“Absolutely horrible.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grundy Center
Iowa, United States
“Absolutely horrible.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was in town for business at the local hospital. Arrived at 4pm on a Friday expecting to sleep until my shift started at midnight. No luck--kids running up and down the hall screaming. I figured since it was probably a kids birthday party, I let it go. Got off work at noon on Saturday, was up all day listening to kids screaming, blowing whistles and running up and down the halls. Going on 36 hours now with no sleep despite calling the front desk, I am not very happy. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was a problem-free visit and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We were a large group staying here as part of a family event and we were treated very hospitably. Room size was big and the handicap access shower was easy to use. The restaurant next door had above-average food and it was reasonably priced.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was my first stay at an AmericInn and I was very pleased. The dollar value was excellent and the facility was clean with large rooms and friendly staff. In addition there was a restaurant right across he parking lot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

AmericInn does happen to be Grundy Center's only motel, but that's not what makes it the best one! It's the best because it's locally-owned by folks who still care about hospitality and it's staffed by good people who take pride in their work and their property.

The rooms aren't fancy and don't offer much of a view, but they are spacious, clean and quiet. There's plenty of free parking, an awesome (handicap-accessible) pool and hot tub, nightly cookies at the front desk, onsite laundry facilities, and a complimentary breakfast complete with waffles and biscuits and gravy.

There's a restaurant and bar (Johnny Ray's) adjacent to the motel parking lot, and a Dollar Store on the other side, so although the motel is located on the edge of town, it's both convenient and safe.

The Grundy Center AmericInn is a country town treasure... I highly recommended this property!

• Stayed July 2012
Center Point, Iowa, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night. For some reason, I thought this was a new hotel....maybe new to AmericInn, but not a new hotel. Our room one the first floor was recently carpeted, but the bed and pillows were not the greatest. Staff was friendly, breakfast was the usual fare with waffles and sausage gravy.
I would stay here again, but I would ask for more pillows.
The restaurant next door was good and convenient.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Kunkletown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This was my first experience at an AmericInn. We were in Iowa to attended a funeral. This hotel offers a real homey feel with wonderful midwestern hospitality. Certainly a great value per dollar. Compared to where we're from Grundy Center is a real small town but what surprised us most was that this hotel parking lot was filled up every night. Lots of area construction workers and traveling sales people. The only real complaint we had was that housekeeping didn't service our room during our 2 night stay. Yes we were in the room most early mornings. She even greeted us with a warm hello every morning but never asked about the status of our room...too bad she missed the tips we left her! Again we were fine and weren't in the mood to chase her down. Otherwise, an excellent stay and we look forward to staying here again when we come back to visit the folks.

Room Tip: Park Place restaurant right down the road next to the park/waterpark in Grundy Center is AWESOME! Be...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

This hotel was a well maintained, a nice mid-range hotel choice. We were in the area for a family wedding, so it was our best option in terms of location. I have to give the staff kudos for their friendliness and professionalism. There were so many people checking in that day, the front desk clerk was getting worn out. She commented "I'm starting to sound like a broken record today", but otherwise showed no sign that all the inbound traffic was starting to get to her. I also liked the fact that the cleaning staff was comprised of English-speaking locals, instead of foreign-born river swimmers.

One evening my siblings and I were sitting around the lobby talking, when the night clerk came in. She chatted for awhile with the person she was about to replace, then that clerk left. The night clerk then came over to apologize for disturbing us with her "drama". It was very nice of her, especially since we hadn't heard anything she said, or noticed any drama. The only drama of the evening occurred when some of the wedding party came home from the bars, and it took some work to convince one to go to his room. His friends handled it, the staff did not freak out, so we appreciated that.

There is a laundry, and detergent available either at the front desk, or at the Dollar General store next door. The store is open on Sundays. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there is a restaurant/bar across the parking lot.

My only complaint is there was a certain "ick" factor to the carpet in our room. It was definitely ready for a shampoo. Room 109, in case the management is reading this. I doubt I will ever have a reason to go back to Grundy Center, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Americinn.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
gcenteramericinn, Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Grundy Center, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you for the great review - We are always pleased to know that the guests had a good experience at our motel.

Been to AmericInn Hotel & Suites Grundy Center? Share your experiences!