“Nice Room, Lousy Breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Grinnell
boulder, co
“Nice Room, Lousy Breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our room was pleasant and seemed updated, the bedding and bed were very good. The room was clean, but there were some half-dead bugs near the bed which I showed the Gen. Mgr. He assured me they were beetles from the cornfield, a fact of life in Iowa, ok, I guess. The bathroom light was connected to a very loud fan which you could not shut off, very annoying. The shower did not drain which should have been noticed by housekeeping.

The breakfast was the big disappointment. I've stayed at many hotels with waffle makers which are always a treat, but this time the waffles were terrible, they had blueberry ones which were as artificial as can be and came out very soggy. The regular ones weren't much better. The scrambled eggs were gross and the bacon couldn't have been any softer. The orange juice tasted yucky and the coffee was as weak as it gets. I will give them credit for some nice fresh fruit. But overall, very poor.

At the price point this hotel charges, I will look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We were very impressed with the hotel. Very clean and fairly new. Best of all, no smoky smell (like other Iowa/Illinois hotels). The staff was very friendly (but perhaps over worked). Recomendations and directions were helpful. The pool and hot tub were clean. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brian S, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
We are very glad you had a good hotel stay with us. The team hopes to see you and your family back soon!

Best Western Team
Elliott, iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have always been comfortable in the knowlege that a stay at a Best Western would be completely stress free. I travel a lot and have stayed in hotels of all levels. I was very disappointed in my stay at this facility, To start, I was quoted a price, but was charged a price $10 higher. Saturday, my roomwas cleaned but no towels were left in the room. I called the desk and was informed that they were behind and would bring towels as soon as they were available. I went to my function without showering and when I returned later found that no towels had ever been delivered. I had to go to the desk to get some at 11 PM. Saturday morning we attempted to partake of the breakfast. We found no milk, no bread, 1 biscuit, pan scrapings for gravy,1 pastry and no spoons to eat with. An hour passed and no one checked to refill anything. People that arrived after we did had to do without. I could go on about the ugly tub, trash that wasn't emptied, the security door that wouldn't latch, but you get the idea. This was an adequate $70 room. It was a poor $100 room. Other motels in town. Fill them first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jerry,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 641-236-6116.

Brian Scheffert
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

After traveling for hours on end, I arrived here and the staff was amazing! The place was extremely clean and lovely! It was the best nights sleep I had after being stuck in Wisconsin in a HELL hotel! HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Friendly staff members and fresh cookies greeted us as we entered the lobby. A quick check-in and we went to our room to find everything very newly renovated. NO smoke smell (unusual in Iowa), VERY comfortable beds and plenty of room for a Porta Crib and my 1-year-old grandson to play. We had one small issue and it was handled quickly and above my expectations right away. We were then apologized to at least three times! The pool was clean and the perfect temperature, as was the hot tub. Only negative is no elevator, but with plenty of main floor rooms and only one level up, not a big deal.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, where the lobby is if a NO Smoking room is important to you.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Tracy and the Manager Brian were phenomenal during our stay at the Best Western in Grinnell a week ago. When we arrived, there was no power, so Tracy was not able to check people in nor see anything whatsoever, as the lights were out. She calmly wrote everyone's names down and moved folks into rooms, which had been propped open, as the room keys would not work due to no power. As the weekend progressed and there was still no television or internet because of the storms, the staff remained calm and pleasant and went out of their way to make sure that we had everything else we needed within their power. We missed watching tv before going to bed the first night, but by the second evening it was back up and working.

This staff needs to be applauded for handling a situation that could have ruined our opinion of this hotel and our stay, but Tracy and Brian handled it with poise and patience. Not to mention the beds were unbelievably comfortable and the room was super large!

We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Staff was friendly & helpful. A nice steak place is next door for dinner. Room was clean. There are 2 buildings, so if you dont mind walking over for your breakfast & to use the pool, ask for a room in the main building. Would stay here again if in the area. No problems.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!