“Not what it seems...Do not eat here!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #95 of 173 Restaurants in Dubuque
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Delicatessen
Chicago, IL
“Not what it seems...Do not eat here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I went here with a friend on a Thursday afternoon. We ordered a caramel latte and a cappuccino, which were mediocre. We decided to order a couple sandwiches as well as it was lunch time. I ordered the caprese panini and my friend ordered a reuben panini both with their ranch pasta salad. The sandwiches were in fact just that, and NOT panini's in any sense.

Mine consisted of tomatoes, cheese, and basil (sounds fabulous, doesn't it?). However there was a mere sprinkle of basil on my sandwich, which unfortunately you couldn't even taste. Because of this (and the shock of the lack of basil on it) I returned the sandwich and asked politely if I could have more basil. The older lady behind the counter seemed offended. Now, this sandwich was extremely lacking in every sense to say the least, so I couldn't believe the rude response I received. Basil is one of the easiest plants to grow and they in fact had a ton of it growing inside of the restaurant. I honestly felt like picking some from the pot, rinsing and adding it to my sandwich. My friend's reuben was satisfactory but was also a very "slim" sandwich. Meaning more bread than sandwich toppings. This might not be an issue for some, but when you pay $9-11 per sandwich, it's definitely not worth it.

Our bill was $28 for two sandwiches & two small coffee drinks. I would not return here because of the attitude of the woman and the overpriced food. It's just not worth it. Their menu misrepresents what you really get, and in reality--panini's don't exist there. It's really unfortunate because the place is beautiful inside and could have real potential if the owners understood how to run a welcoming and adequate establishment.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Nice discovery!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I were in Dubuque for a few hours around lunchtime, and found The Naughty Dog on our way to the library (it's across the street). It was a cold day, so it was nice to warm up with some soup and a sandwich. This is a friendly little place, and both the soup and the sandwich were pretty good. I'd definitely recommend ordering a piece of pie, too, if they have it. Lunch was a little pricey, but worth it.

The one little nitpick ..... I don't mind mismatched plates, but perhaps swap out the ones with chips?

Anyway -- a nice place to stop and grab a bite, or even hang out for a little bit. Comfortable, and comforting food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nice to Support the Local Restaurants but.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

The Naughty Dog is a cute little cafe! The fact that you can sit out on the deck when the weather is great! I've been able to go for both breakfast and lunch. If I had to choose, breakfast is better. The prices of the food is higher. I think this is due to the fact they like to buy local and organic, both of which I love! However the food itself I have not been Impressed with. I wouldn't go as far as to call it bland but..it needed something else. The owners are friendly and you can bring dogs. If you are In the area and have tried all the local restaurants do not be afraid to give this a try.

Durango, Iowa
“Love This Place.... Super Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Got very lucky when visiting the area and walked here while staying downtown. Walked in to cute decor and such a friendly atmosphere. Had a freshly prepared breakfast sandwich and dark french roast coffee that was amazing. Watched as locals came in the door and even before they could say good morning, already had their "regular" order ready for them. Met the owner too who is down to earth and very nice. Learned she was from Boulder as well so that must be part of it. Iowa people have been so nice and this place truly reflects that as well. Can't wait to visit here again when we move to the area. We would and will recommend this to anyone in the area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Dubuque = turkey dressing sandwich = Naughty dog”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Being an old river rat from Dubuque I'll tell you a bit of local lore - turkey dressing sandwiches. They are a Dubuque staple are weddings, funerals, church festivals and family gatherings. Now don't mistake turkey with dressing for this rare treat - there is no turkey in a turkey dressing sandwich, at least not whole, unblended turkey. It is just turkey dressing served on a nice white bun. I know what you are thinking - dressing is mostly bread, a bun is bread, therefore this is bread on bread. Yep, now you've got it!
Well ya gotta try it before you judge it - it's the first thing I have when I come back home. Anywho - the Naughty Dog takes turkey dressing sandwiches to another level, kind of like what lobster Mac and cheese is to Kraft Mac and Cheese. Oh, the N dog only makes up the rare treat sometimes so call ahead, but thy have other equally good food so you won't be disappointed there either.

Dennis Kirkwood