“Arrested for not having enough money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larchwood
Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort
Save Saved
You added Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort to your Saves list
1415 Grand Falls Blvd., Larchwood, IA 51241   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larchwood
Canton, South Dakota
“Arrested for not having enough money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Been there many times since there opening and never had a problem. Last morning I was told I was too f-d up to be on the gaming floor. I called some friends but at 6am they were all sleeping so I was told I can stay in a room for $300 or get a taxi to Sioux Falls for $45. Problem was I only had $25 left and I forgot about the 20 or 30 I left on the table. So I asked if I could sleep in my car to which Micheal Ludwigs replied no I would be arrested, asked if I could walk to Sioux Falls to which he replied no if I even left the casino I would be arrested... Hmmmm so I asked him what other options I had he said it sounds like your going to arrested. Took my chances and got arrested in the parking lot. Never knew people could be arrested for not having enough money on them. I will now by boycotting this casino and plan to set up protests so people know what to expect. Go to Flandreu casino good payouts, friendly staff, and you can drink your hearts desire. I'm also hoping to take the casino to small claims court for entrapment. I'm a law-abiding citizen turned bad by Grand Falls Casino Resort

Room Tip: Ya don't stay in Nazi Germany
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Spirit Lake, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Planned a trip to the casino /hotel with my wife. We enjoy gaming and planned to use the pool and catch some sun. The room was nice. Not sure I understand the clear glass between bathroom and main room but what ever. I guess that that's modern architecture to be able to see in/ out of the bathroom. Internet charge $10? Serious? Had a nice sandwich at the Big Drop cafe. Ate there cuz the evening buffet was $17 which we felt was too pricey. Enjoyed the gaming. Lost a little but that's why they call it gambling.... Spent a couple hours at the pool. Very nice and comfortable. Went to check out the next AM and was billed $140 for a room I was quoted $85 for over the phone. The checkout attendant told me that the $140 was the lowest Friday night rate. That sure could be true but I was quoted a friday rate of $85 and a saturday rate of $140. We actually were going to stay 2 nights but changed to 1 night when i got that quote. We would not have stayed had I known that we were being charged the $140. So I walked out of there feeling that I had been seriously misled by the gal that quoted me the lower price. Needless to say there's plenty of other places to gamble..

Room Tip: Be careful about over the phone room quotes. I was misled..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Larchwood hotels

Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Wow oh wow, we stayed here to break up our drive on vacation, and boy was it a great idea. The rooms here were AMAZING-very clean and very modern. The shower in the bathroom was to die for, and they offered Aveda products in the rooms. The King Suite had its own balcony with a view of a waterfall and lake. The bed was wonderful to sleep in. The rooms are spacious, and have granite throughout. I felt like a princess there. The pools (both indoor and out) were beautiful, and the hot tub was actually good and hot. The outside pool area had cabanas and the inside pool area offered very comfy chairs as well. In addition, the indoor pool and hot tub both stayed open until midnight, which was nice for the teens we were traveling with. The cafe in the hotel offered reasonable food, even late at night, and it was very good. The casino was a lot of fun, and the staff here were all very nice. They are in the process of putting in a golf course, but I never once heard any noise from construction. This hotel has various shops and I wish I had had the opportunity to visit the spa, as it looked amazing.

Room Tip: We had a King Suite, and there is not one thing I could complain about with it. AMAZING!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GFCR, Joel Twedt Front Office Manager at Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit wtih us! It is our goal to provide the type of guest service expectations that you experienced and we are happy to hear that we have exceeded your expectations. We designed our rooms with a modern feel in hopes that they would have that "WOW" factor when guests stay with us as well as our balcony rooms with the spectacular views overlooking the outdoor pool and waterfall area. I wish you would have had the time to enjoy The Spa at Grand Falls while you were here as it is an Aveda Concept Salon and Spa as well. If you do get a chance to come back this summer we are also offering poolside pedicures again this year and for the first time cabana massages. If you don't make it back this year be sure and visit us next summer as we hope to have our 18-hole Rees Jones designed golf course open late summer, early fall of 2014. Please feel free to contact me directly for any additional feedback and thank you again for taking the time to provide us with this feedback.
Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

20 miles from Sioux Falls SD. No shuttle from there, 42 dollar cab ride, poor customer service at rewards booth. No valet after midnight, and super tight slots. Nice buffet, half casino was smoking/ half non. Mixed all together.

Room Tip: tight slots, nice rooms, no shuttle ,no valet. poor service.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sioux City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We live 100 miles away and go to Grand Falls for an overnight get away. We like the rooms and pool and often find special pricing available. The Casino is a couple of years old now - about 40 % of the space is non-smoiking which is a wonderful break compared to other Iowa based casinos. The hotel is not laid out very convenient to the parking so it is a bit of a challenge to those who have difficulty in walking any distance. We did not notice it but friends who traveled with us complained a lot.

Room Tip: Ask for pool facing rooms for a better view and close to the elevator to shorten the walk.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

There was 6 of us guys from out of town that wanted to go gamble after a long day on the golf course so we paid for 3 hotel rooms, went to the steak house there and spent about $300 for an overpriced supper and when we were done eating walked across the hall to get ready for a long, fun night of gambling and two of the guys in our party were not allowed into the casino area because the idiot security guy felt they had too much to drink to be able to gamble in their casino. By the way, we all had two drinks at supper over the course of 1 hour and 15 minutes in the steak house. It was very disappointing to find this out after spending that much money on 3 hotel rooms and an overpriced meal to not be able to gamble in their casino which is why we went there in the first place. They did not check us in any way as to the amount of alcohol we had but instead just made a personal judgement call without any factual evidence as to how much alcohol we supposedly had consumed. I asked the idiot security guy named David as well as the very young manager if either of them had any experience in testing for too much alcohol content and they both said that they did not. We asked if they had anything to test us as to how much alcohol we had in us and they also said they did not. It was solely based on a judgement call. After we finally got nowhere with them we asked for our money back for our hotel rooms. They would not give us our money back for the rooms even though we just checked in right before we went down to eat. I will NEVER go back or NEVER recommend this overpriced place to go. Even though it was May they still didn't even have any water in the outdoor pool and they employees were not a friendly staff...Overpriced and Overrated!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GFCR, Scott Knutson Director of Security at Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Grand Falls Casino Resort. The Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission regulates the casino in many areas, one of the strictest is that the casino may not permit persons who are “showing signs of Intoxication” or who are intoxicated to enter or remain upon the gaming floor. This regulation is strictly enforced upon the casinos in the State of Iowa by the IRGC and we are susceptible to heavy fines and administrative actions for violating it.

The security staff are all trained and certified in signs and symptoms of what “Visible Intoxication” are through a state and federally recognized program known as TIPS. In this particular case two gentleman from your group fit that description which required the officer to prevent them from entering the casino floor while the rest of your group were allowed access. The casino is not allowed to provide a guest with a Breath Test or any other form of Blood Alcohol Concentration testing so our staff must make judgment calls like this every day based on what they are observing.

I do apologize to you if you do not agree with what occurred however, all our policies and procedures were followed to ensure we adhered to the IRGC rules and regulations governing this particular matter. Regarding the outdoor pool we did have an extremely cold and long winter and had just had snow a few days prior to your arrival. We do have to average a certain temperature outside to open the pool back up and unfortunately at the time of your visit we had not reached that yet. We do have an indoor pool and indoor/outdoor hot tub that are open year round for your convenience. I sincerely hope that my explanation helped to answer your concerns, please understand that as a casino we would have liked nothing more than for your entire group to have been allowed onto the gaming floor but we simply could not.
Skagway, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Traveled out of the way to this casino/resort on a trip cross country. The first impression was good. Nice clean entranceway. After checking in, our room was very nice and spacious....but the bathroom was not as expected. Sliding door with no lock and a frosted glass window next to the shower adjacent to the main bedroom. Talk about no privacy! Only one poker table was available...it had 10 people playing with 5 more waiting to join. I asked what was the buy-in and the attendant said "I don't know....I'm just filling in for the other guy on a 20 minute break". OK....so I asked why not open another table so we can play.....the response was....you guessed it..."I don't know....I'm just filling in for the other guy". Really??? Also...the $3.99 breakfast was a joke....read the fine print!!! Slots were tight and ....here's the kicker.....they wanted to charge $10.99 PER NIGHT for internet use......REALLY??? You pay through the nose for a room and they want to gouge you for internet! Long story short....we definitely WILL NOT be staying there again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....not worth the 10 miles in the country roads side trip out of the way
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GrandFallsCasinoReso, Front Office Manager at Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent visit to Grand Falls Casino Resort. At Grand Falls Casino Resort we pride ourselves in providing the very best service we can to our guests which is why these reviews are so helpful. We designed the hotel with a very modern/upscale feel which we have found most of our guests do enjoy. I can assure you that your concerns regarding the poker room have been addressed with those individuals to ensure that our staff communicate appropriate and accurate information to all of our guests. I do hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future!

Been to Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!