“Needs work on real management and design” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larchwood
Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort
You added Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort to your Saves list
1415 Grand Falls Blvd., Larchwood, IA 51241   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larchwood
Olympia, Washington
“Needs work on real management and design”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The rooms are just OK.
The soap in shower makes you feel as though your oily and the oil is not removable no matter how much you try to rinse it off.
The shampoo is scented rosemary- great for women perhaps but not all.

There is no venting of shower available thus all is steamed up and grooming via mirror not possible. -Talked to front desk about this and requested that the Manager be notified and instead was told that they will let maintenance know. Makes one wonder what information is actually being given to management.

Towels felt like stiff cardboard.
Coffee in room Kona blend only, which is not a preference of mine.
Only has a one-sided elevator thus quite a long walk to your room if you are placed in a room at the end of the corridor not near the elevator. Very poor design for disabled persons.

Attempted buffet for breakfast and found that there are not enough people to either seat you (which is apparently a requirement) or let you seat yourself. -This also caused others in line to wait to pay and be seated, time consuming and somewhat frustrating for those who may have a tight schedule especially in the morning.

The napkins had a fork and butter knife yet no spoon for coffee, when I requested one the person who seats you, who also doubled as a room server, table clearer, and coffee runner, said some spoons should be on the serving line but would get me one.
However, this person was also cleaning up tables and passed by twice without the spoon promised. I went to look for one myself and found soup spoon were the only type of spoons available.

The cook who was making omelets on the grill was quite busy as I wanted to get some bread, which was gone from the bread dispenser, to perform the self-toasting. Thus, I could not ask the obviously too busy cook and as mentioned above I already had one request forgotten (coffee spoon) by the room person/server.

The room person /server/bus person was running all the way to the back to get coffee from who knows where. I think placing an coffee urn out for self-service would had done nicely instead.

There were home fries available though they had either bologna or sausage in them and I did not appreciate that and would prefer to have home fries without them included.

The fruit was a mix of melons that I found had the hard rind included and was tough to chew.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I saw a coupon for matching any other casino coupon and a coupon for 2 free buffets. I had a two consecutive night stay coupon for another casino, so we made a reservation. I read the reviews, and was a bit skeptical. Here is what I would tell people. This casino resort is VERY nice. The casino is clean, smells great, and has a very nice layout. As far as payouts go, many people complained in the prior reviews. I would tell them that I did play a lot, and found the bonuses to be almost nonexistent, or with a very poor payout. I did not see very many winners, but hey.... it is a casino. There are a few machines I found that DO pay out, so there are some there that pay out consistently. The hotel rooms are VERY nice. The bedding is so comfortable, the pillows are wonderful. Internet is NOT free, so that is something that I did not appreciate. I also did not appreciate bottled water in the room at $3.00 each. We did not eat at Ruthie's, which is their expensive restaurant. We did eat twice at the buffet, and it was quite adequate. the choices were not many, but what was offered was very tasty for dinner. I was not impressed with the breakfast buffet, however. The potatoes need a complete overhaul... they were awful, and the eggs were too. The sausage gravy was very good, however. The customer service is adequate, not too friendly, but not dismissive either. The pool area is amazing, with cabanas, lounge chairs, high top tables and chairs, and a very nice pool area.... that even has a lifeguard. Some rooms have balconies overlooking the pool, and at night there are two large pots that have fire burning. It is a very nice outdoor pool area, and the indoor pool area has a place where you can swim outside and then swim back inside. These amenities were WELL worth the two free nights. The grounds are well maintained, and lovely. Sioux Falls is not far away, and if you are looking for a great free afternoon, go to the Falls park, and walk into town along the river. Once into town, there are sculptures on display, in a very cute part of town. there is a trolley that is free that you can take back if you get tired of walking. This was a nice getaway, and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I were looking for a place to have a small stay-cation that was not hours away. There are casinos closer to home, but we chose to take a little trip. Bad decision....

Upon arrival, the hotel is very nice and everything appears to be new and clean. We found the staff in general to be friendly and helpful. The valet were the friendliest of the staff from our experience.

The rooms are very nice and also seem to be clean, and are spacious! We had a corner queen suite with a balcony, and that didn't disappoint.

Now, for the gripes...

We travelled over 4 hours to come here, and had we not received coupons in the mail the rooms would've cost us nearly $350 for two night. For a casino, that is ridiculous! I was able to get them to comp me for the 'upgrade fee' which was helpful, however I still feel the rooms are GREATLY OVERPRICED when they know you'll be staying there and playing their machines.

If you are under 75, expect to get carded roughly 300 times during your stay. This casino really should offer wristbands, as every time you leave the gaming floor to go to your room, the gift shop, a restaurant or anything you WILL be carded. And the staff doing that job is rude and treats you like you're a criminal trying to pull one over. SUPER annoying.

We had been to this casino a few years ago, just stopped in for a couple hours and had an alright time. Upon arriving this time, they had the same exact machines they did last time. At other casinos I've been to, if you have a two year gap in your visits, there are new machines all over. Not the case here. Still all the same old machines from years ago...boring.

We are minimal betters, playing around .40 - $1.00 per spin on penny slot machines. And these machines by FAR are the tightest machines I have EVER played in my entire gambling career. My husband and I spent a good deal of money here, as gambling was to be the majority of our entertainment. Over the corse of our two day stay, I only built up a whopping $7 in free play. Ridiculous. I cashed out $90 one time...and that was the only time I cashed out a voucher....these have got to be the tightest, oldest and worst machines I've ever played. Gambling was HORRIBLE.

The drinks are ridiculously overpriced...it costs $6 for a TINY gin and tonic. And the staff at the bar is slow and acts inconvenienced. Also, maybe a state law, (but annoying either way) you can only carry away one drink at a time. Don't count on sending anyone to get a drink for the two of you...they won't let you carry two. Also there is a 20 minue limit between drink orders. Lame.

The buffet was very expensive, $16.99 for dinner on Sunday evening. My grandma, who came with us, didn't get a senior discount because they don't offer that on Sundays. So you technically are only a senior M-Sat....? Food wasn't great, and the lady that charged us and was our first impression at the buffet was RUDE and obviously disgruntled....bad experience.

Overall, if you are a gambler, this casino is not for you. If you aren't a gambler, this casino is not for you. If you are passing through, keep going until you hit something else. We didn't enjoy this 'resort', will NEVER be back, and definitely won't recommend it to anyone! Save your money....

• Stayed July 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We wanted to go to this hotel/casino because there was an REO Speedwagon concert being held outside on their property. We took our camper but found out when we got there that all of the spots had been reserved. However, one of the security guys led us to a grassy area right next to the camper spaces and said we could park there for free since we had a generator and did not need electric. (ended up to our advantage---about 1/3 of the 'reserved spots' never were occupied the 2 days we were there)
It was a perfect spot. We literally just had to walk down a small hill to the concert and the hotel. We gambled in the casino after the concert and had great luck! The facility is beautiful and they are in the middle of constructing an 18 hole golf course. We ate at the cafe for dinner---good and inexpensive then ate at the buffet the next morning for breakfast. The nice thing about that is that you take your breakfast receipt to the Guest Services desk (where you can receive a players card) and show the receipt and they give you $5 slot play.
By the way, there are several entrances into the hotel without walking through the casino on the west and east sides of the building. We never used the front entrance.
We will definitely come back even though it is a 3 hour drive---it is well worth it. Customer service was wonderful and the facility has a very nice 'Vegas' feel to it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gretna, ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family stayed here for a wedding reception. Room was very clean and modern....and expensive! We didnt use the casino or any of the restaurants. The wedding reception was very nice...food good...nice dance floor and layout. It would be nice if there was a separate entrance for just the hotel part. It felt strange to walk through the casino with 3 kids and luggage in tow. I thought for sure there would be a separate entance in the back for those of us not wanting to access the casino, but that was not the case. The pool is very nice. It was too cold to use the outside pool but it looked really nice. Indoor was also nice..again very modern and clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Canton, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Been there many times since there opening and never had a problem. Last morning I was told I was too f-d up to be on the gaming floor. I called some friends but at 6am they were all sleeping so I was told I can stay in a room for $300 or get a taxi to Sioux Falls for $45. Problem was I only had $25 left and I forgot about the 20 or 30 I left on the table. So I asked if I could sleep in my car to which Micheal Ludwigs replied no I would be arrested, asked if I could walk to Sioux Falls to which he replied no if I even left the casino I would be arrested... Hmmmm so I asked him what other options I had he said it sounds like your going to arrested. Took my chances and got arrested in the parking lot. Never knew people could be arrested for not having enough money on them. I will now by boycotting this casino and plan to set up protests so people know what to expect. Go to Flandreu casino good payouts, friendly staff, and you can drink your hearts desire. I'm also hoping to take the casino to small claims court for entrapment. I'm a law-abiding citizen turned bad by Grand Falls Casino Resort

Room Tip: Ya don't stay in Nazi Germany
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Spirit Lake, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Planned a trip to the casino /hotel with my wife. We enjoy gaming and planned to use the pool and catch some sun. The room was nice. Not sure I understand the clear glass between bathroom and main room but what ever. I guess that that's modern architecture to be able to see in/ out of the bathroom. Internet charge $10? Serious? Had a nice sandwich at the Big Drop cafe. Ate there cuz the evening buffet was $17 which we felt was too pricey. Enjoyed the gaming. Lost a little but that's why they call it gambling.... Spent a couple hours at the pool. Very nice and comfortable. Went to check out the next AM and was billed $140 for a room I was quoted $85 for over the phone. The checkout attendant told me that the $140 was the lowest Friday night rate. That sure could be true but I was quoted a friday rate of $85 and a saturday rate of $140. We actually were going to stay 2 nights but changed to 1 night when i got that quote. We would not have stayed had I known that we were being charged the $140. So I walked out of there feeling that I had been seriously misled by the gal that quoted me the lower price. Needless to say there's plenty of other places to gamble..

Room Tip: Be careful about over the phone room quotes. I was misled..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Larchwood
Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites
Super 8 Luverne
Super 8 Luverne
#4 of 6 in Luverne
3.0 of 5 stars 81 reviews

Been to Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!