“Royal service for a great price” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Palm Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   115 Welfare Road, Cole Bay 3035, St Maarten-St Martin   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cole Bay
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Royal service for a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The customer service was superior. I had sinusitis and they provided lemons for my tea. My friend had really bad blisters from mosquito bites and they provided her with fresh aloe vera that they had security to cut for her. Their service was beyond my expectations. The resort is clean, we stayed in 8112 and we loved the location. It was right off the lobby and our balcony was less than 10 ft from the pool. The resort was quiet so it is nice for families. The suite was two bedrooms, two full baths, separate full sitting area with pull-out couch, and a complete kitchen with dining set. I was on an all-girl trip and we loved the location. We were in walking distance to the nightlife and we were right across the street from a great outdoor grill. I will be returning in April and I will be staying here. By the way, out of all the Carribean islands, St. Maarten is my favorite.

Room Tip: We stayed in 8112 and we loved the location. It was right off the lobby and our balcony was less th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Traveled Fri 8/23 - Fri 8/30/13 with my mom, 63, and my grandparents, both 81. Good food on site at Cabana beach bar & restaurant. Convenient and close to casinos, restaurants and activities. Staff is very friendly and helpful. I loved Xavie at the front desk and Ram. Accommodations very nice, very comgortable, and the view is beautiful. Rental cars and excursion planners on site. Maintenence came fast to resolve the following issues: A/C not at full capacity, DVD player not hooked up, shower knob loose & leaky. Although beach looks lovely, part of it is super rocky and painful on your feet. Stay towards the left side of the beach which was calm, less rocky and warmer. The resort oddly ran out of beach towels one day so we had to reuse ours, which was a tad bit gross. The 2 for 1 drinks was a nice part of happy hour at the beach bar. Overall a great stay

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

My family of 4 had a great stay at Royal Palm and will def be coming back. We rented a car and it was a great home base.
The 2 bedroom had an amazing view and was super comfy.
The drinks by the pool were awesome.

• Stayed September 2013
King's Lynn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Royal Palm Beach Resort for 2 weeks.The highlight of our stay was the kindness of the Reception Team. The beauty of the island and it's wonderful beaches speak for themselves.
Other than for a minor delay in checking us in ,The Reception Team were faultless in every aspect of customer relations. They were always courteous, helpful and genuinely concerned that our every need was met daily. Special mention of Supervisor Diana, whose generosity knew no limits. Also Jesse and Xavie who helped us type, scan and email a very important letter . Other members of the team always tried to be helpful , for example, in getting our boarding passes printed out. Hostess Monet in the restaurant, was always pleasant and gave good advice on food and travel.
I recommend Diana and her team to be a role model for all Diamond resorts worldwide ! No kidding.We have been around enough resorts to recognise star quality.
The hotel location is ideal, right on the beach. The sea is always calm and perfect for families with children. It's also great for a daily swim and for snorkelling.There are lots of water sports nearby. Restaurants and shops are all within easy walking distance ,and one is spoilt for choice when it comes to food.
We had a three bedroom for 2 adults and 3 children,on the second floor.Location was perfect. We found it adequate.Each bedroom had it's en suite!
We had an unfortunate experience when we visited a beach on the French side. Our car boot was broken into and we lost some of our valuables. The beaches have no visible presence of security ,so it's a playground for thieves. Leave nothing valuable in your car.
We rented a car from David ,at PAYLESS, near to the hotel, just past McDonalds. Genuine guy and good rates.
We visited Flamingo Beach Resort , the sister hotel ,a few times. Not as wide a beach,but more water activities, including two pontoons ,one boat shaped ,for the young swimmers.
All in all , we had a great holiday, thanks to a large extent ,to the Royal treatment we received from Diana and her team at Reception.
Reni

Room Tip: More towards the end of the wings,east and west,as swimming pool and restaurant are in the middle
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Second time in St. Maarten first time at Royal Palm been to several other islands. Booked expedia 1300.00 one week. 2 bedroom (I think they are all oceanview) two adults two teens. Checked in courteous and helpful 20 seconds , very nice clean room but was located a bit too close to pool bar area and we wanted a quieter balcony. I asked at the front desk and the young man had me in a replacement room in about 20 seconds flat and told me to come and see him anytime if I have a problem.

Long story short... almost all ID , 4 passports, one I phone and some cash, clothes were stolen while we were OFF THIS Resort at Mullet bay beach (ten minutes away) while on route to French side to possibly ferry to Anguilla (passports needed). Our rental car door lock was broken into at Mullet Bay Beach while we were snorkelling for an hour at 12 noon, car parked in middle of lot with people everywhere.

ALL staff at this resort regardless of time or shift were all extremely helpful. Without their help I am sure we would have missed our flight home. Endless help with free phone calls, messages, finding numbers, computer use, reassurance and genuine concern from all staff was given to us for the length of our stay. Thank you to all at the Royal Palm. I wish I could remember all your names as you remembered mine as we passed in the hall or parking lot and you asked how I was doing or if I needed anything. Thank you for your genuine concern and help. I would definitely return to your resort and seek the Diamond name in my other travels also.

We lost our items on Tuesday and had emergency travel documents in hand by Saturday in time for sunday flight. Many thanks also to Pierre (Consulate of Canada in Sint. Maarten) and Arlene at High Commission of Canada in Barbados

Emergency travel papers from Canadian Government are not easily obtained while in another country and you cannot fly without them. No you as a Canadian cannot use a police report to board an aircraft destined for Canada or elsewhere or use a copy of a passport or other ID to fly. Travel Papers about 100$ cash per person and about 4- 5 days, Passport photos must be taken at photo shop, Identification must be presented to Canadian Government through your consular (even if your id was stolen), photo copies are sometimes accepted, (I had to get friends to go to my house at home to retrieve and scan and send copies of documents and ID) Anyway, protect your passports at all times. Don't assume there is a system in place that would prevent you from being stuck in a foreign country for weeks , costing you thousands extra. I used to think this.

Don't leave anything in any car that you don't want to lose. Half the cars in St. Maarten have the locks screwdrivered. Look at them when you get a rental car. They are always broken into. The economic turmoil has changed the world including in St. Maarten. Keep your belongings with you and always have one person looking after the items if you are at the beach. Petty thieves are common.

Anyway enough negative, back to the Royal Palm Beach Resort. Very nice beach. A couple of jewelry vendors are allowed on the beach by the resort and a couple ladies that do wonderful massages (so my wife says).

Snorkelling pretty good right out front along rocks, lots of colorful fish and the odd skate.
Fishing, bring your shore/ surf gear. Lots of fishing along rocks on ocean or river side near bridge (comes from the large lagoon) sea bass, snapper, Rays, sharks, and who knows what else . There are some barbecues along beach for grilling your catch.

Rooms, very spacious , well air conditioned, great balcony, huge kitchen, 3 flatscreens, large showers. Small elevators and only two at centre of building so it is a bit of a walk if you are at the end units , but you cant have everything. Sliding doors to balcony enter from master or from living room ( the door are heavy duty framing and are a bit of a chore to open because of weight)
Security, parking gated and manned in off hours. Didn't here of any problems while at resort. They have a security person.

Grounds are kept very nice, always some painting, trimming, cleaning, washing going on in the early morning.

Eats, try Toppers bar (awesome seafood fingerfood) just down the street or Vesna Taverna over bridge short walk (vesna is first place open for miles with coffee and breakfast at 530am primerib awesome)

didn't try the hotel restaurant but heard from the Candy Store owner in Phillipsburg that the all you can eat ribs on sundays are amazing.

Despite what happened to us , you should rent a car for a few days at least and see it all. Alamo over the bridge, short walk 140.00 $ for a few days , including insurance

Room Tip: third floor and up have best ocean view and rooms near centre of building are near pool and bar if y...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Hotel is dated, but comfortable and clean. Hotel staff, semi-friendly,very helpful. Bar and restaurant staff, semi-friendly. Slow in August. Beach is average, setting/ location is very nice and convenient. Airport noise is not a problem. Taxi 282 is great. Do not shop at local market, but to to Phillipsburg (The Fresh Market) and save 30- 50%. Day trip to Pickly Pear, excellent investment. Wave runners, great investment. French side, worth the ride, but pricey. If you rent a car, go small. The setting makes it. Don't expect America.

Room Tip: High room gets great view, 1st floor offers walk-out w/ grille. Airport side (high,end) probably bes...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at RP for 3 nites at the beginning of our stay and then one night at the end. This place is close to the airport, so it's only about a 5 min drive and you are there. We had some problems getting a room - got a noisy one on the first floor before I had to complain twice that we needed a new one. We have 2 kids and we were right outside the pool area. After a little bit of finagling, we got put on the second floor. The rooms both had a king bed - the kitchen area was large, the fridge has a built in ice cube and water dispenser which was nice. The windows open up ALL the way, so you can enjoy the view. Might get buggy though, so I'd watch that. We got bitten a lot on this side of the island, and had more rain here than on the eastern side. The pool itself is kind of small in my estimation and the beach is hard sand. The water is crystal clear and not rough at all. We went to Lee's roadhouse across the street for dinner 2X - we really loved the live music, the food was great, and there are big fish swimming right off the back dock. Careful with little kids though, they can go right over. We also went to pineapple pete's on the last night - ok food and drinks, but a very well run place. More a US standard. Can't miss getting french pastries and a baguette each morning at either Taste factory of Le Sucriere - at Le Suc they were a lot nicer I thought. Oh, and I thought the beds were comfy. The doors in the rooms were weird though, too many of them hitting into the dressers, the beds, it was kind of tight.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!