“Needed a place to avoid ice storm” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Dubuque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Alexis Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I call this a Basic+ as it has a few features that a lot of other basics do not offer. It is an old motor lodge which makes parking very convenient to your room. Also the doors open directly to the outside, so if you are a smoker it makes it very simple to step out. They do offer both smoking and non smoking rooms. The rooms were average size, not overly large but not rinky dink either. Our room was clean and in good repair. Some of the furniture showed a little wear, but nothing major. The room was clean and everything worked as it should. King bed, desk, dresser, chair, fridge and microwave. Heater/air unit was newer and very quiet. Bed was comfy with great pillows. Towels a little on the thinner side, but clean and served their purpose. My only complaint with the room itself, really has nothing to do with this particular hotel, but a change that many hotels are making. In an effort to be "green" no trash can liners are used? Do the policy makers not realize cause and effect, yes no liners means less plastic but...it also means more water and chemical useage to keep those cans clean and presentable, couple that with the personal man power(and chemical) exposure..well one cancels out the other! Not changing the sheets daily and reusing of towels are fine, after all live this way daily, but no trash can liners, jeesh!

Ok enough rant! The hotel had a nice breakfast buffet, limited but nice. The lobby is inviting and cozy. There is a bar and grill on site, which was very nice(one of my +) on the weekends they have live music and the ones there when we stayed (kenny and jeremy) were very good, really enjoyed them.

Another + is that they will arrange the casino shuttles to come for you. Very prompt service and nice not having to drive and park at the casino. The location is very central, but yet set back off the road so very quiet and private feeling. The entrance is a bit hard to find at first though. The pool is outside so we couldn't use it this trip, but the area looked very nice with lighted palm trees and right off the lounge. All in all great stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ron C, Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Days Inn - Dubuque.... We are one of the motels in Dubuque who have been here for many many years, however, we are passionate about offering services that no other hotel/motel in this category does. Thank you for your input and we look forward to your next stay with us. I will mention the no trash can liners with our housekeeping dept. I believe you have a very good point!
ottumwa, iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Overall, this hotel was nice. On premises lounge and reasonably nice breakfast and nice dining area. Very helpful and friendly staff and clean grounds. They provide free entertainment in lounge on weekends, also. Outdoor pool but I stayed in January

Room Tip: I had rooms on both sides of hotel during my stay. I enjoyed looking at the rock face more than the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ron C, Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you Richard for your response and for staying with us! We are family owned and operated with the owners being very actively hands on. Our on-site Bar & Grill is a great addition to our property also owned by our family. Come visit us again in the summer when our pool and courtyard area is open! Thank you again for your business.
Edwardsville, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

You get what you pay for--every time I go to Dubuque I stay here, because it's close to my destination and the great price. Nothing fancy, but it's the best value in the area, in my opinion. The free breakfast is OK, somewhat limited, but for this price, there's at least something to eat for everyone. And I like it because I'm a smoker & they have at least some smoking rooms available.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ron C, Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you so much for repeatedly staying with us when you visit Dubuque! We strive to be the best value in the area, offering micro/fridge in each room, free wi-fi, on-site bar & grill, free breakfast, on-site laundry, etc., yet still at a great price. Safe travels to you.
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I rented two rooms for 12/31/12. The first room was fine, except the toilet did not flush in the morning. It worked out because my husband was able to manually flush it. We let them know it wasn't working at check out. There was a more severe problem with the second room. After booking online I called the hotel directly to make sure at least one of the rooms was on first floor. One of the people in this room had a disability and would not be able to make it up the stairs to a 2nd floor room (no elevators). I was assured by a very nice desk clerk this would be no problem and he would request both rooms be on floor one. When we arrived they did receive a 1st floor room. We didn't- they told us there were no other first floor rooms left. No big deal. A few hours later we went to leave and discovered their 1st floor room (room 109) would not lock. We called the front desk. They came, also tried to lock the door, and couldn't. They offered to put them in another room. However as there were no rooms left on the first floor this wasn't going to work. We ended up bringing everything in their room up to our room. At 2 a.m. when we returned we brought their belongings back down to them. This was repeated in the morning when we went to breakfast. I feel a basic expectation of a room is some element of privacy. The manager was not working when we checked out. I was told he would be back in on Thursday. I emailed him about the problem and told him I felt some sort of compensation was needed. I am not a person to complain, and this is the first time I have ever done so, but seriously, having a room you can't leave and lock is not normal. The manager did not return my email. I emailed him again 5-6 days later. This time he called me. He offered a 15% discount off a future room. He said we were offered another room. I said yes, but the guest couldn't walk up to a 2nd floor room (all that was left). He then stated I didn't request a 1st floor room. I told him I called after making my reservation. Since I didn't get the front desk individuals name he seemed to not believe me. He also stated I had booked through Expedia. I had booked through an online site I had not realized was Expedia (different site that utilized Expedia)- this seems to of made a difference, though. I guess we were 2nd class guests. I will not go back here. Not only did the manager not get back to me in a timely manner, but I feel 15% is a joke. I was not expecting a free night, but he should have made a reasonable offer. It's a good thing they had friends in another room or they would of had to move to another hotel. Something good: I did like the free breakfast. I am giving this hotel a terrible rating, not because the room didn't lock, but in how they have handled it. If it hadn't been for this, I would of rated it a 3.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ron C, Manager at Days Inn Dubuque, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Elizabeth: I know I had spoke with you directly on the telephone. I apologize again for the lock malfunction you experienced. However, our front desk staff did in fact offer you a room change which is protocol when something of this nature occurs. The first room offered, was a smoking room on the 2nd floor. The second room offered was a non-smoking room on the first floor. I am aware you declined both of these offers. I understand you were in a smoking room on the first floor, and we did not have any availability with the exact room type you were already in. As a front desk clerk, protocol is to offer a room change upon availability which we did and make sure our maintenance team corrects the problem in a timely manner. I will personally make sure your next stay with us is pleasurable as expected. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our maintenance team has corrected the problem.

Been to Days Inn Dubuque? Share your experiences!