“Fabulous - Must stay here!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Julien Dubuque

You added Hotel Julien Dubuque to your Saves list
Hotel Julien Dubuque
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Main Street, Dubuque, IA 52001 (Formerly the Julien Inn)   |
Special Offer
Free parking
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Westphalia, MO
“Fabulous - Must stay here!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

OMGosh - what a find - this hotel is fabulous, gorgeous, out of this world!!! We stayed here 2 nights on our 20 year anniversary! It was perfect, very very clean, staff was very helpful and polite, they helped us with directions and recomended different activities that were going on in their town and area towns the weekend we were there. We ate several meals in their restaurant and they were all fabulous as well. We visted Galena Illinois, which is only 15 miles away - wonderful little historical town with tons of shops and restaurants too - but stay in Dubuque at this hotel!!!! I give this hotel 10 stars out of 5!!! We will definately be back!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I was booking a trip to Galena for the weekend and couldn't find any affordable places to stay. I widened my search and found Hotel Julien and am I glad I did. We stayed in a King Executive Room and the accomodations were wonderful. We felt like we were on vacation from the minute we walked into the room. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on. I always appreciate the small touches and having a fridge and robes in our room was a nice bonus.The staff was friendly, the room was quiet and I will be staying here again.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

If I ever return to Dubuque, you can bet I will stay at this hotel again. I'm very picky about where I stay and this place passed all the tests. Clean. Quiet. Comfortable room. Awesome bath shower. Staff friendly. Great location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

When I stay in smaller cities, I usually don't expect much from the accommodations--either something clean but basic or fancy but rundown. This hotel looked like a cut above the rest when I looked at it on the internet, but the internet often paints an overly rosy picture. I was shocked then, that it was actually even better than it looked. It has been recently renovated, expensively and tastefully, and it has a classy, classic look with modern amenities. I was really impressed by every aspect of the remodeling and the decor. My wife and I have stayed at a lot of expensive hotels, including great boutique hotels in many cities, but I think this might be the most beautiful hotel I've ever seen. It also had a fancy coffeemaker, a widescreen television, and a super comfortable bed. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful too. Whoever put this all together has done an excellent job.

Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

I hate to write a bad review of this hotel because we had such high hopes when we booked it and there were elements that were really good. The lobby and hallways were gorgeous, views were great, beds were extremely comfortable and the room size was spacious. The bathroom was about three times larger than normal hotel bathrooms and had a full tiled all glass surround shower. The room itself was great. Loved everything about it except the windows full of hand and finger prints from previous guests. Aside from that we really liked everything about the room.

So there are many good things about this hotel, not to mention the location.

But it takes more than that to make a hotel worthy of a good review. You need consistent business practices, polite employees and honesty. The entire experience is what makes the hotel. Unfortunately, we didn't experience that.

The first issue is that our room rate changed three times (not because of bar or snack basket items, this is the actual room rate): there was the rate we booked when we made the reservation, the room rate they told us at check in ($50 more) and the rate they told us at check out ($100 more). The young lady who checked us in was EXTREMELY rude and loud when we tried to discuss the rate discrepancy. It was emberassing.

When you book at a hotel you expect them to honor the price you were given--not change it at check in and yet again right before you check out via a "receipt" slipped under your door. That is wrong.

What bothers me more than the rate change is that I accidentally left something behind in the room. There is no doubt about that; however, housekeeping says nothing was found. I wore it the day I stayed there, know exactly where I left it, and called the next day to retreive it, but was told nothing was there. The reason I left it behind was because I had just found the receipt they flung under the door and was eager to check out and resolve yet another mistake the hotel made. So it was yet another "thing" that made what could have been such a great stay, really disappointing.

I felt cheated, nickeled and dimed and robbed after staying here. Who knows, maybe Capone's spirit is hanging around the hotel.

I have a million great things to stay about Dubuque and will be back. The casinos are fun and the restaurants, museums and riverboat tours are wonderful, but I personally will never stay at the Hotel Julien again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed in Suite #502. Beautiful corner room suite. Large rooms,large kitchenette. Bathroom was very nice,glass shower with tile. Comfy beds with a flat screen in bedroom and main room. Very clean and quiet.

We also used the pool and hot tub. Also took advantage of a hot stone massage at the Potosa Spa.

We enjoyed the Julien so much, we plan to stay there quarterly.

Dodgeville, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

My wife and I recently celebrated a wedding aniversary in Dubuque and spent a night at the Julien. Great experience. The room was very nice, well decorated, large bath, and a sunny view of the Mississippi River & harbor. Extremely quiet. The wireless Internet worked well, and staff was helpful and not intrusive. We used the pool downstairs and it too was very nice.

Personally, I enjoyed hanging out in the lobby soaking in the old-timey feel of the place and roamed the corridors looking at the turn-of-the-century photos and posters that adorn the walls there. We didn't use the restaurant, but did stop in at the bar before calling it a nght (again very old and historic).

I called earlier in the week to inquire about room rates, and was quoted $119+ tax for a standard room. Instead I went to Priceline and got a small discount ($95 +$18 in taxes). Was a little surprised I couldn't snag a lower rate, but in the end it really was a good value. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Julien Dubuque? Share your experiences!