“A fine hotel on vibrant pedestrian mall near University of Iowa.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Minneapolis, MN
“A fine hotel on vibrant pedestrian mall near University of Iowa.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

I've enjoyed two recent, extended stays at this fine hotel in Iowa City - the first before, and the second after, their substantial remodel (2008 and 2010). Although I preferred the pre-remodel "Morgan's Bar" to the now more contemporary offering, I really have nothing else but good things to say about both experiences. I found the Sheraton exceptionally clean and comfortable, and encountered refreshingly polite and helpful employees. The Sheraton Iowa City is uniquely connected to a pedestrian mall with everything from a playground for kids and grocery store, to bars, restaurants, and shops. To those of you seeking solitude on a budget, the Sheraton is probably not the place; however, if you prefer more upscale lodging and would enjoy immediate walking access to a vibrant little neighborhood near a Big Ten campus, it's great! Parking fee is reasonable with stay and convenient in an adjacent ramp; second floor pool area is expansive with abundant seating and a large deck overlooking the mall; exercise facility looked impressive; I trust the TV glitches have been corrected. Whether you're in Iowa City visiting your student, attending a game, on business, meeting friends/family, or just passing through, you'd enjoy the Sheraton and the fine people of Iowa!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We arrived late Thursday night. I told the front desk that I have two small children. We got a room with a king size bed. Since it was for one night, I didn't care. On the positive note, I needed milk for my kids and the front desk told me to go to the restaurant at the hotel for milk. They didn't charge me. That was nice. The location is somewhat interesting. If you don't mind the college setting and the festive noise at night, this might be a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2010
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

I stayed at the Sheraton while visiting the University of Iowa, and I loved it.

Pros:
- Beautiful rooms - fluffy beds, nice Iowa art, clean, nice looking accessories, cozy but modern feel
- Excellent service - bell staff and desk staff were fantastic
- Great location
- Nice view of the pedestrian mall
- Within walking distance to dozens of bars and restaurants and the university
- Breakfast in the ninth floor lounge was delicious

Cons:
- I could hear some noise from students in the ped mall late at night (not enough to keep me awake on the ninth floor).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Syracuse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

I stayed this december when college was *not* in session, so I cannot speak for the previous reviews about noise. I thought the hotel room was quite nice, and the services were nice. I would def. stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Media, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Nice room. Restaurant new called Share excellant food service. Nice location can walk to shops and the best coffee shop is across the street

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
IA City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

My plane arrived in Iowa city at 10.00 PM and we got to the hotel at 10.30 PM, called room service to order food at 10.45 PM. We got a curt " sorry we are closed for food orders". Luckily for us there were many food places nearby open late.
My advice is that if you arrive in Iowa city late and you plan to stay at the Sheraton, bring your own bagged dinner. Otherwise your stomach will gramble all night long.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Ames, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I first stayed at this hotel back in 1995, when it was a Holiday Inn. I was very cautious
about staying here now because of the bad reviews I kept reading. But I was attending a conference at the hotel (actually it's sister hotel a few doors away), and so I decided to
at least try it again.

I was most pleasantly surprised by how improved this hotel is. I and my wife stayed in a room on the 8th floor (south side) that was renovated. Everything from the shower curtain to the carpeting seemed bright and new.

There was still some renovations continuing around the lobby area, but the staff made up for that by giving us free buffet breakfast passes, and the buffet was excellent (with
bacon, eggs, potatos, toast, bagels, and other goodies).

The staff was helpful and we had no trouble when we arrived early. There was no noisy guests or any sort of trouble throughout our weekend stay.

One of the best features of this hotel is the location. It is near a pedestrian mall full of life and things to do. The parking ramp was really not a problem.

I understand that our experience may be different in other seasons or if there are unruly
guests, but that goes for almost any hotel.

Otherwise, I would stay here again because, with the renovations, I found it better than ever.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Iowa City Hotel? Share your experiences!