“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Buffet
Springville, Iowa
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Tis is a great place to dine!!! When you arrive the staff treats you like a friend,like they are happy to see you!!! The buffet is one of the largest that I have ever seen and the food is well prepared and tastes GREAT!! If you can;t find something you like here then you are just plain picky, Will return here again!!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Springville
“A must stop restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We always stop at Keokuk for lunch on our way to Branson every year and Ogo's is one of the places we always look forward to. This year it looked a little different. They did some remodeling and it looks really nice!! The food was great as always!! I love the stroganoff on the buffet. And the chicken is some of the best chicken I've had! So fresh and hot! Mom loves their fish. When they ran out on the buffet they even came around to all the tables with the freshly cooked fish and gave it to everyone so no one had to go back to the buffet to get it! Now that's service!! Ogo's is a nice little place to visit with very friendly people and really reasonable prices!! If you want a lot of good food for a small price then make sure and stop in!!!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Good buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

We went to Ogo's on our honeymoon. My mom rented us a cabin just outside Keokuk. My husband used to live in Keokuk so he knows all the good places to go. The food was really good. There was a pretty good selection to choose from. One unfortunate thing is that my husband used to live there therefore he knew a couple of the people that worked there so while Im trying to enjoy my meal with my new husband one of the employees was at our table talking up a storm.Im a shy person around people I dont know so I was a little uncomfortable. But if your an out-of-towner you shouldn't have that problem.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lohman
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Our group was in Keokuk to collect geodes. We always eat at Ogo's. We ate there on Friday & Saturday night as we did last year. The owner is very nice and very organized. The staff are friendly and helpful. The food is very good and reasonable. On Saturday night, the frog legs and whole catfish were delicious. There is so much variety that a person could find plenty to eat. The owner even thanks everyone for coming.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Only if you're already obese and have no taste buds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Dear god.

Based on recommendations here and from other online reviews, we figured, "why not?"

We were greeted warmly by the staff - Keokuk is probably one of the friendliest places I've ever visited - and seated promptly: we arrived at 6:45 on a Friday night.

There is a huge buffet. Apparently it's only a buffet. Selections available:

Fried catfish
Fried walleye
Fried carp
Fried chicken
Baked roast beef (seriously!!!!! That's how it was billed on the menu card on the buffet)
Boiled ham (maybe not boiled but floating in water)

On the "veggie" bar:
Green beans (absolutely delicious, but loaded with bacon grease & salt)
Mac-n-cheese (unfortunately not good)
Mashed potatoes (made from powdered)
Gravy (white and brown)
Baked beans (probably canned, but "dressed up" a bit)
Some other stuff

On the potato & taco bar:
Taco shells (stale)
Tortillas
(these are ON TOP of the bar, not easily found)
Baked potatoes wrapped in foil
Taco meat (actually quite good)
Taco toppings (sour cream, salsa, cheese, lettuce, red onion, tomatoes)
Potato toppings (butter, chives)

Then there was the cold bar:
Pasta salads (4 or 5 types)
Cottage cheese
Pickles
Cucumbers
Olives
Ham bits
More cheese
Peppers

And not to be overlooked:

The dessert bar!
Bread pudding
Lemon meringue pie
Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie
Some fruit-laden things

It was more food than I've ever seen in any one place at any given time. It was overwhelming in volume but sadly underwhelming in quality. The fish was dry and tough - had to use a knife to cut it, the mac-n-cheese was borderline vile, and the taco salad I made was not at all enhanced by the stale taco shell.

I didn't get dessert, but I noticed all the other patrons loading up on pie with whipped cream, bread pudding, etc.

Honestly, go to Wendy's or Sonic, both of which are nearby, if you want food that tastes OK. You'll be better off.

• Visited April 2012