“excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brown Street Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Iowa City
Brown Street Inn
You added Brown Street Inn to your Saves list
430 Brown Street, Iowa City, IA 52245   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Iowa City B&B and Inns
Gourock, United Kingdom
“excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice - Mark and Bob are very welcoming, and we felt completely at home. Comfortable surroundings and a delicious breakfast each morning with so many choices - fresh fruit, cereals, different types of home made bread, croissants, home made muffins, hard boiled eggs... Coffee, tea and cookies available at any time, with a microwave available on the landing outside our room, and a fridge inside the room - they really thought of everything to make the visitor welcome! Many thanks for an enjoyable stay - I highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

It's so good to be able to report only nice things about a place we visited on vacation.
We have stayed at the Brown St Inn, Iowa City, four or five times throughout the last few years and it has never disappointed us. It just gets better and better and, frankly, it is the only place we would consider staying at when visiting this city.

Mark and Bob are the two helpful Innkeepers in this graceful and beautifully furnished mansion which has lovely antiques and comfortable furniture

The breakfasts cater for even the most demanding of visitors eg my husband! We look forward to them overnight! The home baking done by Mark is utterly delicious.

Every possible comfort is provided and we love the location of the Inn which allows us to wallk everywhere we need to go. We'll be back there at the first opportunity.

roro24

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite at the top of the house which has a little kitchenette and extra space for ou...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wichita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Brown Street Inn and Mark was so kind and welcoming. The room was very comfortable and cozy and the remainder of the home was lovely also. I would recommend this B&B to anyone who wants a wonderful experience. Dan and Linda F

Room Tip: The top floor suite was wonderful
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This place is within easy walking distance of downtown and the University. The place is very pleasant without a lot of the clutter that many B&Bs have. It is extremely well run by Mark, who is very pleasant and accomodating. It was the only place where I got a proper pot of tea!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed for three nights at the Brown Street Inn and I was very pleased with the warm welcoming, the wonderful breakfast every morning and the great support of the inn keeper Mark for my first days in Iowa City.

The rooms (I was in the Yellow room the first night and in the White room for the last two ones) are very nice and cosy, with free wifi, AC, bathroom, refrigerator and TV. The breakfast is different every morning and it is both healthy and very delicious.

I am an exchange student form Frankfurt and I had a problem with the different plug-in for the electronic devices in the US. Mark was very nice to tell where I can buy an adapter for my PC and cell phone. He was also very kind to explain how to get to the main buildings of the University, where I can go shopping, and plenty of other vital information. We had conversations on very different topics and it was always fun to have a chat with him. Mark was very caring and interested in my impressions from the countries I have been to.

I had a wonderful experience at the Brown Street Inn and I recommend it enthusiastically.

Violeta S.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Stockton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our first visit to Iowa City (and Iowa, for that matter). Spent a weekend the first week of August. Three people: two adults, one teen. It was our first B&B experience with a teen and it was very positive! Room was beautiful, and more importantly, very comfortable. Spacious with hard wood floors. Bathroom nice and roomy, too. Closet had a little fridge, which was a nice touch. There is also a TV, which is a deal breaker with my family. Had cable/HBO. Wireless internet access....easy to log right in. Window air conditioner (so hot this summer!) Would have opened windows, had weather been cooler. In hallway, there's access to cold water, as well as cups and glasses. Even a microwave and tea, should you so desire. The main part of the house is simply gorgeous. So nicely decorated. We enjoyed hot breakfast (available weekends) and friendly conversation. Speaking of friendly, innkeepers are both friendly and professional. Made us feel so welcome. Mark gave us maps and directions to places we would like to see in Iowa City. Maybe our son will go to U of I so we can go back soon!

Room Tip: The Red Room had a foldout chair-bed for our teen son.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seguin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

I spent last weekend at this wonderful B&B. It was a beautifully decorated and wonderfully maintained 100-year-old house in a quiet neighborhood. The attention to the guest's comfort and convenience is remarkable. The breakfasts are excellent with hot meals on weekends that are wonderful. I have stayed in B&Bs all over the US and Europe. I have never found a better value. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Brown Street Inn? Share your experiences!