“Piu Delizioso!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Old Tappan, New Jersey
“Piu Delizioso!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I would be stunned if "Italian restaurant" was the first thing that popped into your head when someone said Iowa City to you. But our experience at Baroncini will make me do that in the future. It is a tiny storefront establishment, but don't let the size or location fool you - the food is outstanding.

The chef (after whom the restaurant is named) is well-credentialed. His work is exemplary. I had the filetto di manzo con salsa al amarone e mele and the meat was cooked to perfection. It was also a good-sized portion. My companions' meals were equally rewarding. The desserts were great. Not many Italian restaurants serve affogato to begin with and this particular version was excellent. In addition to a very nice wine list there were also Italian beers (Collesi Fiat Lux Ambrata was one) that I have never seen in any other Italian restaurant.

I liked this place so much, I am going back tomorrow night! When in Iowa City, make this a stop on your itinerary.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fort Madison, Iowa
“New favorite Italian restaurant in IC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stopped by on a Monday for lunch. We were seated immediately. The place is small, but didn't feel cramped. We had Fettucini with a Parmasean Cream sauce, the smoked salmon ravioli and pasta ai Frutti (seafood sauce with shrimp, calamari, etc.). They were all excellent! The sauces were not overpowering and had such good flavors. We were all very happy with our dishes. The presentation was quite nice also. We shared a dessert - a chocolate hazelnut cake with ice cream and chocolate sauce. Delicious! We will definitely return the next time we are in Iowa City.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chandler, Arizona
“Quaint little Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

In town on business with colleages. Have been here twice now. Very authentic Italian food. Quaint and intimate. Made reservations and we never had an issue. When I walked in and gave my name, both times they greeted us and sat us down. It is a very small place with less than 20 tables. Can imagine this place gets super busy. Parking can be a nightmare in downtown especially if the college kids are in school. Service was so-so the first time but was excellent on the second time around. The wine list is extensive but when ordering they seemed to be out of a few of them. Food is always excellent with amazing presentation. Salmon is a favorite of my colleagues. I had a spinach and ricotta stuffed raviola the first time and it was excellent. The second time was a whitefish. Also amazing. The bill isn't cheap so don't expect to skate for under $30-$40. Tastefully decorated !

Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It truly is like being in Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

It was our first trip to Iowa City and we decided to dine at Baroncini based on the chef's previous experience at one of our favorite restaurants in DC. And we were not disappointed. The food is wonderful, the service was excellent, the wine list thoughtful and reasonable and the owner is delightful. We liked it so much, we returned the following evening. And before departing, made a reservation for August when we will be returning to Iowa City.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Close Your Eyes and Taste Italy...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

It's been 9 months since I was last in Italy. Dinner at Baroncini took me back to the beautiful Umbrian countryside with an array of amazing, authentic dishes that tasted more like Italy than any other U.S. restaurant where I've ever dined.
Baroncini was culinary perfection. It was so exceptional that the fact that the carpaccio was lightly browned seems petty to even mention. Maybe it was the afterglow of the truffle and mushroom tagliolini that put me in a forgiving mood - a toast to the classic Umbrian dish, strangozzi al tartufo. Chef Baroncini nailed it. For a moment I was sitting on the piazza in Montefalco. All that was missing was a bottle of Sagrantino.
If you are ANYWHERE near Iowa City and you long for genuinely authentic Italian cuisine, find this restaurant. Heck, even if you're 3 hours away in Chicago take a road trip down I-80 and find this place. You will be glad you did!

Visited April 2013