“Dirty!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Iowa City

You added Travelodge Iowa City to your Saves list
Travelodge Iowa City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2216 North Dodge St, I-80,Exit 246, Iowa City, IA 52245-9593   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Iowa City
Dubuque, Iowa
“Dirty!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

The sheets were dirty as were the floors, table, microwave, and fridge. This is by far the nastiest place i have ever stayed. not to mantion the disgusting hot tub. I just stayed there this weekend and I will be shocked if I dont discover some sort of infestation carried home.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Grinnell, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The curtains wouldn't close. No alarm clock. Mold in the bathroom. Matress and pillows had seen better days a long time ago. Toilet flushed by itself every so often. Bad news!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I should have trusted the reviews on TripAdvisor. Instead, I thought, "How bad could it be?" How bad? Let me tell you. I'm cheap, but it's not worth the savings. It smelled moldy. (Thank goodness for my can of Lysol, which came in handy here.) My socks turned black on the bottom walking in the room. They don't trust you with an extra roll of toilet paper or iron/ironing board, so you have to call the front desk to get it. The clerk was new, so she knew nothing about the place. And it's on the outskirts of Iowa City, so nothing is nearby. I've traveled about the country and stayed in hundreds of hotels/motels. It was, by far, the worst place I've ever stayed. There's not even a close second. I'm sticking with La Quinta.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

The room was gross, the mattresses saggy and low to the floor, the areas/rooms outside check-in were filthy, the fridge had a wall of ice in it, the walls looked like they hadn't been painted since 1980. There were mattresses in the hallway, leaned up against the wall. We were on a road trip and by looking at the pictures online thought it was a good deal for the price - WRONG. Don't be fooled. We slept on top of the sheets in street clothes in fear of bedbugs or other 'critters' and left as soon as we could - before sun-up. The next morning the clerk and an employee were discussing how much they hated working there. This was positively the worst hotel/motel we have ever stayed at. Spend a few bucks more or sleep in your car - much better alternatives to staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
jmarie81
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed here two night with friends while on a road trip. No one complained but I wondered if we were all thinking the same thing about this place.....it was very old and looked as though it had not been remolded/had any work done to it in decades. The room smelled bad, but we were in a smoking room, so I think that just comes with the territory. The bathroom was decently clean, but the carpet was questionable (I wouldn't walk on it barefoot).

We called for a roll-away bed before we went out to dinner. When we came back, waiting for us outside the room was a box spring (no mattress), and sheets...laying on the floor !!! Other than that, the service was friendly and helpful.

Bottom line, its an old motel and you get what you pay for. It wasn't unbearably horrible, but I wouldn't choose to stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I reserved 7 rooms 6/10/2011 for a bachelor party. The hotel was perfect for a bachelor party as the condition of the rooms were already a little shoddy. I stayed in room 232 and woke up with about 40 bedbug bites. Noone else got any though. Aside from this, it was a great fit for the party.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Note, that was a review that I had though I had posted when I posted all the other reviews from this vacation. I just noticed that it was not in my review history. We stopped here for a night on our way back from Yellowstone in August 2009. We pulled in late at night needing a place to sleep after the 2nd of 3 long days on the road. Room price was low. My first impression of the room was that it was big and spacious - plenty of room for a family of 4.

When unpacking, we discovered that our main overnight bag was missing (this had all our things we needed for the night in it - toothbrushes, deodorant, contact lens stuff / glasses, etc... along with her wallet and ID). I was able to use the free wireless on my laptop to look up the phone number of place we stayed the night before in Ogallala and called them. They found our bag in the parking lot and we made arrangements for them to mail the contents back to us - see my review of the Super 8 Ogallala. Anyways, I got directions from the night desk clerk to the nearest grocery store so I could buy replacement toiletries. Clerk was more interested in watching his TV program than helping, though he did get me the info I needed.

While I was out at the store, the wife and kids went to the pool. They said the pool area was nice.

Back at the room, we noticed that the TV remote was missing, there were not enough towels/washcloths and pillows. Small things, but after our long day, we were pretty cranky. Call to front desk - 45 min later someone finally came to the room (after midnight by now). Both beds were extremely uncomfortable. The one my wife and I were on was so saggy in the middle, that we literally would roll to each other in the middle. I am not exaggerating to say that the center of the bed (with us in it) sagged 6-9 inches. We had to switch to the other bed (still bad, but not as bad). One of the kids attempted to sleep in the bed we vacated, but eventually gave up - both kids ended up sleeping on the floor.

We did only pay >$40 for the room, so we weren't expecting a 5 star visit, but the poor quality of the beds and very indifferent treatment from the night desk clerk made this night even worse than it had started out to be. The structure of the building has loads of potential. The room was nice and spacious - just need a good, thorough cleaning, minor maintenance, and new beds. We only had interactions with one staff member, but he definitely needed customer service training. Of all the TA reviews I have given, this is only the 2nd poor rating I have ever given ( I was on the verge of giving it a terrible rating - if there was a 1.5 star, I would have done that) - that says alot about my experience here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Travelodge Iowa City? Share your experiences!