The staff here is exceedingly friendly and the place is spotless. That counts for a lot. But compared to other TownPlace properties, the room was tiny.
Had a king with a sofabed. Packed into the living area of the room was an ottoman (so you can do your best Dick Van Dyke impersonation) and a desk. All very useful, but requiring a larger space. I never opened the sofabed, but if I did it would have cut off access to part of the room.
The bed and pillows were far too soft, while the couch was uncomfortable to sit on. Also, I could never get a comfortable temperature with the thermostat. Despite being on auto, if you set the heat too high it would keep running and never shut off. If you set it too low it would run for a time and rarely come back on.
The full kitchen (crammed into an area by the door) was nice to have, and there was a good selection of TV channels. Free wireless Internet worked fine, and this hotel actually has a sufficient number of outlets in easy-to-reach places. Didn't use it, but saw a guest laundry with several washers and dryers.
Breakfast has the usual cereal/yogurt/toast, though in keeping with TownPlace policy, fewer selections than many other chains. But the make-your-own waffle crowd will be pleased.
One side of the hotel has the Interstate. I stayed on the parking lot side, where the smokers congregate and yak on their cell phones. So you can take your pick on which type of noise you want.
Location is very easy on/off I-80. A few restaurants you could walk to, but if you're staying here you have a car. About 5 minutes south on 86th St., at the corner of Douglas Ave., is a new Hy-Vee supermarket with a large selection of fully prepared hot and cold foods that you can eat there or bring back to the room. I did this one night and it was not only very good but also very cheap.
Overall, I wouldn't be adverse to staying here again, but I'd look at other options.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott is an extended-stay hotel where you can balance work and life as you like, with the comfort, flexibility and affordability you require. Relax and feel at home with a fully equipped kitchen including full size refrigerator, microwave, cooktop, dishwasher and full complement of cookware, dishes and flatware; large work space, and complimentary wired and wireless high-speed internet access. Complimentary Continental Breakfast Daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Marriott, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Tingo and Hotels.com so you can book your TownPlace Suites Des Moines Urbandale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Townplace Suites Urbandale Hotel Johnston
- Towneplace Suites Johnston