, for the gripes...

We travelled over 4 hours to come here, and had we not received coupons in the mail the rooms would've cost us nearly $350 for two night. For a casino, that is ridiculous! I was able to get them to comp me for the 'upgrade fee' which was helpful, however I still feel the rooms are GREATLY OVERPRICED when they know you'll be staying there and playing their machines.

If you are under 75, expect to get carded roughly 300 times during your stay. This casino really should offer wristbands, as every time you leave the gaming floor to go to your room, the gift shop, a restaurant or anything you WILL be carded. And the staff doing that job is rude and treats you like you're a criminal trying to pull one over. SUPER annoying.

We had been to this casino a few years ago, just stopped in for a couple hours and had an alright time. Upon arriving this time, they had the same exact machines they did last time. At other casinos I've been to, if you have a two year gap in your visits, there are new machines all over. Not the case here. Still all the same old machines from years ago...boring.

We are minimal betters, playing around .40 - $1.00 per spin on penny slot machines. And these machines by FAR are the tightest machines I have EVER played in my entire gambling career. My husband and I spent a good deal of money here, as gambling was to be the majority of our entertainment. Over the corse of our two day stay, I only built up a whopping $7 in free play. Ridiculous. I cashed out $90 one time...and that was the only time I cashed out a voucher....these have got to be the tightest, oldest and worst machines I've ever played. Gambling was HORRIBLE.

The drinks are ridiculously overpriced...it costs $6 for a TINY gin and tonic. And the staff at the bar is slow and acts inconvenienced. Also, maybe a state law, (but annoying either way) you can only carry away one drink at a time. Don't count on sending anyone to get a drink for the two of you...they won't let you carry two. Also there is a 20 minue limit between drink orders. Lame.

The buffet was very expensive, $16.99 for dinner on Sunday evening. My grandma, who came with us, didn't get a senior discount because they don't offer that on Sundays. So you technically are only a senior M-Sat....? Food wasn't great, and the lady that charged us and was our first impression at the buffet was RUDE and obviously disgruntled....bad experience.

Overall, if you are a gambler, this casino is not for you. If you aren't a gambler, this casino is not for you. If you are passing through, keep going until you hit something else. We didn't enjoy this 'resort', will NEVER be back, and definitely won't recommend it to anyone! Save your money....

• Stayed July 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We wanted to go to this hotel/casino because there was an REO Speedwagon concert being held outside on their property. We took our camper but found out when we got there that all of the spots had been reserved. However, one of the security guys led us to a grassy area right next to the camper spaces and said we could park there for free since we had a generator and did not need electric. (ended up to our advantage---about 1/3 of the 'reserved spots' never were occupied the 2 days we were there)
It was a perfect spot. We literally just had to walk down a small hill to the concert and the hotel. We gambled in the casino after the concert and had great luck! The facility is beautiful and they are in the middle of constructing an 18 hole golf course. We ate at the cafe for dinner---good and inexpensive then ate at the buffet the next morning for breakfast. The nice thing about that is that you take your breakfast receipt to the Guest Services desk (where you can receive a players card) and show the receipt and they give you $5 slot play.
By the way, there are several entrances into the hotel without walking through the casino on the west and east sides of the building. We never used the front entrance.
We will definitely come back even though it is a 3 hour drive---it is well worth it. Customer service was wonderful and the facility has a very nice 'Vegas' feel to it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gretna, ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family stayed here for a wedding reception. Room was very clean and modern....and expensive! We didnt use the casino or any of the restaurants. The wedding reception was very nice...food good...nice dance floor and layout. It would be nice if there was a separate entrance for just the hotel part. It felt strange to walk through the casino with 3 kids and luggage in tow. I thought for sure there would be a separate entance in the back for those of us not wanting to access the casino, but that was not the case. The pool is very nice. It was too cold to use the outside pool but it looked really nice. Indoor was also nice..again very modern and clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!