“Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Harlan
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel is 11 miles off I80 but it was worth finding. There is no mileage sign for Harlan but it is the same exit as Avoca.
Our king suite was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast in the morning is adequate and there were plenty of selections. I would recommend this place to anyone passing through.
The reason I gave a rating of 4 is that the man at the desk at night (7 pm) didn't seem too friendly. I also called about the internet password and he seemed put off that I bothered him as the password was on the key card folder. If he would have told me that when we checked in I wouldn't have called. The young woman in the morning did not even ask how our stay was but told me to have a nice day. Friendliness of the staff is very important to me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We were in Harlan to visit our son and his family. We stayed 5 nights.

Pros: Large room, friendly staff, insert a card to access room, plenty of lighted parking.

Cons: The shower curtain is opaque on the top. It the water hits that part of the curtain it will go through. Breakfast didn't have much variety.

Pro/con: It is on the edge of Harlan but Harlan being Harlan you still aren't far from anything.

They ask for a rating of the restaurant and fitness room. I didn't see a restaurant on the premises. I didn't see a fitness room but then I didn't look for it either.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Terre Haute
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were in town for a wedding on June 7, 2013, I rented 3 rooms and all the rooms were exceptionally clean and well maintained, the staff went out of their way to make accommodations, breakfast was good although I would have rather had scrambled eggs vs hard boiled, just my personal preference. The rooms were very quiet and well kept.
This hotel is located approximately 12 miles off of I-80 on US-59.

Room Tip: If there are 2 people or less in your party spend a few more dollars on a king suite, the larger bed...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently had a family reunion in Harlan and all decided to stay here. We pretty much took over the whole hotel and still had a great experience. There were three two year olds being crazy and we had no complaints from staff. It was very clean and beds were very comfortable. My only complaint is the boring breakfast. Nothing different at all just waffles, cold cereal, bagels and toast. Could use some work. Pool was great but the tile selection around the pool sucked and the kids were always slipping and falling. We mentioned that safety hazard to the management. Overall we had a great stay there.

• Stayed May 2013
Harlan, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

dont get me wrong this is a very nice hotel stayed here many times, I jus recently learned its not a place where you would think its jus as easy and safe to stay in town during a snow storm ,when you have to call the police department and for them to call a tow truck which costed 120.00 to get pulled out of the snow in their driveway into the building cause they dont move snow til the next morning as thats when the maintence person comes in which i was informed .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Mary M, Manager at Settle Inn and Suites, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
I am so sorry for your displeasure with your stay. I will take this into consideration when scheduling the snow plow to see if we can't keep ahead of mother nature next winter! It's tough to do but we will give it our best try! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Have a great summer ~
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Harlan does not offer a lot of choice being a small town.
Visited on business, found the Hotel on line, was pleasantly surprised.
Nice new modern, simple Hotel, just off the interstate.
Very friendly and helpful staff, clean simple comfortable rooms.
Basic breakfast is served (included)
Don't expect a 5 star Hotel in Harlan, IA.
This place has all you need for a good overnight stay, probably the best in Harlan.
Finding a good place for dinner is very limited, I did survive 4 days Harlan with semi fast food,
room for improvement here....
Concerning the Hotel, I will stay there again visiting Harlan, IA.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mary M, General Manager at Settle Inn and Suites, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! Settle Inn & Suites, Harlan is now an award winning hotel with the Boomerang Franchise; we are the proud recipients of the 2012 Innkeeper of the Year, First Impression and Breakfast Presentation awards!

I will certainly pass along your comments, about our dining options, to Shelby County Economic Development.

We appreaciate your visit ~ come again!
Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My only choice was to either stay here or the motel 6 down the road (never again) so I chose the Settle Inn. I was pleasantly surprised. It was just as nice as any Hampton or Fairfield Inn that I usual stay in. The breakfast could use a little more hot choices other than the usual waffle iron and boiled eggs; no complaints though. I am very glad Harlan has such a nice hotel and I will stay here next time I am in town for sure.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for the kind words! I am happy you enjoyed your stay. We do offer biscuits and gravy, now - IF - our occupancy is high enough to justify preparing six pounds of gravy! We look forward to you visiting us again!

Been to Settle Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!