“Holds its own in an area with few options, but a little pricey” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Lamoni
Cuisines: American
Duluth, MN
“Holds its own in an area with few options, but a little pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

My wife and I stopped at the Maid Rite restaurant adjacent to the Iowa Welcome Center at I-35 and US-69, I-35 Exit 4, in Lamoni, Iowa, back in May, 2009 for breakfast. From previous trips through this area, I know that Lamoni itself is somewhat lacking for meal options, especially for homestyle/family dining and especially as it looked like the former Quilt Country restaurant across US-69 now appears to be closed. My wife and I both had pancakes and orange juice...it came to almost $11 for the two of us, which seemed very high for what is essentially a fast-food place. The menu did not seem to have conisderable variety, and we were even charged extra for syrup packets! It was made up for some in service, though--the girl behind the counter brought our food out to us and, with the place empty except for ourselves and the occasional tourist going into the Welcome Center area, she had time to make conversation with us. One plus--there's a big TV in it, and when we were there they had on the kid's cartoon "Clifford" because the waitress' son was there with her, so they seem accommodating if you have kids. Maid Rite will certainly do in a pinch or if this is absolutely where you need to stop for a meal; next closest options with restaurants close to I-35 would be in Bethany, MO, about 25 miles to the south, or Osceola, IA, about 29 miles to the north. Both Bethany and Osceola have more to choose from and would probably better suit more travelers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Maid Rite? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Maid Rite, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.