“OK, Could be Better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Johnston
VA
“OK, Could be Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The staff here is exceedingly friendly and the place is spotless. That counts for a lot. But compared to other TownPlace properties, the room was tiny.

Had a king with a sofabed. Packed into the living area of the room was an ottoman (so you can do your best Dick Van Dyke impersonation) and a desk. All very useful, but requiring a larger space. I never opened the sofabed, but if I did it would have cut off access to part of the room.

The bed and pillows were far too soft, while the couch was uncomfortable to sit on. Also, I could never get a comfortable temperature with the thermostat. Despite being on auto, if you set the heat too high it would keep running and never shut off. If you set it too low it would run for a time and rarely come back on.

The full kitchen (crammed into an area by the door) was nice to have, and there was a good selection of TV channels. Free wireless Internet worked fine, and this hotel actually has a sufficient number of outlets in easy-to-reach places. Didn't use it, but saw a guest laundry with several washers and dryers.

Breakfast has the usual cereal/yogurt/toast, though in keeping with TownPlace policy, fewer selections than many other chains. But the make-your-own waffle crowd will be pleased.

One side of the hotel has the Interstate. I stayed on the parking lot side, where the smokers congregate and yak on their cell phones. So you can take your pick on which type of noise you want.

Location is very easy on/off I-80. A few restaurants you could walk to, but if you're staying here you have a car. About 5 minutes south on 86th St., at the corner of Douglas Ave., is a new Hy-Vee supermarket with a large selection of fully prepared hot and cold foods that you can eat there or bring back to the room. I did this one night and it was not only very good but also very cheap.

Overall, I wouldn't be adverse to staying here again, but I'd look at other options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Philadelphia area, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

King bed, couch and good work space - all looked new. Small bathroom had closet that opened from the bathroom as well as from the entry area - so easy to access hangers, suitcase, from inside or outside the bathroom. Typical high carb breakfast buffet with nice banana nut muffins. Room cleaned well every day.

Room Tip: second floor on the end so easy to take the stairs to outside door rather than go through lobby.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Had a group of five so chose this hotel. Our room had two separate bedrooms plus a fold out couch. At check in, the front desk person was very friendly / professional. The rooms are not huge but are very efficiently organized, clean, and comfortable. Our room was quiet and the beds very comfortable. The shower and toilet are in a separate room from the sink, making it more efficient to get ready in the morning. The free breakfast is very basic but sufficient. There are numerous restaurant choices nearby, including a Starbucks. As far as location, it is right on I-35, about 10 minutes north of Jordan Creek mall. The price was reasonable. I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, no problem with any noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
OPKS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

First off, this is not a 5-star hotel, but for what it is - a basic services place to stay while in the area for other reasons, this place can't be beat. When we arrived I saw a Volleyball team awaiting check in. We were delayed by the volume of check-ins, but the desk guy immediately directed us to a place to sit and provided an estimate on when we could check in. He beat his estimate, came to get us. Bad situation avoided by handling it like a professional. Then I feared noise from the team, he told me we were on the same floor but he could change it. The coach assured me she 'would have them running the parking lot' if they were up past 10:30PM. I owe her an apology, we never heard a thing despite staying in the original room. Says something about the team and the hotel. Breakfast is minimal - and exactly as advertised. Plenty of everything though, even though we followed the team the next morning. My wife had satyed here last month and experienced the same good customer service. This place knows what it is and delivers.

Room Tip: We stayed on the side away from the interstate, not sure how the noise would be on the other side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We returned here because of previous visits and the value for the room size, however the sprinklers go off at 6:15 am and hit the bedroom windows about every 20 seconds, making sleep impossible. Cannot believe we would be the first to notice or complain about this. So avoid first floor if possible. Breakfast are quite limited compared to other hotels of this size. Kitchenettes are nice, dinnerware a plus and full sized fridge is a bonus. TVs in every room, but bathroom quite small.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
La Crosse, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot for work and am shocked at how nice this marriott townsuites was!! Full kitchen, huge closets, lots of work area space, comfy beds, at least a 42" tv, large bathroom and very clean! A+++

• Stayed September 2012
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as an alternate to the Embassey Suites in Des Moines. This was a much different experience....it was surprisingly very good. The rooms have a kitchenette in them that was great....since we travel with a toddler we always need to have a refrigerator in our room. It was great to have the stove and microwave to make a meal on the fly as well.

The most OUTSTANDING thing.....these are some real HONEST folks. I left in a rush and forgot a number of my things in the drawer of the dresser. Yes, diamond earrings and a Rolex watch that has a lot of sentimental meaning to me. I thought when I left the hotel that I would never see any of these items again!

When I called the front desk was great! They fedex-ed my belongings to me free of charge and actually wrote me a note thanking me for my stay! My boyfriend thought everything was gone and I should call the insurance company immediately...(he's a police officer and said even good people much of the time wouldn't return that or report something like that to lost and found).

Thank you Towne Suites!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to TownPlace Suites Des Moines Urbandale? Share your experiences!