“Stayed here on a Travelzoo coupon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Julien Dubuque

You added Hotel Julien Dubuque to your Saves list
Hotel Julien Dubuque
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Main Street, Dubuque, IA 52001 (Formerly the Julien Inn)   |
Special Offer
Free parking
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque
Freeport, Illinois
“Stayed here on a Travelzoo coupon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very nice room and great location. For some reason they gave us a handicapped room, but it was lovely. Loved the decor and the whole area was great for walking. Parking was free. We ate breakfast in the Caroline room which is their restaurant and it was very good and a lot of it. Check in was quick and the room offered all the amenities that you would expect from a 5 star hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear ebenezer15,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hotel Julien Dubuque.

The Team of Hotel Julien Dubuque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Evansville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This place has been so tastefully renovated and decorated. They have not used cheap measures to fix up this historical hotel. The beds were some of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. The rooms were very quiet, I only heard someone once walk by our room talking, and it was not in the middle of the night. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We went on a Living Social deal or else it would have been more than what I would normally pay for a hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor and had 2 queen size beds, and we were very comfortable and looked out over...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear KathyP10,

Fond du Lac, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Restored building that is very well appointed, with fairly spacious rooms. However, we had issues like wet carpet that never did get taken care of. They promised us a "river view" but what we saw were other old buildings blocking our view. We could see one small sliver of the river. Might be better on the top floor, we were on the 5th. Very pricey for what you get. Definitely not for someone looking for an overnight stay for a good value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear frances564,

We appreciate your kind words that you have shared. In every case, the front desk staff do their best to accomodate the many various requests for room locations. The first one that is always met is the specific room type reserved, from that point the ability to meet specific location requests are worked on.

Requests range from near others that they are traveling with, lower floor, higher floor, near emergency exits, near elevator, away from elevator, sunrise view, sunset river, river view, bridge view, the list goes on and on, unfortunately with a four sided building, there are some requests that cannot be met with 100% satisfaction.

CLEAR LAKE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have stayed at the Julien several times and we love the grand old hotel. However the service does not match the quality of the hotel. We stayed the 13-15th of june.Once we checked in we searched the hotel for a luggage cart to move our own bags. They are on the first floor in the right corner past the elevator. The other option is hauling them up 2 flights of steps. This gets you to the elevator to finish hauling them to your room. after we hauled our own luggage we found the air conditioning wasn't working and the windows were dirty. Maintainance adjusted the air conditioning, I cleaned the big window. Friday was ok after we convinced housekeeping to clean our room. Saturday afternoon we called down and asked our room to be cleaned about 1:30, they said they would. We left for the afternoon and upon returning walked into a dirty room. At 5:30 they sent up a maintainance person to clean our room, while we were in it. This was uncomfortable for us so we went and sat in the haul. With two wedding parties downstairs we didn't have many options. At 6:50 we got back in our room. Needless to say I missed my dinner reservation at Timmermans Supper Club. This was for Fathers day and my Birthday. It was our first trip to Dubuque in almost 2 years. We were very disappointed. I would not recommend this hotel. I apoligize to the Supper Club for not making the reservation.

Room Tip: try another hotel
Dear tjshideout,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Hotel Julien Dubuque.

Our apology for the experience that occurred; luggage service is always available upon request from any of the front desk staff members.

The reason that there are two elevators from the back parking area is due to the ADA and the need to maintain the historic significance of the lobby. Additional parking is available on the front side of the hotel that allows the use of the main guest room tower.

Your concern about the guestroom housekeeping service was reviewed with the staff, it was believed that a Do Not Disturb card was haning on the door to your room, thus the delayed service to the room.

We truly do value each and every comment our guests share about their experience; we wiish that we could turn back the clock to ensure that everything during your stay would have exceeded your expectations. We will learn to grow through caring guests as your self.

Thank you.

Team Hotel Julien
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed for only two nights but had a wonderful time. I would have given it an excellent rating, but I feel it was too pricey. We went on a Living Social package so it was then worth the money. We stayed in a premier king suite and it was like a one bedroom condo. We had full size appliances, a separate bedroom from the sitting area and two televisions. It was very, very clean and nicely decorated. My only complaint was that there was only a shower and no tub. We ate at Caroline's in the hotel and the food was delicious and the service very professional. I also used the spa and had a wonderful wrap. All in all it was great if you don't mind the cost.

Dear IllinoisGiGiK,

Waverly, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I need a day away from life and this hotel seemed to fit the bill. I just needed to relax and just take care of me.

I had booked the travel zoo voucher. Fair warning to those who book this, you cannot upgrade and pay the difference with this room. I had called a few days prior and spoke with one of their representatives. He had indicated I could upgrade to a whirlpool suite and pay the difference. He proceeded to change my booking as such. When I arrived at the hotel, I found out that is not the case. The deal with travel zoo only allows them to book the appropriate room as stated on the voucher. Yep, I get it, but it should be explained better on the voucher AND to the staff. Regardless, after getting the manager, it was actually discovered that my room type (king/queen deluxe) wasn't even available that night, so I got the whirlpool room without paying a penny more. Guess it was my lucky night! ($300 hotel room for $99, and that included $20 for breakfast)

Regardless of the mix-up, I can't dock this hotel points. I've visited this hotel a number of times to eat in their restaurant (Carolines) and peek around the lobby. Its a beautiful place, and I always wanted to stay there. The room I had was on the 5th floor, a corner room. This meant there were windows throughout and the room was flooded with light. They had sheer curtains over the windows. This made for just a beautiful ambiance in the room, day or night. I had a view of the downtown area from one side and the river from the other. STUNNING. They had a keurig coffe maker and wine and glasses that could be enjoyed in the room for a fee. They also had a snack basket and a fridge with an honor bar. The whirlpool was absolutely an oversized whirlpool and would easily fit two. The bathroom was super roomy with a glass shower. All in all, just a super high class room.

I ordered room service from Carolines that night, which was wonderul. I think it was seafood mac n cheese. Regardless, I've yet to ever have a bad meal at Carolines. One of the best hotel restaurants I've ever eaten at. I also took advantage of my $20 voucher for the morning. Breakfast consisted of eggs benedict, sausages, juice, and coffee. This didn't even cover my voucher, and it was all delicioius.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Regardless of the mix up with the check in, the evening was superb. In fact, once I checked in, I was so comfy that I never left the room (except for ice) until the next day around 11am. If you get a chance to stay here, I say go for it!

I would use the Travel Zoo voucher again and would probably just opt for the standard room, as I am sure its just as lovely. But I was spoiled with the suite. Thank you Hotel Julien for a fantastic and relaxing stay. Its just what I needed to wind down!

Room Tip: The whirlpool suite is beautiful if you can get a reasonable price!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
HJDMananger, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Wanger1969,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Julien Dubuque. Our apology for the mix-up; contractually, we need to respect the Travelzoo program.

The corner suites are terrific rooms to simply just "chill out". Whether it is a whirlpool or premier king, one can almost have no reason to leave.

We truly appreciate the kind words about Caroline's. The wait staff and kitchen staff work tirelessly hard every day. They will be thrilled to read of your enjoyment.

Hope to see you again soon!

Team Hotel Julien Dubuque

PS: With it being your lucky season, may be worth picking up a lottery ticket!
St. Louis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I purchased a travelzoo vocuher for the Hotel Julien. I was very excited for my visit to the Hotel Julien. I have purchased many travelzoo vouchers before and never had an issue.....until now. I opted to purchase the $199 voucher for a king or queen sweet. This voucher could be used 7 days a week and includes a 50.00 credit to the spa and a $20 wine tasting. There is another voucher for only $99, but it is Sunday - Thursday only, and doesn't include the extra $70.00 in amenities. I tried to book a room and was notified that there were only two open weekend days (one Friday, and one Saturday) available for coupon users. While the staff was not out-rightly rude, they were certainly condescending and unwilling to critically think to solve an issue with a guest that had already paid-they were not flexible at all. When asked why they would sell a voucher that was only good for two days, they responded that it was good for seven days and went so far as to suggest that many guests opt to pay the extra $100.00 to get the extra $70.00 in amenities. Simply put, I am disappointed by the professionalism and service that this hotel provides.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HJDMananger, General Manager at Hotel Julien Dubuque, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Stlchiropractor,

In reviewing your comments regarding your Travelzoon purchase, it is unfortunate that the days preferred were already reserved. Out of the next 47 days, there are 42 days were the $199 voucher is available to be used. In addition, there maybe cancellations that occur on the few days that presently are sold out, thus the voucher could have still be redeemed possibly on your travel dates.

The $199 voucher that you mentioned includes the added $70.00 amenities, also includes a Premier King or Luxury Queen Suite, that is why the staff member stated that "guests spend the addtional $100". The $99 voucher is for an Executive Room, not the Premier King or Queen Suites. Hundreds of guests have paid for the unpgraded suite.

If the room type that you purchased the voucher for wasn't available on your date of expected travel, there really wasn't a "critical thinking" option for the staff to make. The rules regarding the use of Travelzoo vouchers are clear and contractually require the participating hotels to follow.

The Travelzoo vouchers are always based on availability, we apologize that on the dates that you preferred to travel weren't first available. Over 2000 Travelzoo travelers have enjoyed Hotel Julien Dubuque to the point that the hotel is going to be featured in an exclusive club of VIP Travelzoo users. This club will be announced shortly.

Thank you for your feedback.

Dwight Hopfauf
Hotel Julien Dubuque

Been to Hotel Julien Dubuque? Share your experiences!