“Don't let the atmosphere fool you...this place has great homestyle comfort food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Corn Patch Restaurant and Lounge

The Corn Patch Restaurant and Lounge
309 1ST St, Grimes, IA 50111-4757
(515) 986-9013
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Grimes
Grimes, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Best potato soup in greater Des Moines. It's family run and they pride themselves on great food, great service and low prices. The fried chicken puts KFC to shame and the prime rib is every bit as good as the pricey restaurants.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Split Meal Option”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant offered a great option to split one meal, so my husband and I split a steak. With the soup, salad, bread and choice of another side apiece, we were definitely full. Of course, we had to split a piece of their scrumptious cheesecake. Our waiter was the best.

Des Moines
“Nice Family Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I love the fact that you get a big tourine of homemade potato soup anc baked bread with your meal. The rueben sandwich was excellent. The baked chicken wasn't very exciting. It was cooked to perfection and the coating was crispy, but it lacked in flavor. Ther service was slow, but it appeared there were only 2 waitresses. I would go back again.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gimes, IA
“Poor management.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

The soup and bread were very enjoyable for everyone in our party. When my order (Ribeye steak) arrived it looked scrumptious! However, as I was getting ready to cut into it, I noticed a dead insect floating in the au jus on the plate. Not wanting to ruin the experience or appetites of fellow patrons, I quietly showed the server. She did the right thing by apologizing and offering to get me a new one. I thanked her and said that would not be necessary. A few moments later the manager came over and asked if I was the "one with the Ribeye". I confirmed that it had been brought with an insect floating in the au jus, further stating that it appeared to be a mosquito. Her response was outrageous. "Mosquito? Well, I looked at it and thought maybe it was a gnat from the lettuce or something." I simply responded, "I am not going to argue with you about what type of insect it was."
Should it matter what type of insect it was? The point here was that there was a bug in my food.
When the bill for our family arrived, the price of the Ribeye had been crossed out. At the bottom was written "Soup/salad $7.95". I did not have any salad, but the soup that is served complimentary with every meal, including those with insects, is $7.95!

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Des Moines
“The service has really slipped since I ate there last in 2008.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The handicapped parking in front was all filled by non-handicapped cars. Forcing a 4-year Iraqi war vet with a shot hip to park in back by the dumpsters. Anotther handicapped man dropped his spouse off at the door in a wheelchair and parked down the street due to all of the handicapped parking being taken by non-placarded cars. The little waitress brought us a half-full bowl of soup 15 minutes after we were seated. She brought one-quarter full refill and never asked if we wanted a refill. She took our order and brought us the entrees without the salads. I asked for horseradish sauce. She went went back and got us the salads which we ate. I again asked her for the horseradish since the meat had been on the table for 15 minutes by then after eating the late arriving salads. I ordered the prime rib medium well but it was cooked to well done without a trace of pink left. It was as tough as shoe leather or horse meat. We asked for pop refills she said it's been hectic here even though the room was half-empty. I see they are doing Groupons there to try to get people to come back. If you don't have help better then that ditzy girl we won't be back.

• Visited November 2011