“not happy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Grinnell

You added Super 8 Grinnell to your Saves list
Super 8 Grinnell
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   2111 West Street South, Highway 146 and I-80 Exit 182, Grinnell, IA 50112   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Grinnell
Buffalo
“not happy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

desk personal wasnt very helpfull imformation were the room was what the rate was internet information none didnt ask or offer any discount or if i had AAA AARP CDL only thing clerk said was licene creit card got there at1am left at730am way over price other than that should of slept in my pickup truck

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Raj P, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Grinnell, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I am sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about your check in process. we are under new management now.
Your comments have helped us to improve our guest experience . We hope you consder staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
HOUSTON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

With a little more concern shown by the live-in manager, this could be a better hotel. it is known as the worse hotel in the little town. And not necessarily the cheapest! The same trash stayed in the hallway all weekend and the trashcan smelled horrible! the room had cracks in the walls and the air conditioning units were not professionally installed (based on my observation that no grouting or finishing was done - just stuck the unit in the hole in the wall). I did not mind the 1980s feel of the room (old decor) but the whole place just needed some tender loving care. Pool was not operational. Slamming doors was also a problem late at night and early in the morning. Maybe a little WD40 on the hinges!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Raj P, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Grinnell, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
First of all thank you very much for your recent stay @ super 8 Grinnell.
I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us.We appreciate your feedback and will take prompt action so we may improve for our future guests.
I spoke to housekeeping and maintainance staff to correct the issues about a/c units ,pool area and cleanliness in public area.
Please accept our sincere apologies and again thanks for your feedback.
Cedar Falls, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I always think of Super 8's as being a hit or a miss with their facilities. This is an "older" one, at least twenty years old, and the prices for the weekend were high. It is located right off the interstate system, so it is convenient. Apparently there was a race in Newton (down the interstate) this weekend and all hotels in town were pretty full/sold out. We booked a room at this one for our weekend in town (which was not race related).

I have no problem staying at quaint hotels from the 50s and 60s that have shown wear but are still in good condition and good upkeep. That said, this is NOT a quaint hotel. I actually ran to the store to get air freshner for the room. The sink is in the bedroom area while the bathroom/tub are small room separated by a door. This is GREAT considering the bathroom smelled of mold and dampness. There was a water spot in the ceiling above the shower, as if the shower above had a drain that wasn't sealed properly. We kept spraying the bathroom/shower room and keeping the door closed. We only opened it in order to use those two facilities.

The lobby looks good, the parking lot is nice. There is a small gazebo out front where one could rest on warm summer evenings or have a picnic in the day.

Staff was nice at front desk. Saw cleaning people in hallway, they were nice. We were there for two nights and requested no cleaning in the room.

Bed was a king size that was probably at least 20+ years old. Throughout the night of just sleeping, the mattress moved sideways off the box springs a good six inches. It had little padding and you could feel the springs.

Bathroom towels were thin. I have come to expect fluffy towels, even if they are inexpensive to begin with, in hotels and these were definitely worn. They were clean.

We stayed in a room of similar sorts at a no name hotel in Lincoln Neb, but the room there only cost $50. The fact that this was over $120 a night was disgusting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband, our two daughters, and I were going to the national sprint car races in Knoxville, Iowa and this was the closest hotel room we could find. We had planned to tent camp, but the weather had been record highs and we didn't want heatstroke or uncomfortable, whining kids. So, by the time we tried getting a hotel room, everything was sold out because of the race and also the Iowa State Fair. Grinnell is only about an hour away from Knoxville, so we booked the room at Super 8. I thought I had stayed in dive hotel rooms before in my college years when I had little money when traveling, but I was totally mistaken. This was, by far, the nastiest, most disgusting hotel room I've ever had the misfortune of staying in. We checked in and went into our room. I went into the bathroom only to find something red all over the floor and wall next to the toilet, some other stuff all along the wall next to the toilet that had been there and dripped down the wall, someone else's hair on the walls of the shower and in the tub, and an already dirty towel draped over the tub with what looked like an already used shampoo sitting on it. My 11-year-old daughter went to use the sink and the water wouldn't drain. Upon looking after the water finally drained down, there was something disgusting (I have absolutely no guess as to what it was) in the drain clogging it. My husband took care of it (I don't know if he pushed it down or dug it out because I don't want to know). When I went to turn the t.v. on, I noticed big splatters of something all over the wall next to the mirror and t.v. My husband grabbed the remote and asked if any of us had brought popcorn in with us. I told him we didn't have popcorn. There was popcorn and some other stuff all over the floor in between the beds where the nightstand was. My husband told the lady at the front desk about the bathroom, and she brought some man and a woman who didn't speak English with her and asked us to show him what the problem was. I showed him everything and he began speaking to the woman with him, I'm guessing about what I told him and am assuming she was a maid there. The front desk lady told me on her way back downstairs to let her know if he didn't get it cleaned up. I told her we would be going to Knoxville for the day and wouldn't be back until later in the evening, so they could do it during that time and she said okay. My daughter was in tears because she didn't want to stay in the room it was so gross. I knew we had no choice because everything was booked up. Since it was totally obvious from the room that management could care less about the facility, I anticipated that nothing would be cleaned while we were gone and I was right. But, in anticipating this, I bought some latex gloves and Clorox wipes while we were in Knoxville so I could clean it the best I could and at least try to make my daughters more comfortable. I didn't take a swab sample of what was on the walls in the bathroom and have all of it analyzed by the CSI crime lab to find out what it was, but I will tell you what my experiences and educated guesses are: the red stuff appeared to be from someone's menstrual flow that was on the floor and some on the wall. The rest of the stuff all along the wall next to the toilet that had dripped down was urine. It looked as though a male decided to aim back and forth all along the wall instead of using the toilet. Are you serious?! I'm at a hotel room wiping someone else's menstrual flow and urine off the floors and walls so my daughter will stop crying about having to stay in that disgusting place. Needless to say, we slept on top of the comforters for what little sleep we did get because of doors slamming all night long. I can't say what the pool area was like because my husband took my girls down there while I was trying to clean the room. We told the man at the front desk that nothing had been done about the cleanliness of the room (we never saw the front desk lady we initially spoke to again) and he said he was sorry and that's it. We had to stay two nights there. After the first night, we got up the next morning and would be gone all day. We put the "Please make our room Super 8 clean" sign on the outside handle. That's a total joke. No one came into our room while we were gone. The beds were still unmade, dirty towels were still hanging there, and we had no clean towels. My husband talked to someone else at the front desk about it AGAIN. A boy showed up knocking on our door a little while later with ONE towel and asked for the dirty ones. We were never so relieved to leave someplace more than here. When we were checking out and I was on my way out the door, I noticed the man at the front desk was on the phone. My husband was loading the truck and went back in to check out and complain again about the conditions of the room. The man said "Sorry about that," and didn't even bother getting off the phone the whole time my husband was talking. After he said sorry, he just continued on with his casual conversation to whoever was on the phone. Please, please, PLEASE do not stay in this disgusting, nasty, unsanitary hotel. Management could obviously care less about the hotel, its condition, or its cleanliness and definitely could care less about its patrons. Sleep in your car before even considering going to this place. This place should be shut down by the health department.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Woodhull, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

terrible experience! Uncleaned rooms after 3 trys of checking in. Finally checked in at midnight and 2 of our rooms had no towels and 1 room was not cleaned at all from the guest the night before. Manager said he would have his mom make the bed (She must be one of the 2 maids he said he had). Oh my Gosh NO Clean the room. Couldnt get him to do that so my son and his wife came to stay in our room and he followed us down the hall and said we couldnt have 4 in our room! We ended up driving home, Got in bed at home at 3:30 AM. There were other guest who didnt have clean rooms or towels. He gave them a towel out of his own apartment, YUCK! DO NOT SYAY HERE EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DRIVE 200 MILES FOR ANOTHER ROOM!!

Room Tip: Just Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Checked in, went to our room and there was an odor in the air the whole way including in the room. We walk in and there is an old TV just sitting on the floor. I'm assuming it must be the old one because there was one hooked up on the stand (the TV that was hooked up is old too). We were there a few minutes and I needed to use the bathroom. I went in, luckily only had to pee because the toilet handle was broken off and sitting on the top of the toilet. I didn't realize it until I went to flush. We let the front desk know and a guy came and fixed it. I tried to call the front desk to get the code for the WiFi and the phone broke. I got it fixed, called again, talked to somebody that hung up on me. After that I got on my phone and booked the Days Inn down the road. We left the Super 8 after being there less the an hour.

We were in town for a wedding. Other people we talked to had problems with it as well. Another guests room had mold in it and moved to another room. While at the front desk another guest was complaining to the clerk that his room had no TV remote.

I would sleep in my car before I would stay here. I am fairly certain our room hadn't been cleaned prior to our arrival. If it would have been the cleaning people surly would have noticed the toilet handle.

Room Tip: Book one of the many other hotels in the area. If they are all booked up, sleep in your car.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Washiington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Don't be fooled by the very well-kept exterior or the beautiful indoor pool: This Super 8 is one to be avoided. My lesson learned was to inspect the room before I rent it, and somehow I thought that that would not be necessary with this chain. The problem was not with cleanliness (aside from the large spider on the floor in the bathroom and the ferocious-looking beetle in the tub) but the facility has deteriorated so much that it needs complete renovation or a name change. And to add insult to injury, it was one of the most expensive Super 8's I have ever used. This is really one to be avoided, and there are plenty of other choices in Grinnell.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you decide to stay there.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Super 8 Grinnell? Share your experiences!